All reviewsupper east sidecentral parkmadison avenuenew yorkquiet streetstar propertymarble bathroomsmall hotelroom servicecharming hotelturn down servicebrick wallhome away from homeconcierge desklocation is fantastictwo blocksaround the corner
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Booked this hotel through a booking site at a VERY low price as part of our honeymoon. Received confirmation email from site confirming price and booking to be paid at hotel. Sent an email to hotel on same night requesting confirmation from their end. Received an email days later from booking site stating that this hotel had now cancelled the booking due to a wrong price being advertised. How is that my fault??

Am most annoyed about the fact that the hotel did not have the decency to contact me directly at any stage. This is awful customer service and not indicative of a 5 star hotel!! This has left a very bad taste in our mouths specially since this was to be the first stop in our honeymoon. The hotel were also aware that this was to be our honeymoon which makes it all the worse in my opinion.

Stay away!!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Nips123
Athenee, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Athenee, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

Dear Guest,

We have followed up on your comments and regret that we have not been able to find details concerning your feedback.
Would you be able to provide us with additional information?
There are occurences when the agency of records alters reservations without the hotels' knowledge.
We would be most grateful if you could provide us with any information.

Anne-J. Maurice

Reviewed May 29, 2014

This is a very lovely boutique hotel in New York. Quiet, well-appointed and service oriented. The sheets and bedding were amazing. We enjoyed our stay here. Only trouble was our bill at check out had errors but I think my husband was able to sort it out with them.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank janetmarieo
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed in a large room in need of refurbishment. The bathroom was extremely old fashioned. Every other aspect of the hotel was good - room service, gym, reception, concierge, location on upper east side [by the park] were all excellent.

The hotel was quiet and we had great sleeps - impressive for NYC!

We had complimentary Wi-Fii, which might have been an error on their part!

My wife would appreciate a dress code for the gym - some men aren't as beautiful as they like to think they are!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's been refurbished during the past ten years!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Athenee, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Athenee, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. We are indeed planning a renovation in the months ahead and look forward sharing our enhancements with you once they are finalized.
I have noted your comment regarding attire in our fitness room, which I will follow up on.
We greatly appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Plaza Athenee New York in the future.

Kind regards,

Anne-Juliette Maurice
ajmaurice@plaza-athenee.com

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Over the years my wife and I have stayed at a number of fine NYC hotels, but this was our first time at this hotel, which was urged on us by our travel agent, and she was absolutely right. We stayed here for a week in May.

Overall: This luxury hotel is in a wonderful location, very quiet, apart from the bustle of the city but a short walk to many of the city's attractions, close to the subway for longer journeys, with excellent staff, comfortable room with two chairs for reading, in addition to a desk chair, two closets, double sinks in bathroom. As a result, it's very expensive but still good value. We'll be returning. For those who want details, read further.

Our stay didn't start out well. We had to wait for our luggage during a rainstorm at JFK and joked on the ride to the hotel that at least we wouldn't have to wait for our room since we were arriving around 5:00 PM. Wrong. But front desk said we would receive a "double upgrade" as a consequence. Who could be upset about that. We were offered coffee/tea in the lounge while we waited, but we wanted something stronger, so we paid. After about an hour we inquired and were told our room was ready but when we arrived there was still the strong stench of a de-odorizer trying to mask, unsuccessfully, the noticeable smell of cigarettes. We immediately asked for another room (the "double upgrade" room wasn't very appealing anyway, overlooking backyards, although it had a very large bathroom). We were quickly taken to a room (505? 515?) right off the elevator overlooking 64th Street, above the entrance to the hotel.

Normally I would never accept a room across from, or next to, an elevator, and I would be nervous about street noise at this low a floor, but this room (and this must be true for the entire hotel) was remarkably quiet. We never heard the elevator and only occasional street noise. We never heard anyone in the rooms on either side of, or above or below, us, or any noise from other bathrooms. This has to be one of the quietest hotels in any major city.

Our package included free continental breakfast for 2. We never had the continental breakfast, but we were credited with this amount on what we ordered for breakfast, so the daily breakfast charge was in the acceptable range. (Without the credit, and if you're not careful, you could easily spend over $100 for two for breakfast!) The quality of the breakfast, in a very attractive dining room with good service, was first rate.

We had drinks, and bar food, on several occasions in the pleasant if compact bar/lounge area, and the quality was quite good.

The concierge staff were excellent (with one exception). We received excellent restaurant recommendations from Kevin, and great directions (particularly on the subway to Brooklyn Museum and to the theater district) and suggestions from Rick. The exception: We asked for distilled water to be delivered to our room - we were told there would be a charge for the bellman to go to the drug store, and we said fine. But he delivered regular water (while we were out of the room), and the concierge insisted that they knew the difference and this couldn't have happened. We should have asked for the charge to be removed but we drank the (not distilled) water.

Some tips/comments:

A 15% gratuity is automatically included with breakfast, but not for drinks/food in the bar/lounge. There is a note in menu that states that a 15% gratuity will be added to drinks/food in the bar/lounge if you don't specify a gratuity. My wife misread this at first and just put $5.00 down (she thought in addition to the automatic 15%), and was horrified to realize later that she had left a 5% tip (which she remedied later).

The hotel doesn't provide ice with turn down service (which surprised us) but provided free ice to our room quickly upon request.

I noticed that a European guest complained about no free in-room Wi-Fi, but sadly this practice is standard at all luxury hotels in the U.S (including our preferred hotel chain, the Four Seasons), with an occasional exception (depending on your "package deal" or your membership in a hotel club, or the negotiating skills of your travel agent). We highly recommend carrying your own Wi-Fi with you. We travel with a 5G Verizon Jetpack which works very well for us, or you can rent them for the duration of your trip (which we do when traveling outside the U.S.)

Room Tip: Try to get a room looking out on 64th street - much more pleasant than looking out the back of the hotel, and this hotel is so well constructed that you won't hear the street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BerkeleyJohn
Athenee, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Athenee, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We greatly appreciate the wonderful feedback regarding our team and guest rooms.
We sincerely apologize for the cigarette odor which you encountered. Our Housekeeping procedures include deep cleaning namely after a smoker has occupied a room. We will revisit our current cleaning measures to avoid this reoccurence.
I have reviewed the room deliveries and have indeed noted that you were not delivered the bottled water promised to you. Your statement has been adjusted and the charge has been removed, as it should be.
We greatly value your patronage and I would very much like to personally handle your future reservations at the Hotel Plaza Athenee. I may be reached directly at 212-606-4688 or at ajmaurice@plaza-athenee.com
The team and I look forward to welcoming you back and thank you again for this helpful critique.

Kind regards,

Anne-Juliette Maurice

Reviewed May 22, 2014

Close proximity to Daniel is important. And the park love my morning jogs. My favorite room is the large grand deluxe room. When I am traveling for work or just my husband and I we stay here. It's nice, small, superb service, wonderful beds and big bathrooms with double sinks and separate large tub and shower is important to me. I love the little bar and some nights they have an acoustic guitar player playing. So cozy so private. The dining room for breakfast is wonderful. I have not had dinner here. With Daniel around the corner I go there. But if room service and breakfast are any indication of dinner I'm sure it's wonderful. The staff is super attentive. Can't say enough about them. This is not a hotel for people who want to be in the same room with 3 or 4 ladies. There are only kings beds and very few suite options. They will bring a roll away but it's not very comfortable as far as space goes. Stay here on business or as couples it's perfect. I'd take this over the crowds at the plaza any day. I stayed there once and wished I was at plaza athenee.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple