All reviewsupper east sidecentral parkmadison avenuenew yorkquiet streetstar propertymarble bathroomsmall hotelroom servicecharming hotelturn down servicebrick wallhome away from homeconcierge desklocation is fantastictwo blocksaround the corner
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Very much enjoyed the hotel. It is a boutique hotel and easy to get to the rooms. Lobby is very nice - not opulent. The room was the largest we have seen in a NYC hotel (non-suite room). The hotel would merit a 5 star (or five circles?) except for the following: Bathroom is a bit small, prices for meals and wine are too much (just had breakfast there and evening wine) and the view from the room was poor. Location was good - just 2 blocks from Central Park, 5 blocks from the Guggenheim and 5 blocks from Fifth Avenue / Madison Ave shopping. Also a few blocks from subway. Every staff member was extremely courteous and professional - probably more so than any other hotel which I have ever visited.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Athenee, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Athenee, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
The Hotel Plaza Athenee like many hotels in our City, offers a variety of room types with various configurations. I regret to hear that you were disappointed with the bathroom in your accommodations.
I have also noted your comments regarding our pricing for our food and beverage, which are always up for review.
It would be my pleasure to assist you personally with your future reservations to ensure that your all your expectations are met. I may be reached directly at 212-606-4688 or at ajmaurice@plaza-athenee.com

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

This is a very pricy retreat from the hustle and bustle of Madison, Park, and Lexington, Avenue, and is steps away from central park. The entrée is botanical. As you walk in you're looking at a wall mural of the wilderness at the foot of the Acropolis in Athens, but the accessories are French. The suite features scenes of the French Legion middle eastern expeditions. You do feel like a traveler in the 19th century who hit a lucky strike and got invited to stay at a wealthy sheikh's palace. The rooms are very uniquely decorated which is why this hotel stands well above the fray. The lounge is cozy and peaceful. In short, this is a great place to stay if you can dish out the Mullah ($1500 for the suite, $600-900 for singles), but there are better deals in town albeit without the time travel included here.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us your feedback regarding your recent stay. While our City provides an array of hotels as you noted, there are few jems on the upper side which offer the tranquility, as you note, the service and the discretion offered by the team at the Hotel Plaza Athenee.
We frequently offer special rates based on length of stays and room types. It would be my pleasure to assist you personally with your future reservations at the Plaza Athenee.
I can be reached directly at 212-606-4688 or at ajmaurice@plaza-athenee.com

We value your business and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

From check-in to check-out, my one night stay at the Plaza Athenee was superb. I arrived very early and my room was not yet cleaned. No worries -- I was directed to the lounge and treated to a cappuccino and newspaper whilst I waited. An hour later, the manager collected me and took me to my room, a lovely large guest room. The room was luxurious, with top shelf bath products. I dined at the restaurant which served up one of the best steaks I have had in New York. The bed was very comfortable and I slept very well. My only regret was that I stayed only 1 night.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Fortheus N
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My family was invited to a dinner at Plaza Athenee and elected to stay there for convenience. On day of booking, standard room price on web site was $695, Orbitz was $595 and Hotels Tonight (that night only, 2 months before our date) had it for $375. I got "special" rate of $495. Opportunism in this business is rampant and annoying, but fleecing and lying are not.

First, the positive: Plaza A put on an excellent dinner in a private room. Food and service were excellent. Location on upper East side is fine.

Next, the medium: Rooms, furniture were OK. Rooms are small, fixtures are slightly worn and dated, lighting is dim, but OK.

Next, the real Plaza Athenee experience which was really unprofessional and awful:

We booked connecting rooms with standard 3PM checkin. At 3:15, one was ready and desk person (passing knowledge of English) said of second, "cleaners are in the room and it will be ready in 15 minutes". Wife went to first room, noted no cleaners in second room; I parked car and returned at 3:45. Still not ready. I asked if there was something else and was told only a 2 bedroom suite at $3500 per night. At 5:00 PM we saw bellman enter connecting room and remove luggage from prior occupant--no cleaning had been done. Finally ready at 5:30. The hotel lies.

Upon checkout the next day I looked at my bill to see charges as follows:
1. $26.00 for luggage help on the way in. I have never seen a charge for helping with luggage and if a hotel wants to charge, you might think they would tell you in advance. Not the Plaza A. Remember, it is unprofessionally run and just wants as much of your money as it can get.
2. $28.00 for luggage help on the way out.
3. $58.00 for parking a car when I had parked the car myself at a garage a block away
4. Two $8.00 charges for minibar. Not only did we have nothing, we had actually had housekeeping empty the minibar so we could use the frig for storing food for children. So there was not even one item in the room--still they charged.

Think this is just a fluke? One member of our group removed a glass from her minibar to use for water and was charged $14.10. Another had a "bellman charge" of $5.00 with no idea why. This latter person never booked the special rate of $495 and instead got a room on Orbitz for $434.

If you are thinking about staying at this hotel, prepare to find an "OK" physical plant operated by an unprofessional staff who will first try every trick to get as much money from you as they can for the room and then further pad this by fleecing as much as possible by any means, ethical or not, all the while grinning.

Room Tip: Try the London on 54th street. Really nice hotel with great rooms and suites. Nothing in NY is cheap but the London is great value for the money
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank bricklinng
Athenee, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Athenee, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Hotel Plaza Athenee. We greatly value the feedback you have provided which we have reviewed with the departments mentioned.
As you may know, hotels have standardized charges for various services to include porterage.
I have reached out to you directly through email and look forward to having the opportunity to review your challenges in person.
Your patronage is much appreciated and we hope to have you back at the Hotel Plaza Athenee in the future.

With kind regards,

Reviewed April 27, 2014

A perfect location in the middle of Town. Very central, you can walk everywhere. It's quite, our room had a balcony where we enjoyed the sun and the skyline. Room is big enough separate kitchenette and large closet. Breakfast is perfect, we enjoyed the granola with fresh berries and yoghurt. The staff is very helpful and friendly. We will come back. Stayed in room 1510.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1510.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business