“Five star price for two star service!”

The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York
Ranked #16 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We only stay at 5 star hotels all over the world for business and pleasure, and this hotel had the worst service we have ever experienced.

First, the good points: Location is right across Central Park and walking distance to shopping. Bathrooms have been remodelled and are clean though small. Bell hops and elevator attendants were always friendly, professional and helpful.

Now on to the negative aspects.

We were on a short business trip and stayed only one night. We had informed the hotel ahead of time that we would be arriving in the morning and would appreciate it if they had a room available for us to freshen up before going into the office. Upon arrival, we were told that the room was not ready, but if we had breakfast first, something would be available soon after. We had breakfast at Le Caprice which was fabulous. Service was friendly, yet unobtrusive, and the food was good. We had a leisurely breakfast while we waited for the room.

Upon returning to the front desk about an hour and 15 minutes later, we were told that our room was still not ready and would need to wait another hour. My husband explained again that we were here for the day on business and just needed a place to wash up so we could get to the office and that they could move our luggage to the proper room later. In the meantime, another couple had just been shown to their room. The lady at the front desk then said to us, “Well, we can give you a room now, but we will have to downgrade your reservation.” Downgrade our reservation? How ridiculous. We’ve travelled on business numerous times and up til then, this type of request had been accommodated by every hotel we’ve visited as there is usually a room available for such circumstances. Moreover, no other five star hotel has ever mentioned downgrading a reservation.

We were in a hurry and said that would be fine and they could move our luggage to our room when it became available.

When we returned later that evening, we obtained the key to our new room. What a joke! It was the smallest and dingiest room I’ve ever seen in a 5 star hotel (and that includes five star hotels in London and Paris). The room had a king size bed which was about a person’s width away from the wall on one side and a person’s width away from the door to the bathroom. The foot of the bed was about two person’s width away from the door to the room. The carpet was dingy, and the paint on the door to the tiny walk-in closet and the baseboards were chipped. The room was a “city view” room which in reality was a very tiny window near the head of the bed with a tunnel view of some buildings through the walls of the adjacent buildings. All this was ours for the low price of $600.

My husband went down to the front desk and said this was unacceptable and the guy on duty showed him another room which was equally disappointing. Not wanting to spend the entire evening arguing with staff, my husband consented to take the downgraded room we used in the morning which at least was more spacious than the other rooms we had supposedly booked.

Unfortunately, although we stayed in a “downgraded” room, they certainly did not downgrade the price.

Other things to note:
1) The elevators are small and quite busy during peak hours, like dinner time. You may have to wait awhile before catching an elevator with space. Because most did not want to wait, many people would pack themselves into the tiny elevator in which everyone was packed in shoulder to shoulder, back to front.
2) Bathrooms were remodelled but extremely tiny – the toilet was right next to the wall, the sink was right next to the toilet, and the shower was right next to the sink.
3) Managers seemed indifferent to the issues of quests staying there on business, so perhaps this is just a hotel for tourists.
4) Upon checkout, they were unable to print a proper invoice. They did say they would mail one out as soon as possible. We will see.

Ironically, at both check in and check out, we overheard other guests complaining to the managers about other things. Not sure what their issues were, but the managers just kept repeating, “I understand, and I do apologize” so many times that it really seemed automatic and insincere.

Having just enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Ritz in San Francisco prior to flying to New York , we can only say that the Pierre was a HUGE disappointment. Price is not an issue for us if the service is great and the rooms are decent, but that was definitely not the case at the Pierre. We will not recommend this hotel to friends or colleagues nor will we be back.

Perhaps the Pierre works best for those who have low expectations or very little to no experience with five star hotels.

If you’re looking for a great hotel near Central Park, try the Ritz Carlton: pricey, but definitely worth it. If location is not an issue, then the Mandarin Oriental is also fabulous.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank eurojetsetters

Reviewed July 12, 2010

I am very fussy with my hotels but The Pierre has surpassed all expectations, especially in NY. I really cannot fault it. The service has been exceptional, the rooms are clean and well appointed, the food is good and the location of the hotel is unbeatable. It is right next to Barneys, and on the side you have Central Park. I LOVE IT.
Housekeeping was amazing - my husband's shorts needed mending and I had requested for a sewing kit. When it arrived (very promptly), we had to go out so I just left the sewing kit on top of the shorts. They cleaned the room after we left and when I got back in the afternoon, I took the shorts out and was about to sew the button back on when I realised that housekeeping had ALREADY done it for me, without my asking. I have never seen this level of service anywhere else before.
The beds are also the most comfortable beds I've slept on. Both my husband (who has a bad back) and I slept like angels over the last few nights. We're going to see if we can buy one and bring it home! :)
I would definitely stay here again when I return to NY.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alondongirl
Reviewed June 30, 2010

