“Lovely hotel in great location”

Loews Regency New York Hotel
Ranked #30 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Lovely hotel in great location”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

The hotel is newly remodeled and is lovely. We were given a handicapped accessible room which turned out to be very nice because it was larger than a regular room. The bed was fantastic. I don't know whether it was just because we were so tired from walking everywhere, but the bed was great. The front desk reception was very nice and immediately secured a car for us to go to Laguardia on a very rainy monday morning when Uber was charging 2.5x rates. The restaurant is beyond overpriced. We had continental breakfast included, but it was not worth it - 38/pp for toast, juice and coffee. So we had to pay an extra 15 dollars for a bowl o berries. The hotel didn't do anything "extra" like a welcome amenity and turndown service was meh. One water bottle for two people, no chocolates. For 500/night, I like seeing the chocolate fairy.....

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GMO92000
Kristi B, Public Relations Manager at Loews Regency New York Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for your feedback GMO92000. We are happy to hear you thought the rooms were spacious and well appointed and the beds were comfortable! Apologies that you thought the restaurant was overpriced....we can assure you that we are well in line with other Midtown Manhattan restaurants. However, in addition to the restaurant, we do also offer breakfast at the Sant Ambroeus Coffee Bar if you are looking for a less formal experience, and at a much lower price point. We love their coffee and pastries! As for turn-down, this should have been offered to you upon check-in and we apologize if it was not. We offer turn-down service to all our guests! Please come back and give us another try when you're in NYC!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Reviewed June 10, 2014

You can't beat the Regency's location. Park and 61st is just central enough to be convenient but feels a whole world away from the upscale hotels even a few blocks south. The best shopping in Manhattan is a walk away, too.

My husband and I stayed at the Regency for years but the property was in need of a real upgrade. I joined him on a business trip to NY a couple of weeks ago and was happy he booked the Regency. I was even happier when I walked into the hotel after a long day of travel. The lobby is inviting and more spacious than before. Given how much the lobby bar has always been a part of the Regency culture, the open sight line to the bar is wonderful too.

Our room was tasteful and luxurious without being over the top. Loved the marble and polished chrome fixtures in the bathroom of our suite.

The staff has always been first-rate and we were so happy to see so many familiar faces, especially after the hotel's year-long closure.

We will be back in Manhattan soon and the Regency is back on the top of our list of favorite hotels!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for the kind words Lila W! We are happy you and your husband decided to come back after our year long renovation, and even more thrilled hat you like the new look and feel of Loews Regency. The designers have done an amazing job! We look forward to welcoming you back when you're next in town!
Liverpool
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel for 4 nights from the 2nd of June 2014, we flew to JFK which is approximately 40 minutes from the hotel in a taxi (which cost approximately $70 including tip - around £42). When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by a very welcoming doorman named Barry, he and the other doorman Oscar are extremely friendly and helpful with great knowledge of New York you can ask them anything and they'll be able to help you!
All of the check in staff were also very lovely and helpful, the rooms were very comfortable with nice big beds, the bathroom has a TV in the mirror which was a nice touch. - one downfall was that our room offered little view other than a primary school behind the hotel, which was a little awkward as our room was level with the upper classroom so we had to keep the blinds down when getting ready in the morning but other than that it didn't really bother us as we were out most of the day anyway - and they were gone by the time we got back in to get ready for the evening at around 4pm.

The location - the hotel is in a very nice area of New York, about a 10 minute walk to 5th avenue and close to central park. However, its around 30 minutes+ to Times square and around the same to the empire state building (although it can take longer dependant upon which route you walk- often we'd get lost and it'd take a hour to get to times square) but with that being said its a nice walk, you get to see more sights and shops. - there are much closer hotels to times square however that would then be a longer walk to 5th avenue and to places such as grand central.. so in that sense its a great location.

The food in the restaurant is nice - my boyfriend had a burger which he really enjoyed, I had the pasta and that was good but nothing special.

Uncle Jacks steak house - recommended by Oscar and Barry- was Great, best steak in New York definitely - we got the 48 ounce sharer steak which was delicious- although quite expensive we don't drink so we just had 2 Cokes and water - the total bill plus tip came to $150 - but it is worth it and I think there are a few cheaper options on the menu.
There's plenty of places to eat in the area or you can get a $10 dollar taxi or walk about 20 minutes to all of the places to eat near to time square.

P.s I know this isn't about the hotel either but we watched 'of mice and men' on Broadway and it was a amazing- worth every penny I would definitely recommend this as a must see if you have time during your stay!

