“Great price, location, perfect for a short weekend in NYC”

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #220 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed at the Westin this past weekend for a night while visiting family and seeing some of the sights in MidTown. The hotel is centrally located, near the Grand Central subway station, walking distance to Rockefeller and midtown destinations. Our room was extremely comfortable and of a larger size for NYC hotels. We had family members also staying at the hotel and they were able to accommodate us with two rooms that were in a private hallway, so we could keep our doors open while an outer door could be locked for privacy. Perfect for us.

The hotel is well maintained. Rooms are spacious, beds are their signature feature and we all got a good night sleep cocooned in those sheets. The showers are update with a rain shower head. Downstairs there is a bar and they serve breakfast and lighter food in the morning. Great to have everything in one place. We valet parked for the weekend and it was $60/night. Well worth it as we didn't have to worry about the car all weekend and the service was speedy. The staff is so helpful and friendly - all of our needs were met and the trip was as smooth as it could be.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Hello Poohkin,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your one night in the city, and thank you for sharing your detailed review with the TripAdvisor community! It sounds like you and your family had the perfect short weekend getaway here at The Westin New York Grand Central.

With Grand Central Station right down the street and Rockefeller Center within walking distance, I can see that our location allowed you and your family to see many well-known NYC landmarks during your short time in Manhattan. I hope you had a memorable time exploring the city with your loved ones! In addition to our location, our on-site restaurant and parking garage only add to the convenience of our property! Thank you for noting all of the thoughtful amenities we provide our guests with.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed returning back to your two adjacent guest rooms with the private hallway. We understand the importance of a well cared-for and comfortable guest room to our guests, and I love to see that you slept well in our cozy Heavenly Bed and enjoyed your Heavenly Shower. I have no doubt that you left our hotel feeling relaxed and rejuvenated after your time with us.

I can assure you that our team is looking forward to your family’s return to The Westin New York Grand Central. Thank you again for sharing your positive experience with us. We truly appreciate it.

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed from 27th Feb to 3rd March and had a great time. We had a 1 bedroom suite and have to say that the stay was excellent. This hotel is in a great location and we felt welcome from the moment we arrived. Each say we ran in Central Park and then returned for breakfast in LCL - great! This is the best stay we have had at this hotel since it was refurbished.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Thecoffster,

Wow! Thank you for the fantastic review! I am thrilled to see what an amazing time you had with us here in the city!

It is very important to us for our guests to feel welcomed from the second they step into our lobby. I love to hear that you admired our staff and the exceptional service we offer. I have no doubt that your one bedroom suite only added to your memorable stay! What could be better than returning to a fresh and comfortable suite after a day of being out and about in the city?

Thank you for noting our incomparable location! I think it is great that you ran through Central Park everyday! That sounds like the perfect way to start the day. And to reward yourself with a delicious breakfast at our restaurant, The LCL, sounds even better! We are excited to welcome you back soon so you can continue your routine here with us!

All of us here at The Westin New York Grand Central truly appreciate your lovely feedback. Please stay in touch and stay well!

Best,

Reviewed March 2, 2014

My family just returned from an overnight in NYC. The location of this hotel is great. I wanted to be close to Grand Central and also able to walk to Times Square. We found the staff to be very friendly. We took advantage of the late day check out at 3pm. Take advantage of the Pax store right next to this hotel. Very reasonable breakfast, lunch and sweets.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Hello Kim F,

Thank you very much for sharing the details of your great experience with us! It sounds like you and your family had a lovely one night stay with us here in The Big Apple.

I am pleased to see that our property was able to fulfill your wishes of being close to Grand Central Station and within walking distance of Times Square! I love to see that our convenient location enhanced your short visit with us by allowing you to reach your destinations easily. While speaking of convenience, Pax is truly amazing! Their sweets are absolutely delicious!

In addition, thank you for noting the friendly and genuine service offered to you by our lovely staff. We will always be here to ensure you are comfortable and enjoying your time with us here at The Westin New York Grand Central.

All of us here at the hotel hope to see you and your family return soon for another lovely stay!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Really enjoyed this hotel. 25th floor. Clean room, spacious. Massive bed! Staff attentive and helpful. My only niggle is there was no free wifi which I think should be included in a hotel of this stature in a modern vibrant fantastic city like NY. Shulas Steakhouse on the ground floor was fantastic! Location brilliant for Times Square and amenities.

Room Tip: It's NY. The higher the better
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello AberdeenBiker,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review of The Westin New York Times Square! I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the property, along with your fresh and comfortable guest room on the 25th floor. I also love to see that you admired the attentive and helpful service offered to you by their staff.

While The Westin New York Grand Central offers our guests a delicious restaurant, The LCL, in our lobby, The Westin New York Times Square offers their guests a chance to dine at Schula's Steakhouse at their property. I hear that the food at this restuarant is absolutely mouthwatering! In addition to offering their guests this amenity, The Westin Times Square does offer their guests complimentary WiFi in their lobby, so please do not hesitate to take advantage of this thoughtful amenity next time you stay at this lovely property.