Fantastic hotel ... all that one associates with the "Taj" group is embodied here. Its beautiful, charming, elegant, great location, fabulous staff, good food and Barneys just behind....and Central Park in front. Its the belle new york!!! An absolute 'must-stay' place. The Hi-Tea in the hotel restaurant is charming.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 26, 2010

We stayed here in the Getty Suite where we felt like royalty. The suite exceeded our expectations and was beyond comparison. It had a HUGE balcony and luxurious pillows, couches, bed, bathroom amenitites, boise surround system, and impecable service. Very clean and plush carpeting. The bathroom was spacious. The front desk was very professional and courteous and even called to check up on our satisfaction with things. The bar downstairs in the lobby is quite nice too, with generous snacks and nice relaxing vibe. There was not one negative thing about our stay. This is luxury at its finest and we would absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2010

The Pierre is Perfect. The renovation is lovely
Elegant, Sophisticated, Quiet and Relaxed,
The location on the park at 61st street is as good as gets in NYC. The room was absolutely beautiful and completely quiet, The bed was the best I have ever slept in. The staff is perfect.
I would recommend the Pierre to anyone looking for the top hotel in NYC. I have stayed at most of the great hotels and this stands out among them all.
I dont know what to say other than what a complete pleasure it was to spend 4 days at the Pierre.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We just returned from a three night stay at The Pierre and I must say, it truly is an exceptional hotel. The person at the front desk who checked us in (I wish I could remember his name) asked if we were celebrating a special occasion and we were: my daughter's 21st birthday. He asked what her favorite cake was, if there was anything she particularly liked for breakfast, etc., and was very intent on making the occasion special. In fact, upon returning from the theater one night there was a wonderful cake baked exactly to my specifications -- really remarkable.

The hotel is in a great location, directly across from the Park and close to shopping on Fifth Avenue and Madison Avenue. If you want an excellent, reasonably priced Italian meal, make sure to check out Serafina's which is exactly one block away (we eat there every time we're in New York).

I don't get the gripes of some of the other reviewers about the staff. The elevator attendants, concierge, etc. were all excellent, polite and attentive.

We stayed in a "Signature Room" which was huge (three closets!) and extremely quiet, luxurious and serene. The room was on the twelfth floor and overlooked a corner of the Park and the Plaza Hotel. The room was amazing with all the high-end perks you'd expect and then some; for example, when we requested foam pillows we were presented with three different varieties.

We ate at the restaurant for breakfast and also ordered breakfast through room service, both of which were excellent.

The hotel has a very hushed and "exclusive" feel to it. My wife said she'd easily choose The Pierre over the Four Seasons where we've stayed once before. The Four Seasons is very modern and sleek (almost sterile), whereas The Pierre is much more conservative and stately.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2010

After staying this past weekend at the Pierre it will be the only hotel we stay at in NYC again!! The Pierre was FABULOUS!!

The location and view cannot be beat and the entire staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are a good size and the bathroom was fine - I loved the huge shower head.

The room service menu is great and the food the best I've ever had delivered to any hotel room. We loved eating a gourmet breakfast in the room near the window overlooking Central Park - it doesn't get any better than that.

We had a couple of minor inconveniences when we arrived - our room was not ready but they bought us a snack and drinks in the bar while we waited. Then the room they gave us had a door to an adjoining suite and we could hear the people. When we went out that evening we mentioned it to the Front Desk and they moved us to another room while we were out. The next day the Guest Relations Manager called to let us know they were going to reduce the first night's cost by 50%. The entire staff could not have been nicer or more helpful.

We booked the Pierre as an alternative to The Plaze where we stayed 2 years ago hoping that it would be an improvement over rooms with no views (hotel rooms at the Plaze are all inward facing - the condos have the views), a poor room service menu, and a lobby full of tourists. We succeeded on all three counts!!

A couple of tips for the hotel - ask for a room that is high up (30th floor or above), facing north with views of Central Park, and does not have an adjoining door to another room or suite.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple