There are not enough superlatives to describe the Pierre. Just spent 4 nights at the Pierre with wife for special occasion, in a very attractive (if subdued) room with stunning views overlooking Central Park and 5th Avenue. City looked great also with all the Christmas decorations on display, and the tree-lighting at Rockefeller during our visit. The woman who checked us in personally took us to our room, then sent a complementary bottle of champagne (Tattinger!) up.
This hotel transports you to a time when such places were elegant and gracious, not just fancy. You can't believe this place exists in 2012 - formal without being stuffy, absolutely beautiful, calm but not dull, and a staff that is genuinely nice but with appropriate distance. The 2E bar is a gorgeous room off the lobby - perfect place to have a pre or post theatre drink. The newly opened Sirio is a sleek, really cool on-site restaurant, with a long marble bar. Great place - you could see a famous person or two there - we did. The vibe throughout is class and elegance, and just phenomenal (and polite) service. If you ever saw The Shining and recall the (hallucinated) Jack Nicholson scene where he's at the party in the radiant hotel bar, with all the beautiful people dressed up, having coctails and dancing - this place evoked that kind of feeling. The Pierre is a Stanley Kubrick movie without the scary.
Compared to the 3 other grand dame NYC properties in the touristy / 5th avenue stores area (Plaza, St. Regis and Penninsula), the Pierre is no more or less "fancy" than those, but is definitely "nicer." They are pleased to have you. By contrast, the vibe from staff at the Plaza (where we went for a drink before deciding to walk out) is obnoxious, even threatening. What is up with that? Like the others, the Pierre is expensive. Get over that - this is a special occasion / splurge kind of place. It's worth it, and while you're at it, might as well upgrade to a room with a view of the park - it's the icing on the cake. If there is anything negative to say, and it's not really negative, I'm not sure this is the place for travelers coming with young children. Others might disagree. Either way, the Pierre is truly a wonderful, 5-Star hotel. Enjoy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Landmark hotel on Fifth Avenue in New York City. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Hotwire, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Priceline, DerbySoftTaj, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Pierre Hotel New York City
- Pierre New York City
- Pierre Hotel New York City