All reviews upper east side central park madison avenue new york quiet street marble bathroom small hotel five star hotel room service turn down service home away from home brick wall location is great wonderful hotel great room two blocks concierge
Reviewed July 25, 2012

In all of my years of visiting NY (and living here for that matter) I had never known about this hotel. After a stay at the Plaza Athenee in Paris, the name of this property caught my eye on Trip Advisor when seeking something new for a business trip to Manhattan. What an incredibly pleasant surprise.
The property is magnificent. This is old world charm in New York with all of the finest amenities.
The staff welcomes you warmly right at the door and goes out of their way to give personal attention. Checking in was done sitting down at a desk- a very personal way to begin your stay and one that lets you know that your status as an individual is important. The attention to detail is not lost at anytime.
I arrived very early in the morning, and knew that my room would not be ready. I was escorted to the lounge area personally by the front desk staff, was given a table and a server was brought to me immediately to make sure I could order coffee. This wasn't checking in standing up at a front desk and a wave goodbye. This was one member of the staff personally handing you off to another to make sure there was not a single break in the attention.
The bell staff found me in the lounge when my room was ready, with my bags already on a cart and key in hand. All I had to do was stand and follow. The bell staff, like all of the other members of this fine team were veterans- experienced and appreciative for your business.
This hotel is in my opinion worthy of all their stars. They earn it with every staff member, and every action.
The property is spotless and beautiful. The area could not be more central. This is my new hotel when visiting New York.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank dkracerfl
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed here for the first time back in March and cannot wait to go back! My room was lovely and the staff treated me like a queen. On my last night I was having a drink at the bar and heading out to meet friends somewhere on the opposite end of town I had never been--the bartender went above and beyond to make sure I'd get there using quickest route possible on the subway (and this was AFTER I had paid the bill and tipped her so she just as easily could have said "go talk to the concierge").
My room was very cozy, had all the amenities and was even a decent size for NYC. The gym spacious and very clean-- it's the best I've ever seen at a hotel of that size. My room service breakfast was a little pricey ($50 for just myself) but other than that this place is worth every penny.

Date of stay: March 2012
Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank christinarW135WN
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This is another good hotel in New York. I had a perfectly acceptable, though dark room. At the price it was more expensive than competitive properties on a nightly basis. I had planned to take advantage of a third night free promotion but had to leave early. For the price I could have stayed at the Four Seasons, a much nicer hotel. The Regency is a better bargain.

Service was correct but cold. I am not likely to return.

The gym is very good though the cardio machines were tired.

Room tip: Avoid the interior rooms-- dark and depressing.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank Tom B
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The place is perfect, near Maddison and Park, outstanding the room is comfortable, quiet and clean The first choice in NYC Walking distance to most things Central Park, MOmA, Gugenheim,
Intimate bar and beautiful restaurant.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
5  Thank aexcell
Reviewed June 29, 2012

How can a 5 star hotel have I star amenities
The scale is 20 years old TVA are old and they still have the Curtis s from when the hotel opened

Location is great and u expect the brand will deliver. Bar is old and dark employees work hard and really try. But oh boy hotel needs help. By the way continental breakfast for 2. Is 90 bucks

Date of stay: June 2012
1  Thank higlandtravel
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.
Most of our room categories have been fully renovated in 2010 and all rooms received HD Plasma TV's. This month we also completed the refurbishment of our Restaurant Arabelle.
Should you decide to return, I would be happy to personally handle your reservation and assign a newly renovated room. You may contact me directly at swurst@plaza-athenee.com

Sebastian Wurst