Room Tip: Front of the hotel probably offers a better view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank natalie w
Thank you so much for your review Natalie W! Great news that you and your boyfriend had such a fabulous stay at Loews Regency and also enjoyed New York. As you mention, some of our rooms have NY City Scape Views and some rooms have views over Park Avenue. Both are wonderful and offer a different perspective of NYC. We'll make sure Oscar and Barry are well recognized for being so helpful! Thanks for staying with us and please come back again soon.
Switzerland
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I booked this hotel as a birthday treat to my younger sister for her first visit to NYC. My initial correspondence with the hotel was perhaps an indicator that this experience was going to be one to forget. It took the concierge almost a week to respond and the reservation team was not helpful when I tried to follow up.

In general, the front desk team was not helpful at all, however, the housekeeping staff were pleasant. The front desk even implied that none of my requests would be carried out because on this occasion I had booked through a third party website and not directly on the Loews website. Well quite frankly what a farce. If Loews wants to be exclusive it should not advertise itself on these websites. I had to cut my trip early for business in DC and contemplated staying at the Loews in DC but after the NYC experience, I decided against this.

Ironically I booked this hotel at the last minute after cancelling my booking with a midtown hotel after I realized that it had tiny bathrooms, however, upon check in at the Loews we were given two rooms that had the tiniest bathrooms where the shower curtain touched the toilet. Gross. I also noticed a few hairs in the bed on the first night although everything else in the rooms was incredibly clean. I had read so many great reviews on TripAdvisor and so had high expectations that were not met in the slightest. The staff at the hotel had plenty of opportunity to provide great customer service but I feel extremely let down.

It seems upgrades are given to a certain type of guest. The hotel didn’t even give my sister a room upgrade or any other personal touch for her 21st birthday! I was not impressed by the front desk staff and therefore I wasn’t prepared to spend any more money on other hotel services. Happily spent this elsewhere in Manhattan!

The amenities in the room were average, no vanity kit, no toothbrush, no tea or coffee making facilities and slippers for one, and a turndown service that was so-so. One room received for one person even though we were two and the other room did not receive this at all. Staying here was a huge error. I have had much better service at the Ritz, Mandarin Oriental, Swissotel and Sofitel hotels and the Loews was a huge disappointment.

View was awful, a grey building opposite. Asked for allergy free room but we woke up each day struggling to breathe. We were also not able to use car service despite reserving.

Best feature of the hotel was the TV in bathroom mirror and the proximity to Central Park.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank swiss_voyager83
James M, General Manager at Loews Regency New York Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Hello swiss-voyager83: Thank you for taking a moment to deliver such succint feedback. Let me just begin by apologizing. Your experience certainly does not make for good reading and I can assure you it is not the norm in this hotel. Would you be so kind as to contact me directly? I'd love the chance to discuss this matter personally. You may reach me at: jmcpartlin@loewshotels.com or 212 339 4002. I look forward to speaking with you.

Cordially,

Jim
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I have been staying at this property for many years and it just contiunes to get better and better. The recent remodel is outstanding in every way and I am extremely impressed with the new management team and the client oriented service of everyone who works there. Not to mention the location, which simply can't be beat. I have stayed at the property for both business and personal travel and have recommended it to many friends and colleagues. The feedback is uniform -- fantastic property!

Room Tip: I always prefer the higher floors away frmo the elevator but the new windows do a great job of keepi...
1 Thank CD5678
Thank you for being a loyal customer of Loews Regency CD5678! We're thrilled you like the renovation and the new Loews Regency. It's also great to hear that you think our team members are customer focused and very attentive. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Bensheim, Germany
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I come to New York about 1x a month for business, and usually stay at a 5-star Midtown hotel that costs a small fortune (but preferred by the boss). Due to the demands of this trip, I had to find a hotel on the Upper East Side, and that was the Loews Regency.

This hotel has reasonable prices for Manhattan, It has a great location on Park Avenue. Very friendly and attentive staff. Seems in great shape after a renovation in art-deco style. Very comfortable beds and well-designed rooms. Love the touch with TV in the bathroom mirror!

I will be a repeat customer.

2 Thank JohnGilardi
Thank you for your review JohnGilardi! We're so glad you decided to try the new Loews Regency! Thanks for the wonderful comments about our location on Park Avenue, the reasonable prices (we think we're great value for money) and the tv's in the bathrooms (always a big hit). Come back and see us soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Loews made a great hotel even better with this amazing renovation. The lobby is exceptional and opening up the bar and restaurant resulted in better and more usable space...this is a much more comfortable space. The staff came back even better and the new GM has taken the hotel to a whole new level...where did they find him!? The rooms are very inviting and the electric window shades work very well and provided total darkness (most don't!).

I have a new favorite hotel in NYC!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Adrian N, Director of Sales at Loews Regency New York Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review BradD. Really glad you like the new lobby and restaurant. We love the energy it gives to the space and it definitely adds to the arrival experience. Thank you for also recognizing our fearless leader Jim McPartlin. He's fantastic and we're not letting him go anywhere. Come back and visit soon.