“Hard to fault!”

The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York
Ranked #18 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 12, 2014

From booking to departure the whole experience is flawless. I have tried several hotels in NYC but I always come back to The Pierre for the service and of course the view. Michael at reception always makes sure all the guests are happy and has a fantastic memory. The breakfast is very nice and the bar is very convenient for a quick drink before going out. Very much looking forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: Book a signature room
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Yousef M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,870)

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We enjoyed every minute of our time with the Pierre. The staff were extraordinarily kind and knowledgeable; The room was spacious, spotlessly clean, with no odor. Housekeeping was impeccable, but not intrusive. Kudos on every aspect of this beautifully located hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2014

travelled during holiday season as a couple. the arrival was horrible. after a long trip from europe we were given a room which smelled heavily of cigarette smoking. the armchair and its pillows were stained. we asked why the room was so smelling and we were told that this was the special powder they use to clean the room. nice try. as to the stains they couldn't give any explanation though. so we asked to change room and we finally got one where they didn't use the special powder for cleaning :- ). but we waited for almost an hour to get to that room. the bar is not cosy and need a revamp. same for the main hall of the hotel which could have been impressive 50 years ago but now it looks like more a storage for the luggage of the guests departing and arriving. there is no wow effect except for the bill which is impressive given the quality of the hotel. the room are normal and small in general. no pool or cosy bar. there is only one thing which is really worth in this hotel. the rooms with the view on central park. i could not imagine to stay at the Pierre without this view: it would be a complete waste of money. last year under Christmas time we were at the Peninsula: much better in term of atmosphere even without view. it is a pity: this hotel could really be one of the best in NYC given its privileged location and history. ps. the concierge is very good though. ps. the 3 rate reflects the room with view on central park

Room Tip: central park view
6  Thank Dede F
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Dear Dede F,

I sincerely apologize that your stay with us was disappointing and did not meet your expectations. It is by listening to our guests that we are able to maintain our five diamond service. At The Pierre we continually strive to exceed our guests’ personal service standards, and it is important to us to know when we are not doing so. I would be happy to speak with you directly regarding your experience, please feel free to contact me at anytime.

I truly apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us at The Pierre. We hope that you will decide to stay with us again and allow us to make up for any shortcomings you experienced.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed January 7, 2014

nice staff,but that's it, we forgot iPad and expensive top of my wife in the room and did not get it back, ugly bar/bad drinks for such a hotel,you have to pay for wifi in a suite….very disappointed, what happened there and it is really expensive, for this price better stay at Mandarin Oriental or cheaper at the Gramercy

Room Tip: we had room 1906
7  Thank Oliver146

Dear Oliver146,

Thank you taking the time to review your recent stay at The Pierre.
We strive to make each guest's experience at The Pierre enjoyable, therefore, we are very sorry to hear of the suspected missing items since your recent stay.

We are available anytime to look into this matter together to come to a positive resolution and we will certainly do all that we can to ensure that your future stay with us does not involve similar disappointments.

We are glad to hear that you found our staff accommodating during your stay and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at The Pierre.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I made a reservation by phone for New Year's Eve for a table for three in the Lounge of the Pierre Hotel in New York. The receptionist confirmed the reservation and took my credit card information. Two days prior to December 31st I was contacted by the hotel to confirm the reservation again, which I did. I phoned them on New Years Eve to reconfirm and to say there would be four, not three people arriving.

Upon arrival I was told that there was no reservation in my name. They claimed it was not reconfirmed. I had three business colleagues with me, all male, and much to my embarrassment, the gentleman in charge of the Lounge argued with me for several minutes.
They finally offered me a table but not as a reserved customer. Prior to receiving even a glass of water I was asked for my credit card and presented with a bill for $1,100 and told I had to sign before being served.

Apart from the embarrassment, the noise level was so high that my guests and I could not converse. The offered fare was hors d'ouevre, wine and some champagne at midnight.

I phoned the manager of the Lounge a few days later.He said that when a party comes in without reservations they are required to pay before being served. No apology was offered.

My only satisfaction is knowing that I shall not frequent their Pierre Hotel nor recommend it to my colleagues and friends.

Joan Patenaude-Yarnell
Manhattan School of Music
The Curtis Institute of Music

Room Tip: Do not reserve in the Lounge or Dining Room of this hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
16  Thank Joan P
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My wife and I spent two nights at the Pierre. The staff was friendly and professional, the room was clean and serviced well and the views of the park spectacular. we enjoyed the food and service in the hotel bar as well as dining at Sirio's restaurant. The staff made us feel welcome from the moment the doorman opened my car door to escort us in until he closed our doors as we departed. we have stayed in several NYC hotels including the NY Palace, The Waldorf, The Plaza Athenee, The St Regis, and the Four Seasons and in our opinion the Pierre tops the list.

Room Tip: Request a Park view if available-the view is breathtaking!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Frederic M,

Thank you for this glowing review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your kind words about our team. Hearing from our guests is so important to us, as it keeps us inspired to provide over and above service on a daily basis.

It is an honor to be compared against our colleagues, and it is even more of an honor to have you consider us as the best hotel in NYC. We hope that you come to stay with us again soon. We are looking forward to welcoming you both again.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The following is a copy of a letter I sent to the General Manager of the Pierre in New York, after completing a 5 day stay during the Christmas season.

Simply Outstanding!!

Joe Traigle
--------------------------------------
Mr. Kuenstle,

Having spent most of my business career as a CEO, I view most of my world experiences through that lens. Such was the case this past Christmas day when we checkin into the Pierre for a 5 nights stay.

One of the issues I have when visiting the Pierre is that I automatically raise the bar of exception because of my 40 year history with the hotel (Four Seasons, etc).

I am writing to share with you an exceptional experience that we had with one of your employees, Alice Mouette. I mentioned to Alice that two years ago at Christmas, we stayed with you but because of a high occupancy we would up in a VERY small room (both of us are over 6 feet tall). Alice's response was spot on, she smiled and said " Mr. Traigle, I understand and let me work on that, may I suggest that you gentlemen go and have lunch, and I will have something for you when you return." When we returned, we found that we had been granted a generous upgrade. For the remainder of our visit, when passing by the front desk or encountering Alice Mouette, were greeted with a most please smile and name recognition.

Such outstanding service, in the service industry should be noted.

Congratulations to you, Mr. Kuenstle, for your leadership which on the ground was warmly received by us, your customer.

Best wishes to you for a Happy New Year.

Best,