Thank you again for sharing your review of The Westin New York Times Square! I can see that this hotel not only met your expectations, but exceeded them.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

As I've said in previous reviews, there are the old beige-wallpapered Westins, and then there are nice Westins. This is one of the nice ones.

We combined Starwood points and paid nights for a 5-night stay and were given a room on the top (41st) floor, an SPG member floor. In a good 15-20 visits to NYC over the years, must say this was the largest room I've ever come across in a city normally famous for requiring a Dukes of Hazzard slide across the bed to get to the other side of your tiny room. The breathing room immediately creates a more relaxed mood for your trip, as does the calmer, more business-oriented Midtown East location (why anyone ever chooses to subject themselves to actually staying in Times Square I will never understand). You are only 1.5 blocks from the massive subway hub at Grand Central, so getting pretty much anywhere in Manhattan or Brooklyn is a breeze.

This floor had clearly been remodeled (a quaint bit of Bad Westin Beige wallpaper was still visible in the entryway), so everything from furniture to bathroom fixtures looked nice, clean and contemporary. Amenities included a laptop-sized in-room safe, a fold-out sofa, coffeemaker, iron, hairdryer and a decent-sized flat screen. There's a decently stocked minibar, though be aware it's one that tries to charge you if you move any items (easily corrected when I checked out).

Front desk service was personable and professional as always with Starwood, though they never quite were able to link our paid nights and free nights in the computer, so our room key stopped working midway through and I did have to ask for 2 separate bills. Only other quibbles were that we only got a single robe when we'd clearly indicated 2 guests, and that robe was taken away by housekeeping for our last night. We also had to ask a couple times for more than a single (fake) creamer in the coffee bar, a detail that in my previous experience would normally be noted and fixed for the rest of the stay with the first call (one of the reasons I love Starwood).

But those are tiny blips in what was overall an excellent stay. At approximately $200/night before tax, this is a great value for a nice, huge room in the heart of Manhattan. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Hello Puzzolente,

Thank you so very much for sharing your wonderfully detailed review with the team here at The Westin New York Grand Central, along with the online community! After reading about your excellent visit, I feel very confident that we will be welcoming you back to our property in the near future!

I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed the calming atmosphere of our property. Our goal is to create an ambiance that allows one to relax and rejuvenate during their time in the city. In addition to our revitalizing environment, I love knowing that you adored your modernly designed and spacious guest room. Seeing that you have traveled to New York City many times, I am happy that you have finally found a hotel that provides you with plenty of storage and lounging space while in Manhattan.

I would also like to thank you for noting the thoughtful amenities we provide in our guest rooms. From the safe to the coffeemaker, our wish is to enhance the guest experience and have you leave feeling better than when you arrived. In addition to our thoughtful amenities, I am so happy to know that you enjoyed our personable service.

In regards to your experience with the robe and creamer, I have forwarded your review to our Housekeeping Manager who will be using this information to ensure our guest rooms are properly stocked with our thoughtful amenities. Thank you for sharing this pertinent information with us. You are leading us to better care for the future guests of our property.

We are so excited to welcome you back to our property in the near future. As one of our lovely Starwood Preferred Guests, we thank you for your strong loyalty and patronage!

Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

I travel to ny city regularly and have stayed at many properties throughout the city. The westin is a fine simple hotel not what I would consider 5 star. The location is fine and you can walk most places yet taxis are cheap and if you need to get somewhere quick I would recommend this. The staff are not helpful at all, the rooms are fine but not spotless. There is better for the price in ny!!

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Rebecca W

Hello Rebecca W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here at The Westin New York Grand Central, and thank you for choosing to stay with us during one of your many visits to the city. I am delighted to see that you valued our location and the convenience it offers. I would also like to thank you for noting the reasonably priced taxis and the handiness they offer our guests that are in a hurry.

While I am happy to see that you valued the aspects of our property noted above, I would love for you to contact me directly regarding your experience with our staff, along with housekeeping. Seeing that you travel to the city on a regular basis, I would like to speak with you and find out what we can do to become your home away from home during your time in the city. We are committed to turning your experience around.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

stayed one night at the Westin Grand Central NYC - great location - nice bar in hotel lobby - room was very comfortable and roomy - I had a king sized bed and even a couch and armchair - so very homey - bed was the best feature, so very comfortable, best bed I have ever slept in they had the heavenly beds - pillow was great too - would definitely stay there again - had to stay overnight for work so company paid for the room

Room Tip: I was on the 9th floor and did not hear much noise from outside
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Hello Ksbrowne,

It sounds like your one night stay with us was nothing short of wonderful, which I am so happy to hear! Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your business trip, as we understand that one has many options to choose from while traveling.

Our unmatched location provides our guests with quick and easy access to the entire city. With Grand Central Station right down the street and plenty of taxis in the area, I have no doubt that you were easily able to travel to your destinations. I am delighted to see that you took advantage of our well-known bar and restaurant, The LCL. Our business travelers really admire this aspect of our property. And what could be better than returning to our signature Heavenly Bed after a day of taking care of business in the city? Thank you for noting the revitalizing comfort of our signature bed!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to The Westin New York Grand Central soon! Our Heavenly Bed awaits your arrival!