“Excellent!!”

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #220 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Spent 5 nights at this property. Great location- you can walk everywhere! First room we had was a disaster. Bathroom was dirty and falling apart, huge wet puddle on the carpet. Front desk was very apologetic and immediately changed our room. The 2nd one was perfect. On the 37th floor- Very clean, away from the elevator and the noise coming from 42nd st. The room was cleaned/maintained beautifully the whole time we were there. Alex, at the front desk, is truly an asset to the hotel. She made our stay wonderful.
The location of the hotel is good, not great. A bit removed from the main streets. However, this was not a problem at all. Walked all over the city from our hotel and enjoyed it very much.
Overall, we had a WONDEFUL stay and will certainly come back to this property again. I avoid the Time Square property. Its utter CHAOS in that area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2014

I am so happy to hear you had an “excellent” stay with us! It was a pleasure having you as our guests. Thank you for mentioning Alex’s hard work! She is one of our most passionate employees and truly loves her job! I will make sure she is recognized for her efforts!

I am delighted you found our location perfect, near many hot spots, but away from the hustle and bustle of the city. We hope to provide you a peaceful stay and serene retreat in the busy city.
We look forward to welcoming you back for another peaceful retreat in the near future!

There are newer reviews for The Westin New York Grand Central

Reviewed June 15, 2014

My wife, two (2) young daughters and I recently completed a five (5) night stay at The Westin New York Grand Central, where we were provided with an ungraded Premium Corner Room on the 40th Floor view a bird's eye view of the Chrysler Building as well as views of the Empire State Building and the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. Before our arrival, we communicated with both Joseph Britt and Stephanie Hepner, both of whom went out of their way to accommodate all of our requests both prior to and during our stay. Regretfully, there are limited one (1) bedroom suites at this property which made it impossible for us to be upgraded to same even as a Starwood Platinum member, although the Premium Corner Room was also very comfortable for our family of four, especially when utilizing the sleeper sofa in the room.

Check in with Loida was a breeze (quick) and we were given three (3) key cards for our room. She also made sure that a small refrigerator and microwave were already in our room per our prior request.

We thoroughly enjoyed the THE LCL: Bar & Kitchen for breakfast each morning where we chose to apply our Starwood Platinum amenity of a free Continental Breakfast toward the regular breakfast menu. The regular breakfast menu was extensive and our children really enjoyed the banana and blueberry pancakes. This restaurant also has a 'Grab & Go' selection each morning if you do not have the time for a full breakfast. In addition, we also had some cocktails a few evenings at THE LCL: Bar & Kitchen, all of which were excellent.

The housekeeping staff was very accommodating and always cleaned our room promptly after we called the Guest Services Department advising that we were vacating the room for several hours to explore the city. This is especially welcome as our youngest daughter typically takes a mid-afternoon nap, so the room was already fresh and clean upon our return in the early afternoon each day of our stay.

The fitness center is large, with numerous machines (weight & cardio) and is available 24 hours per day / 7 days per week. They have cool towels in a mini-refrigerator, regular towels, water, apples and earphones ... all complimentary for hotel guests.

The concierge was quick with suggestions as well as several umbrellas when the skies threatened during one day during our stay. I would take full advantage of their knowledge and willingness to assist with suggestions.

With the exception of the fact that we were unable to get a one (1) bedroom suite upgrade, our five (5) night stay was outstanding. I encourage anyone whom has to stay in midtown to consider this property for the multitude of reasons above. We will back again soon!

Room Tip: Request a room with a view, especially a Premium Corner Room if a One Bedroom Suite is unavailable.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your review on TripAdvisor! It was a pleasure for Stephanie and I to assist you with your stay! We were delighted to ensure all of those requests and items were completed to your satisfaction! We are ecstatic to hear we exceeded your expectations and that you and your family truly had a memorable stay here with us!

We are delighted to hear you will choose to stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back to our property soon!

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Being a New York Hotel in Mid town, you expect a busy hotel and noise from the street at all hours of the day, standard issues but being a westin, you expect good service, friendly staff, a good restaurant and relaxing atmosphere and a clean, well appointed room. The rooms in this hotel are clean and well appointed....other than the coffee maker being full of dirty water ( looked like cleaning fluid) and the facts that there was no complementary water for a platinum member as well as the loud AC system, the room as you would expect. On the second day, the room was not serviced despite the do not disturb signed being removed at 2PM

Check in was effective and the person was polite...this is where custorer service ended at the hotel. Bar staff were rude and getting a beer at 11.30 in the evening was preceeded by a warning that the bar was closing and then I was short changed by the bar tender ( ok only a dollar, but still, kind of basic).

The restaurant and the bar are all in one. On one night, I stopped for dinner with my wife and two kids. The bar was packed and so noisy that you literally couldnt hold a conversation in the restaurant. Service was painfully slow and the food was served cold. Same experience for breakfast (minus the noise), cold, expensive breakfast and cold service. The restaurant section is tiny and we were seated not at a table but at 4 lounge chairs with coffee type tables.

On one day, it was raining hard and I asked a porter for an umbrella. I got a mumbled reply and when I asked him to repeat the mumble, I got a a stare and the word "no". In fact, they had given all of the umbrellas out already which is fine but the service was appalling.

Checking out was interesting. The desk clerk told me that the bill had been emailed ( it had not) and didnt bother to think that I should see the bill before it was charged to my credit card. Call me old fashioned but I have never been expected to pay for something without being told what the amount is. I had to call the next day and request the emailed bill to be sent.

