“Great experience.” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Mystic, Connecticut
“Great experience.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

My family just returned from an overnight in NYC. The location of this hotel is great. I wanted to be close to Grand Central and also able to walk to Times Square. We found the staff to be very friendly. We took advantage of the late day check out at 3pm. Take advantage of the Pax store right next to this hotel. Very reasonable breakfast, lunch and sweets.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Hello Kim F,

Thank you very much for sharing the details of your great experience with us! It sounds like you and your family had a lovely one night stay with us here in The Big Apple.

I am pleased to see that our property was able to fulfill your wishes of being close to Grand Central Station and within walking distance of Times Square! I love to see that our convenient location enhanced your short visit with us by allowing you to reach your destinations easily. While speaking of convenience, Pax is truly amazing! Their sweets are absolutely delicious!

In addition, thank you for noting the friendly and genuine service offered to you by our lovely staff. We will always be here to ensure you are comfortable and enjoying your time with us here at The Westin New York Grand Central.

All of us here at the hotel hope to see you and your family return soon for another lovely stay!

Director of Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Really enjoyed this hotel. 25th floor. Clean room, spacious. Massive bed! Staff attentive and helpful. My only niggle is there was no free wifi which I think should be included in a hotel of this stature in a modern vibrant fantastic city like NY. Shulas Steakhouse on the ground floor was fantastic! Location brilliant for Times Square and amenities.

Room Tip: It's NY. The higher the better
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello AberdeenBiker,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review of The Westin New York Times Square! I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the property, along with your fresh and comfortable guest room on the 25th floor. I also love to see that you admired the attentive and helpful service offered to you by their staff.

While The Westin New York Grand Central offers our guests a delicious restaurant, The LCL, in our lobby, The Westin New York Times Square offers their guests a chance to dine at Schula's Steakhouse at their property. I hear that the food at this restuarant is absolutely mouthwatering! In addition to offering their guests this amenity, The Westin Times Square does offer their guests complimentary WiFi in their lobby, so please do not hesitate to take advantage of this thoughtful amenity next time you stay at this lovely property.

Thank you again for sharing your review of The Westin New York Times Square! I can see that this hotel not only met your expectations, but exceeded them.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

As I've said in previous reviews, there are the old beige-wallpapered Westins, and then there are nice Westins. This is one of the nice ones.

We combined Starwood points and paid nights for a 5-night stay and were given a room on the top (41st) floor, an SPG member floor. In a good 15-20 visits to NYC over the years, must say this was the largest room I've ever come across in a city normally famous for requiring a Dukes of Hazzard slide across the bed to get to the other side of your tiny room. The breathing room immediately creates a more relaxed mood for your trip, as does the calmer, more business-oriented Midtown East location (why anyone ever chooses to subject themselves to actually staying in Times Square I will never understand). You are only 1.5 blocks from the massive subway hub at Grand Central, so getting pretty much anywhere in Manhattan or Brooklyn is a breeze.

This floor had clearly been remodeled (a quaint bit of Bad Westin Beige wallpaper was still visible in the entryway), so everything from furniture to bathroom fixtures looked nice, clean and contemporary. Amenities included a laptop-sized in-room safe, a fold-out sofa, coffeemaker, iron, hairdryer and a decent-sized flat screen. There's a decently stocked minibar, though be aware it's one that tries to charge you if you move any items (easily corrected when I checked out).

Front desk service was personable and professional as always with Starwood, though they never quite were able to link our paid nights and free nights in the computer, so our room key stopped working midway through and I did have to ask for 2 separate bills. Only other quibbles were that we only got a single robe when we'd clearly indicated 2 guests, and that robe was taken away by housekeeping for our last night. We also had to ask a couple times for more than a single (fake) creamer in the coffee bar, a detail that in my previous experience would normally be noted and fixed for the rest of the stay with the first call (one of the reasons I love Starwood).

But those are tiny blips in what was overall an excellent stay. At approximately $200/night before tax, this is a great value for a nice, huge room in the heart of Manhattan. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Hello Puzzolente,

Thank you so very much for sharing your wonderfully detailed review with the team here at The Westin New York Grand Central, along with the online community! After reading about your excellent visit, I feel very confident that we will be welcoming you back to our property in the near future!

I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed the calming atmosphere of our property. Our goal is to create an ambiance that allows one to relax and rejuvenate during their time in the city. In addition to our revitalizing environment, I love knowing that you adored your modernly designed and spacious guest room. Seeing that you have traveled to New York City many times, I am happy that you have finally found a hotel that provides you with plenty of storage and lounging space while in Manhattan.

I would also like to thank you for noting the thoughtful amenities we provide in our guest rooms. From the safe to the coffeemaker, our wish is to enhance the guest experience and have you leave feeling better than when you arrived. In addition to our thoughtful amenities, I am so happy to know that you enjoyed our personable service.

In regards to your experience with the robe and creamer, I have forwarded your review to our Housekeeping Manager who will be using this information to ensure our guest rooms are properly stocked with our thoughtful amenities. Thank you for sharing this pertinent information with us. You are leading us to better care for the future guests of our property.

We are so excited to welcome you back to our property in the near future. As one of our lovely Starwood Preferred Guests, we thank you for your strong loyalty and patronage!

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

I travel to ny city regularly and have stayed at many properties throughout the city. The westin is a fine simple hotel not what I would consider 5 star. The location is fine and you can walk most places yet taxis are cheap and if you need to get somewhere quick I would recommend this. The staff are not helpful at all, the rooms are fine but not spotless. There is better for the price in ny!!

