“Great location and amenities”

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #219 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Within walking distance of Grand Central Terminal, Fifth Avenue, etc., the Westin New York Grand Central is a great 'home away from home'. Standard rooms, but the hospitality was outstanding. We requested a refrigerator, extra hangers, extra towels - and got them quickly! We also took advantage of Westin's fitness initiative: a $5 fee for new workout clothes and shoes in your size. Our concierge, Bogna, was cheerful, informative and friendly. Helped us to navigate the purchase of a MetroCard (for riding NYC buses & trains)...and what trains to take to get to our destinations. She also reconfirmed that we'd chosen good restaurants and warned us about weekend public transportation disruptions. The bellman held our bags after we'd checked out so that we could enjoy a little bit more of the city before our departure. My only disappointment was that we weren't told that our room was on a 'dog accessible' floor...and I might have never known...until the barking started. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would have no hesitation in recommending the Westin Grand Central to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a floor that is NOT dog-friendly if you want peace and quiet. The higher the room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Hello JoyceInDC,

I am absolutely delighted to see that you consider us to be a great “home away from home!” Thank you for taking the time to write this fantastic review, I truly enjoyed reading it! Our guests admire the convenience of our location, with many important and famous NYC landmarks close by. Most importantly, I love to see that you experienced nothing short of genuine and wonderful hospitality during your time with us! Our team will always be here to ensure the comfort of your stay, and thank you for recognizing the wonderful service offered to you by Bogna! She is absolutely fantasic. She, along with the rest of our team, hope to welcome you back to our property soon!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

This is a trendy hotel with the comfort and style. The decor is modern, typical Westin style which i really enjoy. Showers are clean and the shower head is nice/new. The concierge is super helpful, and there is a bar downstairs that gets pretty packed. And the one thing i really appreciate about a hotel is the possibility to open the windows just a crack to allow some fresh air as I'm not a fan of air conditioning especially when i spend a lot of time in it during my business travels. The location is very convenient. I'll be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Hello SalOZ,

We are already looking forward to welcoming you back to The Westin New York Grand Central for another wonderful stay soon! I am pleased to see that you enjoyed our newly renovated and modernly designed facility, along with the exceptional service and thoughtful amenities we offer our guests. Our goal is to always have you leave feeling better than you arrived, and it sounds to me like you left feeling nice and rejuvenated! Thank you for writing this lovely review. All of us here at the hotel truly appreciate it.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Pictures are always misleading. And indeed, they were in this hotel's case. I've stayed at multiple Westins around the world and they are usually good. But this one is so disappointing in so many aspects. Everything is dated. The room was 4 stars at best. Bathroom fittings were missing or faulty. Called for housekeeping twice in a day with 3 hrs interval and yet our room was not cleaned. And trying to get through their line was just impossible, so much for "express service". When they cleaned the next day, they didn't replace the shampoos and other amenities. Also, it was rather shocking that they don't provide kettles in the room and when I asked for it, they replied they don't have one.

Overall, this is not what I expect of Westin nor it's I have experienced in other Westins. As I am writing this, I am still waiting for my shampoo replacement. It has been 30 mins now. This is just utter disappointment.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Hello Jian91,

Thank you for sharing the details of your stay with us here at the hotel. Providing our guests with exceptional service is extremely important to us as a Westin, and I would therefore like to apologize for your experience with housekeeping. Our guest rooms are to be cared for and stocked with our thoughtful amenities every day. As this is our standard, I have forwarded your review to our Director of Housekeeping who is working to ensure this does not happen again to the future guests of our property. In addition, I would love for you to contact me directly to further discuss your stay with us here in the city. I hope to speak with you soon, and thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We truly appreciate it.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

We have stayed here before and enjoyed our stay. This time, some mistakes have been made that has made me disappointed. Check in was flawless. Room nice. Used toilet to find it had no water in tank. Fixed that ourselves, only to have it recur the next day. Fixed it ourselves a second time. Today housekeeping missed our room! We arrived back at 4:30 pm to find it had not been touched. Called front desk to ask them to have room cleaned. Went out for evening returning at 11:00pm to find room untouched! Called again, and while they seemed willing to send somebody to clean, we wanted to go to bed. We requested towels to be sent up as all towels had been used. We were accommodated, however, even though we indicated we wanted to go to bed, we received call at 11:30 pm to confirm we had received towels! Really? What part of I want to go to bed isn't understandable? Really disappointed this trip.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Deborah K,

I would first like to thank you for sharing the details of your recent visit with us here at The Westin New York Grand Central. I am happy to see that you enjoyed a flawless check-in in addition to your beautiful guest room. On the other hand, I would like to sincerely apologize for your experience with housekeeping. As providing our guests with rooms that are in pristine condition, in addition to having these rooms serviced every day, is very important to us, I would love for you to contact me directly at your earliest convenience in order to further discuss these details. After speaking, our team will utilize these details to ensure we provide our guests with the exceptional service we are known for. I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

For our Anniversary, we spent two beautiful nights at the Westin. Being an SPG premier members, we were upgraded to a better room than booked as well as WIFI. The view from our room was beautiful.. While in NY we spent most of our time outside the hotel, however for the time we spent in the room, our bed was great, and the room perfect... On Sunday we were offered a late checkout, so we did not have to rush out of the room, and were able to go for Brunch and still return to the room in the afternoon..
Overall service was great, and this hotel is highly recommended for your future stay in New york

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Portakal,

I loved reading your review! It sounds to me like you had a very nice time celebrating your anniversary with us here in the city. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your beautiful room in addition to all of our thoughtful amenities. In addition, I am so happy to see that you took advantage of the 4pm late checkout we offer our Platinum guests! There is nothing like being able to leisurely leave your comfortable guest room.

Thank you for writing this great review! We hope to welcome you back soon for another fabulous visit!

Reviewed March 22, 2014

We had a family (7of us) vacation planned for this summer and had three rooms reserved. When an unexpected medical event occurred, it necessitated canceling our reservations. Two front desk managers (one was Ian Wilson) were very helpful and understanding as we're the people in the Accounting department. We will most certainly plan to stay at this hotel when we can renew our vacation plans.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Hello Scul2137pter,

Thank you for sharing your review with us here at The Westin New York Grand Central, and thank you for noting the exceptional and understanding service you received from Ayan. She will definitely be recognized for the wonderful service she provided you with when you needed to cancel your reservations. We truly hope to welcome your family of 7 to our property in the near future!

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel a few times and this is not my first review of the property. I want so badly to give it more stars, because it's right next door to our NY office, but my recent stay was anything but comfortable. I had a situation happen in the business center where I did not feel secure nor safe (a man came in, clearly not having any intention of using the computers, but would not leave me alone) and then the hot water was completely unavailable when I woke up my last morning. I have contacted the manager so they have an opportunity to rectify the situation, but given how many other great hotels there are in the area, I'm not sure I'm going to come back. The jury is still out on this one.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Hello Anne-Marie S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with the team here at The Westin New York Grand Central, and thank you for choosing to stay with us during your past few times in the city. I would like to sincerely apologize for your experience at the business center and with the hot water. Please contact me directly at your earliest convenience as I would like to hear further details of your recent visit. The safety and comfort of our guests is extremely important to us. I really hope to hear from you soon as we truly wish for this to be your home away from home during your time in the city.