“BEST STAY OF MY LIFE”

Hotel Plaza Athenee
Ranked #191 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This was our first stay at the Plaza Athenee . We booked their standard King room. I informed them when we made the reservation, that my partner & I would be staying for 6 nights, and that this was a special occasion. We were going to be in NYC for our wedding in Central Park. ( just 2 short blocks from the Hotel) When we arrived Nicole, the front office manger greeted us, and escorted us to a seat, to register. As we began, she welcomed us again, and said "congratulations on your upcoming wedding". She then informed me that she had upgraded us 3 levels and that we had one of their nicest rooms. We were then escorted to our room by a very nice bellman, along with our bags. The bellman explained all the features of the room, offered to help with unpacking, and also offered to bring ice right away. The room was perfect. Lovely linens, fine furnishings, all top notch. Turndown service nightly was great, when we went out for dinner, or the theatre, I actually think that the bed wasn't only turned down, but we had fresh sheets, as I had taken a nap that afternoon and there wasn't a wrinkle to to found when we returned!! The hotel bar is beautiful, we had cocktails there twice during our stay & took some of our wedding photos in the bar & restaurant. On our wedding night we returned to the room to find a bottle of Champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and rose petals on the bed....all compliments of the hotel. The doorman were always quick to retrieve a cab, or help with a package. Every staff member we encountered was utmost professional. The Hotel was extremely clean, and well maintained. The location could not be beat, close to the Park, in a beautiful upscale neighborhood. I truly didn't want to leave...... I WILL BE BACK !!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 25, 2012

In all of my years of visiting NY (and living here for that matter) I had never known about this hotel. After a stay at the Plaza Athenee in Paris, the name of this property caught my eye on Trip Advisor when seeking something new for a business trip to Manhattan. What an incredibly pleasant surprise.
The property is magnificent. This is old world charm in New York with all of the finest amenities.
The staff welcomes you warmly right at the door and goes out of their way to give personal attention. Checking in was done sitting down at a desk- a very personal way to begin your stay and one that lets you know that your status as an individual is important. The attention to detail is not lost at anytime.
I arrived very early in the morning, and knew that my room would not be ready. I was escorted to the lounge area personally by the front desk staff, was given a table and a server was brought to me immediately to make sure I could order coffee. This wasn't checking in standing up at a front desk and a wave goodbye. This was one member of the staff personally handing you off to another to make sure there was not a single break in the attention.
The bell staff found me in the lounge when my room was ready, with my bags already on a cart and key in hand. All I had to do was stand and follow. The bell staff, like all of the other members of this fine team were veterans- experienced and appreciative for your business.
This hotel is in my opinion worthy of all their stars. They earn it with every staff member, and every action.
The property is spotless and beautiful. The area could not be more central. This is my new hotel when visiting New York.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dkracerfl
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed here for the first time back in March and cannot wait to go back! My room was lovely and the staff treated me like a queen. On my last night I was having a drink at the bar and heading out to meet friends somewhere on the opposite end of town I had never been--the bartender went above and beyond to make sure I'd get there using quickest route possible on the subway (and this was AFTER I had paid the bill and tipped her so she just as easily could have said "go talk to the concierge").
My room was very cozy, had all the amenities and was even a decent size for NYC. The gym spacious and very clean-- it's the best I've ever seen at a hotel of that size. My room service breakfast was a little pricey ($50 for just myself) but other than that this place is worth every penny.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Christina R
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This is another good hotel in New York. I had a perfectly acceptable, though dark room. At the price it was more expensive than competitive properties on a nightly basis. I had planned to take advantage of a third night free promotion but had to leave early. For the price I could have stayed at the Four Seasons, a much nicer hotel. The Regency is a better bargain.

Service was correct but cold. I am not likely to return.

The gym is very good though the cardio machines were tired.

Room Tip: Avoid the interior rooms-- dark and depressing.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Tom B
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The place is perfect, near Maddison and Park, outstanding the room is comfortable, quiet and clean The first choice in NYC Walking distance to most things Central Park, MOmA, Gugenheim,
Intimate bar and beautiful restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank aexcell
Reviewed June 29, 2012

How can a 5 star hotel have I star amenities
The scale is 20 years old TVA are old and they still have the Curtis s from when the hotel opened

Location is great and u expect the brand will deliver. Bar is old and dark employees work hard and really try. But oh boy hotel needs help. By the way continental breakfast for 2. Is 90 bucks

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank higlandtravel
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.
Most of our room categories have been fully renovated in 2010 and all rooms received HD Plasma TV's. This month we also completed the refurbishment of our Restaurant Arabelle.
Should you decide to return, I would be happy to personally handle your reservation and assign a newly renovated room. You may contact me directly at swurst@plaza-athenee.com

Sebastian Wurst
Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 16, 2012

the place is perfect, near Maddison and Park, the staff members are perfect, outstanding
the room is confitrable, quiet and clean
The first choice in NYC