Overall, this hotel is not a westin and I would not recommend it. I had been attending a conference at the Grand Hyatt and chose the Westin which was the same price.

2  Thank Conall D

It sounds like you had many service issues and I want to personally apologize for your experience. We would never want any of our guests to experience this type of service. It is our goal to provide the best service possible. It would be my pleasure to talk to you further about your experience as you yourself know this is not the standards the Westin or Starwood.

I understand your expectations and agree these service difficulties need to be addressed. I have forwarded your feedback to all of the departments involved as these issues should not be occurring. We are going to address and retrain the associates appropriately as we agree it needs to be improved. Thank you again for your feedback as it pinpoints where we need to improve.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

The location can't be beat - right in the heart of Manhattan and walking distance to the UN, Empire State Building, New York Public Library, Grand Central Station, Fifth Avenue shopping, Times Square, Central Park, etc. The beds are comfy. The housekeeping is just so-so. The "restaurant" is more like a bar and really overpriced. And a single room costs at least $250 per night. I have stayed in nicer hotels for a third of the price, but of course this is Manhattan where everything is outrageously priced. It would help if there were bar fridges and microwaves in the rooms. No swimming pool. I didn't notice any special amenities for families with children.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Our Heavenly Beds do provide heavenly experiences for all of our guests! I love our beds and wish I could take one home every time I leave. As we are in New York City the prices do tend to increase. I hope that we still provided a great experience for its value.

The next time you are with us please do not hesitate to request a crib and microwave for your room. We would be delighted to send this to your room complimentary.

Hope to you soon and provide you great service once more.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

There's nothing remarkable about the rooms or service -- good or bad -- it's a reliable, predictable and comfortable hotel experience. However, one issue in the restaurant off the lobby is quite irritating. As context, I'm passionate about free markets and companies setting their prices however they see fit, and I appreciate the cost of real estate and payroll in NYC. But I find it offensive that the restaurant/café off the lobby charges $6 for an iced tea that was so weak it tasted like sugar water! And, there are no free refills. Without realizing this, I had two iced teas and by the time you account for glasses full of ice -- I paid $12 for maybe 12-ounces of sugar water. Having been to over 70 countries and stayed at many of the finest, 5-star hotels in the world - I find this offensive. Moreover, I tried to reach a food and beverage manger, and wasn't successful reaching anyone live. I left a voice mail with an assistance F&B manager - and he never called me back - after 2 days. Unprofessional. So, I noted my frustration with someone in the café and a manager of some sort sent an apology email that the "no refill" policy wasn't fully explained or that I missed this on the menu. I realize this is a minor, minor matter in the scheme of things but it does reflect poorly on the overall attention to detail and customer feedback. If anyone from the Westin read this, I've always found the following a valuable guiding principle in running a business-- "think, use common sense." If you do this, I'm sure you'd agree changes of some kind are needed.

Room Tip: Avoid drinking iced tea in the café / restaurant.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank AppreciateAdvice

Thank you for your feedback as it does assist us in improving our services. I apologize for your experience with the LCL. I have forwarded your opinion to our F&B Director and management team of the LCL as we would never want this to be your idea of the service we offer. I agree that this service needs to be improved and proper notification of the refill policy should have been advised to you. I have been in this experience myself at other restaurants where I am unaware and order multiple drinks. It is assumed in general that refills are free so I understand why you would have made that assumption as well.

If you wish to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to contact me as we seek to improve our services.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We spent 7 days at The Westin Grand Central, from 2nd June to 9th June and could not fault it. Staff were helpful and polite. The room was spotless and the bed was so comfortable ( I wanted to take it home). New York was amazing and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sue and Paul B

Sue and Paul B,

Thank you so much for your honest review! We appreciate you informing the TripAdvisor Community about your recent stay with us! I agree the Heavenly Beds are so comfortable! I am happy we were able to provide you a comfortable night sleep with us!

The next time you want a trip to heavens, please join us in our Heavenly Beds! Hope to see you back here soon!

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stay at Westin Hotels as much as possible when I travel and that is a lot. My experience with this hotel has mixed feelings. Firstly, the beds for me were very hard and so after the first night we had to change rooms as I was aching all over from the hard bed. The second room was lovely but unfortunately the bed was still the same, really hard. I am not sure what happened to the Westin Heavenly bed but for me it was not a heavenly night sleep.I see for overs after reading reviews that the beds are ok for them. Usually the Westin bed is fantastic, and thus is why I usually choose a Westin Hotel.
The front desk staff were excellent and everyone was friendly. The location was good.
The rooms were cleaned well, so day time housekeeping was fine. Night time was another story. Requested a bed sheet and extra blanket and I gave up waiting after one & a half hours and went to bed. Put the 'Do not disturb' sign on door and as I was sleeping the guy knocked on the door to deliver my blanket. Woke me up!!!
I would not stay at this hotel again as I was disappointed in the above and I need good sleep quality.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on quiet side of hotel and a high floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JanSydneyAustralia

We are known for our Westin Heavenly Beds. We aim to provide a heavenly night sleep for all of our guests who stay with us. I have contacted the housekeeping director as you should not have experienced that with our Heavenly Beds. They are going to investigate to ensure we provide all of our guests the sleep quality they are looking for. I understand your expectations and we are actively seeking to improve our services.

If you wish to further discuss your experience, do not hesitate to contact me so we can better our service and better your impression of our property.