All reviewsupper east sidecentral parkmadison avenuenew yorkquiet streetstar propertymarble bathroomsmall hotelroom servicecharming hotelturn down servicebrick wallhome away from homeconcierge desklocation is fantastictwo blocksaround the corner
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The room was very comfortable and the bed was very comfortable. The service at breakfast was slow and I had to seek out the server to get the check. When, I explained that I was in a rush, the wait staff seemed perplexed and it still took 20 minutes to get the food. At $30, at a minimum, for a basic breakfast, one should expect better service. Check out was not much better as they had a problem getting the bill right. Overall, a nice hotel but at the price point, I expect more.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kenneth S
Athenee, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Athenee, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. If you would like to further discuss your stay, please contact me at swurst@plaza-athenee.com. I am sorry about above incidents and hope we will have a chance to welcome you back again.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We have choosen this hotel bec of the Paris experience but it was far waya from our expectations . Very tiny Hotel , 4 star experience . With the sam e price u can find a better alternative in NY . Friendly staff and good location is a plus.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eser
Athenee, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Athenee, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and would be happy to further discuss the experience with you. You may contact me at
swurst@plaza-athenee.com

Reviewed August 8, 2012

The hotel is ok but expected more for the name. Had the reference of the Paris hotel and was quite dissapointed. Could not say anything bad specifically simply expected more. The hotel lobby seems outdated and a bit tacky. The breakfast is average and expensive and the room service very plain. I felt i was staying at a 4 star hotel for the price of a 5 star one!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MariaHank
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We had a 1-bedroom suite and while half of the room was amazing, the other not so much.

PROS
-Location, location, location. Upper East Side less than 2 bl from CP on a quiet street.
-Super friendly staff
-Amazing bathroom, especially the extra large tub, and very large rooms for NYC
-Pod coffee maker (more on that in the cons)
-Kitchen - great to have fridge & microwave

CONS
-Our “recently renovated room” seems to have stopped half way thru – kitchen small but new and efficient, bathroom was huge and the best part of room, but the carpet in bedroom and living room was nasty! $1,200 a night and I wouldn’t even walk barefoot on it.
-Crazy expensive food. Room service, restaurant, mini bar – Don't bother. $17 for 2oz of Jelly Beans, $45 breakfast per person for mediocre food, etc. Grocery store a few blocks away and a lot of great restaurants within walking distance.
-They ran out of coffee pods!! Kept giving us decaf when we asked for caffeinated. They finally admitted they were out. I know it happens, but when my husband made a stink about it, they magically appeared. Odd, but glad they made their appearance.

Overall a good stay, but I think we’ll go somewhere newer next time.

And a note to housekeeping in every hotel in EVERY part of the world – when we move the never washed décor pillows to the closet, please leave them there. Don’t put them back on clean pillowcases. Pretty please.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank in_da_bu

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I apologize if we did not entirely meet your expectations. I have addressed the coffee pod issue with the F&B Manager. Thank you for your suggestion regarding the decorative pillows-we have actually changed our standards based on your input.
Regarding the suite I would like to mention that they were fully renovated in 2010 and the living room has hardwood floors, I am unsure how you had the unfavorable impression about the carpet as it is rather new.
I hope we will be able to welcome you again and I would be happy to assist you personally.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

This was our first stay at the Plaza Athenee . We booked their standard King room. I informed them when we made the reservation, that my partner & I would be staying for 6 nights, and that this was a special occasion. We were going to be in NYC for our wedding in Central Park. ( just 2 short blocks from the Hotel) When we arrived Nicole, the front office manger greeted us, and escorted us to a seat, to register. As we began, she welcomed us again, and said "congratulations on your upcoming wedding". She then informed me that she had upgraded us 3 levels and that we had one of their nicest rooms. We were then escorted to our room by a very nice bellman, along with our bags. The bellman explained all the features of the room, offered to help with unpacking, and also offered to bring ice right away. The room was perfect. Lovely linens, fine furnishings, all top notch. Turndown service nightly was great, when we went out for dinner, or the theatre, I actually think that the bed wasn't only turned down, but we had fresh sheets, as I had taken a nap that afternoon and there wasn't a wrinkle to to found when we returned!! The hotel bar is beautiful, we had cocktails there twice during our stay & took some of our wedding photos in the bar & restaurant. On our wedding night we returned to the room to find a bottle of Champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and rose petals on the bed....all compliments of the hotel. The doorman were always quick to retrieve a cab, or help with a package. Every staff member we encountered was utmost professional. The Hotel was extremely clean, and well maintained. The location could not be beat, close to the Park, in a beautiful upscale neighborhood. I truly didn't want to leave...... I WILL BE BACK !!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple