“Live Like a Pasha at The Pierre--No "Do It Yourself" Here”

The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York
Ranked #14 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Live Like a Pasha at The Pierre--No "Do It Yourself" Here”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

From the moment we checked in, The Pierre, now a Taj Hotel, was an absolute pleasure (thus the title, even though India is a democracy and doesn't have pashas!). I have stayed there many times over the past 30 or so years including when it was a Fairmont (I think that was the chain), and this time, unter Taj management, was my best stay there ever. No matter which entrance you use, 5th Avenue or a side one, there is a doorman eager to open the door and say "welcome back," and this personal attention is evident throughout one's stay. For those who are unfamiliar with this gem, it is on 5th Avenue and 61st Street, facing Central Park and caddy-corner from The Plaza.

When we checked in (Easter weekend), Monica wished me "Happy Birthday" (I found out later that it was noted on our reservation but also a friend had sent flowers that were waiting in our room), and when I asked if an upgrade was available (we had booked an amazing rate using "Whatahotel.com!" that included continental breakfast, $100 per room food and bev credit, wifi, and upgrade if available--best website ever for 5 star hotels!), she said with a delightful little smile that we might have to wait a little, but that she could put us in a suite. Of course we said yes!

We gave them my cell number and went out to explore. Apparently, our rooms were ready just a few minutes later (it was only about 10am--5 hours before check in time), so Anna, another front desk specialist, called my mobile (which I forgot to take off airplane mode), checked all the rooms and restaurants near the lobby, looked up our reservation for an alternate number, left a message, and when that too failed, diligently kept a lookout to tell us the moment we walked back into the Pierre that our rooms were ready...she was so enthusiastic and diligent, I could already tell this was going to be a wonderful stay...and it was!

The service at The Pierre is spectacular and very "old school." If you are a do-it-yourself kind of person, this may not be the place for you. They try to anticipate your every wish and race to do it for you, from opening every door, to replacing ice every day without asking, from newspapers to slippers next to the bed, it's like having a huge staff at your personal mansion. You can't even push the elevator button yourself...there are elevator operators, some of whom have been there over 20 years. Willie, our bellman, could not do enough to insure our comfort and happiness in our 3 room TOTALLY AWESOME suite!

It was beautifully (and recently) decorated in relaxing tones of beige and tan with a giant wall of closets (a full wardrobe) in the master bedroom. There was a welcome note and a gracious platter of fruit. The bathrooms were some of the nicest I've seen with gorgeous marble, separate bath and mega shower, plenty of storage, and as my daughter noted, fabulous Molton Brown toiletries that were so generous, they might have been too big to carry on the plane!

So began a fantastic long weekend, and they did not falter or disappoint in even the tiniest detail for the next 3 days. Breakfast each day was downstairs at Sirio (same group as Le Cirque and Osteria) and was both fast and perfectly delicious--could not have been improved upon! My husband and I went to the lounge downstairs after our dinner out on Saturday night, and the bartender actually made an after dinner cocktail in my honor, wrote the contents on a coaster, naming it "The Paige." It could have seemed cheesy, but instead was totally charming!

All of the reservations that the concierge desk made for us were exactly as we wished and we were given marvellous tables, I assume because the concierge staff had a great relationship with those establishments.

We did not use the spa since we were only there for 3 days, but will be sure to try it next time.

It was an exceptional stay. I can't imagine why anyone would stay anyplace else--especially a mega hotel like The Plaza which is right across the way. The Pierre is opulent and elegant in its furnishings yet personal and quietly enthusiastic in its guest interactions...absolutely the perfect combination for someone who does not mind being waited on hand and foot and completely surrounded by gentle good will...why, I guess that would be moi!

PS--try booking through "Whatahotel.com!" Amazing deals, and it ONLY carries the very best 5 star hotels...where have you been all of my life?!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Paige H
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Paige H,

We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful experience at The Pierre! Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic and detailed account of your stay with us. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with your rooming accommodation and found them to be comfortable! Having recently gone through a $100 million renovation, we are always excited to hear that our guests are pleased with the final product. From our “mega shower” to our Molten Brown amenities, we are glad that you enjoyed it all.