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Rebecca W
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Hello Rebecca W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here at The Westin New York Grand Central, and thank you for choosing to stay with us during one of your many visits to the city. I am delighted to see that you valued our location and the convenience it offers. I would also like to thank you for noting the reasonably priced taxis and the handiness they offer our guests that are in a hurry.

While I am happy to see that you valued the aspects of our property noted above, I would love for you to contact me directly regarding your experience with our staff, along with housekeeping. Seeing that you travel to the city on a regular basis, I would like to speak with you and find out what we can do to become your home away from home during your time in the city. We are committed to turning your experience around.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Coram, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

stayed one night at the Westin Grand Central NYC - great location - nice bar in hotel lobby - room was very comfortable and roomy - I had a king sized bed and even a couch and armchair - so very homey - bed was the best feature, so very comfortable, best bed I have ever slept in they had the heavenly beds - pillow was great too - would definitely stay there again - had to stay overnight for work so company paid for the room

Room Tip: I was on the 9th floor and did not hear much noise from outside
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Hello Ksbrowne,

It sounds like your one night stay with us was nothing short of wonderful, which I am so happy to hear! Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your business trip, as we understand that one has many options to choose from while traveling.

Our unmatched location provides our guests with quick and easy access to the entire city. With Grand Central Station right down the street and plenty of taxis in the area, I have no doubt that you were easily able to travel to your destinations. I am delighted to see that you took advantage of our well-known bar and restaurant, The LCL. Our business travelers really admire this aspect of our property. And what could be better than returning to our signature Heavenly Bed after a day of taking care of business in the city? Thank you for noting the revitalizing comfort of our signature bed!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to The Westin New York Grand Central soon! Our Heavenly Bed awaits your arrival!

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

A friend and I stayed at the Westin in Feb 2014 for a short 5 day trip.

On the whole I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends. They rooms where a good size- we took a deluxe double room which was plenty spacious for two if us with luggage and big for New York standards. The concierge, although sometimes moody where always very helpful in giving suggestion and making bookings.

The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable and clean. In fact the hotel was clean and tidy throughout.
The bathroom was a good size and rain shower head was very nice.

Only a couple niggles:

On arrival we were slightly early for check in but the computer systems had gone down so they were unable to check us in together with a line full of people. The hotel seemed under pressure and unable to cope. The check in staff were not even slightly apologetic about it, replying that check-in is not until 3pm anyway. Not what you want to hear after a 7.5 hour flight. No compensation was offered such as a drink by the bar whilst we wait. Once we actually were able to check in an hour later, we asked if our request on the booking form through hotels.com was made, such as a higher floor and room with a view. Only to curtly be told that to get a room with a view we need to pay an extra $50.00 even though the room was available – shouldn’t that be offered free if it is vacant anyway? A service led hotel would have done so.

After expressing my disappointment in them, the manager, Timothy did call us in the room and say that there is infact a room we could swap to if we so wished. Too late by then as we had already unpacked. He did however offer a good level of compensation which was free internet in our room for the duration of our stay, plus sent us a note with some dried fruit and nuts to the room. That is far more in line I would expect.

Additionally, the cleaners did throw away a few of our items; a PJ t-shirt and a plastic cover for an evening dress - not ideal!

Location of this hotel is fantastic, walking distance from many great sites and not too loud like other neighbourhoods/areas.

Room Tip: Try for the higher floors if you can to get more of a view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hello Littlemisshelpful87,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your detailed insight with us here at The Westin New York Grand Central. As you had many hotels to choose from when planning your 5 day trip, we are thankful that you chose to stay with us!

I am delighted to see that you admired our modernly designed guest rooms. Our Deluxe Double Rooms are fantastic! With plenty of space to store your luggage and relax after a long day, these rooms meet every traveler’s needs! With that being said, nothing compares to the comfort of our signature Heavenly Bed and pillows. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed the amenities of our guest rooms and felt that our property is well-cared for.

I would like to thank you for noting the exceptional service provided to you by Timothy, one of our Front Office Managers. Timothy has provided you with a true example of the type of service we love to provide our guests with. He will be recognized for the efforts he made towards bettering your time with us in the city. Thank you for sharing this information with us!

While I am thrilled to see you enjoyed the majority of your stay, I would like to sincerely apologize for your experience at check-in. This was the first time this situation had occurred at our property, and we have since implemented a system that will be utilized in the event that this ever happens again. This new system ensures that our guests will continue to enjoy a smooth and timely check-in process, regardless of unforeseen circumstances.

In order to better address the exact details of your check-in process, along with your experience with housekeeping, I would love for you to contact me directly with further details of your stay. I believe that after obtaining further details, we will be able to further enhance the guest experience and provide our future guests with the exceptional service The Westin is known for.

All of us here at The Westin appreciate you sharing your feedback with us, as you are leading us to better the experience of the future guests of our hotel. I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The westin is just renovated and wonderful. Staff is very nice, and always looking to please their top guests with a great upgrade. Only complaint is the walls are thin. The restaurant food is yummy too.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank travelqueen15
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Hello Travelqueen15,

We absolutely love to see that we are one of your favorite hotels! We understand that you have many options to choose from while traveling, and we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

I am so happy to see that you admired our beautifully renovated property. The refreshing ambiance of our property creates a relaxing environment that leaves our guests feeling better than when they arrived. In addition, I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed the presence of our thoughtful staff, along with the delicious offerings of our restaurant, The LCL.

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review with us. We hope to welcome you back to your home away from home soon!