We do have one of the best locations in NYC, and we hope you took advantage of our proximity to both Central Park and world-class shopping! But if not, we hope that you take a moment to do so when you come back for a spa weekend.

It is very special for our staff to receive such wonderful compliments from guests; we truly appreciate you taking the time to do so. It is through such thoughtful support and feedback like yours that our staff continues to be inspired to provide impeccable service each day. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future. Hearing from our guests is so important to us, as it keeps us inspired to provide over and above service on a daily basis.

The Pierre General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Mumbai
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Our start of great service started right when we checked out of The Plaza and the concierge from Pierre arranged to have our bags collected from plaza n delivered it to our rooms. .

The Pierre has the most courteous front office staff . Thank you Fary for our upgrade to a premiere suite with breathtaking views at night . . On top of manhattan . .

The Taj to me is the epitome of elegance with the greatest service . . And the Pierre thru its staff made me feel at home . . The cheerful Dominic from the door to thecourteous Fary at the front desk . . And the most amazing lady attending the lift (it's a shame I can't remember her name but her face I shall never forget ) Being in the lift attended by her I've smiled . God bless her . .

This is where I shall always stay when in New York . . Thank you Taj for a great holiday . .

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear vidhya_shah,

We are thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful experience at The Pierre. Our panoramic views of Central Park and the Manhattan skyline are most certainly breathtaking, and we are glad that you enjoyed them.

It is very special for our staff to receive such wonderful compliments from guests; Fary, Dominc, and the rest of our staff truly appreciate you taking the time to do so. It is through such thoughtful support and feedback like yours that our staff continues to be inspired to provide impeccable service each day.

Many of our elevator operators have been with us for 20 years and will be so thrilled to hear you enjoyed their company. Hopefully when you come back on your next trip to New York, you can ask for her name then.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next holiday to New York.

Aventura, Florida
Reviewed July 17, 2013

it was fun amiable humble yet elegant old fashioned classic classy nice room special decorations like out of a black and white elegant film elevator lady runs old fashioned elevator nice close to central park as could be.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I recently stayed at The Pierre for 5 nights with my mother. We came to NYC to check out the shopping, museums and restaurants. We found the staff at The Pierre to be very friendly and helpful. They upgraded us to a bigger room which was a pleasant surprise.

Unfortunately, the floor they put us on (12th) had been freshly painted and the fumes from the paint gave my mother and I a terrible headache. Since it's an old building, the ventilation was poor and the smell of the paint was overwhelming in the hallway as well in our room. The air conditioning was poor as well and we had to request a fan for our room.

Aside from that, the room was beautiful and the bed was amazing (which made it very difficult to get out of it each morning!). The housekeeping staff were sweet and we loved the added charm of the elevator attendants. We also loved the doormen who were very polite and had a great sense of humour.

Having just returned from Kuwait with a broken foot, I was worried about getting around NYC with an AirCast. The cast ended up failing me as it broke while shopping on 5th Avenue. However, the concierge at the Pierre was very helpful and quick to help solve my problem. She first had the hotel's engineer look at it to see if he could fix it, and when he could not, she sent us to the right place that was just around the corner and they repaired it within 10 minutes. I was extremely grateful for her help.

The location is absolutely perfect, especially if it's your first time in New York. I loved being right across from Central Park and just up the street from the MET and MoMa (and they were close enough to walk to even in a walking-cast!)

Overall, I was very pleased staying at The Pierre and will most certainly stay here again in the future!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank emilyv77
Zadar, Zagrebacka, Croatia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel, its location, the staff, rooms, restaurant.. Everything was simply perfect. Definitely want to stay here next time in NY. The rooms are luxurious and the bed was amazing. Never had a better night sleep that on that bed. Simply like sleeping on a cloud. The staff was very helpful and very polite. If I had anything to criticize, it's me for not staying extra days.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Zarano
DC
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The hotel made some mistakes on our recent four night stay (more on this later), so I thought to give it four stars. Then I realized this...The Pierre is a five star PLUS hotel, and the mistakes turned it into a five star hotel. I grew up in NY and visit there two-three times a year. This was a pure pleasure trip, and we were willing to splurge if it would be worth it. Criteria: a two room suite, would take our 15 lb dog, had at least a refrigerator. Our city-view suite was the last suite available for our dates. I was worried it would be dark. No way. On the 11th floor, we looked over the city and had lots of light. The living and bedroom were both very large. The furniture was very comfortable. The bathroom was off a hall between the two rooms, so it was possible to get up early and have full use of the rest of the space without disturbing the person still sleeping. The only suite we could get was a twin-bed one. We were on the wait list for a king. When we arrived they had made up the twins into a king without us asking. That was just one example of service to perfection. Housekeeping and the refrigerator we requested arrived within minutes of our requests. We felt like royalty! The shower and bathtub were fabulous, but I did wonder why they put a tv instead of a second sink in the renovated bathrooms! Our suite cost about $800/night on the promotional rate, less than half the rate of the Ritz and Mandarin Oriental, the other two hotels on Central Park I investigated. (Also it came with continental breakfast, but what that meant was you could spend $25 each at breakfast on whatever you wanted). Also, there wasn't nickel and diming here like many luxury hotels: bottled water was free; snacks and juice in fitness center were free; business center with office size printer was free; dog was free; refrigerator was free. If you like the mid-town location, I cannot imagine staying anywhere else! The mistakes: the concierge gave me a list of nearby garages that sent me on a wild goose chase; I also called the concierge before arriving and was told where I could get a day pass to swim laps at a nearby club and it turned out not to true. Since I swim laps most days, this was a HUGE piece of misinformation. They tried to then send me to a place almost 40 blocks away, and I wound up--after several hours of searching-- finding someplace much closer on my own, but thought they should have known this. (The fitness center at the hotel does have great equipment).The other mistake was that the front desk failed to have our dog's frozen food properly frozen, which meant it would spoil before the end of our trip. This made me very angry; we made it last, but barely. Still, I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Polli,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at The Pierre hotel. We are thrilled that you were able to book that last available city-view suite with the Suite Celebrations promotion, and that you were very comfortable during your stay. We hope that your dog was very comfortable as well.

We apologize that we could not get you a king size bed, but we are delighted that you were met with a pleasant surprise upon arriving to your room.

We also apologize for the mistakes that were made during your stay. We will follow up with our Front Office staff to be sure that this will not happen again. Our concierge staff is normally spot on with its award-wining service, but we will be sure to make sure that this does not happen again.

We look forward to welcoming you back, and welcoming the opportunity of assuring that you have a flawless stay.

Armonk, New York
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My wife and I are New Yorkers and we are staying in Westchester while we are having our apartment renovated. Earlier this week for my wife's birthday I took her out for a night on the town .. dinner at 21 Club and theater tickets to see Pippen. I booked us a room at The Pierre because it is an elegant hotel that is wonderfully located. I had booked a "city-view room" and the scene from the windows on the 35th floor was amazing. Central Park and the upper East Side glistened outside of our room. The staff was helpful and friendly (there are even elevator operators) and everything in our room could not have been better. Our bed was luxurious and the linens, towels and accessories were top of the line.
But ... We arrived back to our room just after 11:00 PM and found that there was no water. Why we were not told when we went through the lobby was strange. There was a note on our desk in the room saying that water was to be turned off at 11:00 and would be on by 5:00 AM. We had not seen the note and called the front desk to be told that there was a "plumbing emergency". However the note did not call it an emergency and when we checked out we were told it was Con Ed that turned off the water. Three different stories that should have been handled better. The water came back on at 2:00 AM and even with that small misstep, out stay at The Pierre was very special.
If one is traveling to New York City and looking for a very special place to stay, I would highly recommend staying here. If you can afford a room with a City View, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Room #3506 ... City View worth the extra money ...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple