“Clean, amazing exercise room”

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #226 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Newton, Massachusetts
“Clean, amazing exercise room”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The rooms were clean and modern and the beds were comfortable. The most pleasant surprise was the workout facility, which had at least 5 treadmills and many machines in addition to free weights. Workout attire is also available to rent for $5. In terms of location, I'm not really a fan of the area, but the hotel is very close to Grand Central, so it's easy to get to any other NY neighborhood. If I have one gripe with the hotel, it's that the staff was kind of rude and in-room deliveries (such as exercise clothes) took longer than it should.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
We at the Westin want to promote a healthy and active lifestyle. We only want to promote a positive well-being in the lives of our guests.

I am happy to hear you were able to utilize our Westin Workout facility as it is one of the biggest Westin Workouts in the Westin brand. I am happy you were able to use our program with New Balance and rent work out gear from shoes to shirts and shorts for only $5. We also offer the Westin Run, a running program where our trained concierge provides a guided 3 mile run throughout Manhattan and gives our guests a nice tour of east side of the city. We hope next time you are with us you can try this wonderful programs as well.

I have contacted our Director of Housekeeping on the service of the associates delivering the items and he is going to address them and retrain them appropriately. Thank you for the feedback.

Service Express Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Stockholm
Reviewed November 18, 2013

There is really not much to complain about in this hotel. The room was spacious and on the 39th floor of 41. Despite this - not a fantastic view but ok. I guess our room was facing the wrong way. Cozy beds, clean but crowded bathroom with a nice shower bath. The general status of the hotel is good and the recent renovations probably did the trick.

Breakfast was a bit too expensive in our opinion, and we went across the street to a nice cafe - the Aroma Espresso bar which was a nice place to start the day. Excellent menu and more bang for the buck. Imho.

We tried out the gym which was actually worth a visit. Plenty of treadmills and other equipment and also cool water and some towels and fresh apples. Nice.

The location of the hotel is very close to Grand Central which is convenient in many ways. But the neighborhood isn't really that charming. Next time we will stay in the Village, I think.

We had the fire alarm going off for about 10 seconds and then stop. After about 5 minutes it happened again, and stopped. And we didn't make much of it. But - after a couple of days it happened again. And this time it didn't stop. So, late morning we had to evacuate down the stairs from floor 39. Not a very pleasant experience. We didn't mind the walk down - good exercise. But the information that followed was very poor and we never managed to work out exactly what happened.

All in all - a good stay but nothing spectacular. You will be a happy but not amazed camper.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear QuitePickyTraveller,

I am happy to hear you had a great overall stay with us. The heavenly beds are a product we are proud to offer our guests as we aim to provide them a relaxing and renewing night’s sleep. I am happy you had a peaceful night sleep as you were facing a quieter street as well as enjoyed our new renovations.

The location is one of our biggest assets as we are only two blocks away from Grand Central Station, providing our guests an easy and quick trip to any attraction in the city supplying a well-rounded stay in New York City.

I do apologize for the fire alarms you had to endure during your stay with us. As it is a city law to have our alarm system tested periodically to ensure we are up to code and are providing the safest atmosphere for our guests. I am sorry it was not communicated to you properly. An email was sent out and I apologize in the possible address error that might have occurred preventing you from not receiving this notification. We have improved our notifications to our guests when there is another test and I want to thank you for your feedback as we use it to improve our services.

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Location: Great location in Midtown East, two blocks away from grand central station. Easy access to subways and cabs. Easy to walk to other tourist areas.

Rooms: Rooms seem to be recently renovated. Bedroom and bathrooms are clean. Beds were very comfortable, and the air conditioner worked flawlessly.

Service: Concierge was helpful, they had free umbrellas for rainy days. Reception staff was also helpful. Packages were sent directly to my room.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised about staying at this hotel and area. I usually stay uptown, was really liked staying in this area. If the price is right, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing such a detailed and honest review of our property. I am pleased to hear that you truly enjoyed our location and the amenities and spacious rooms.

The location is perfect for the tourist as you can get to many attractions for free by a quick walk as well use the affordable subway system that is only 2 blocks away in Grand Central Station rather than cabbing it the whole trip. You can truly access all of the city in a quick subway ride whether it is north south or west, with Grand Central Station you can get almost anywhere in a matter of minutes.

We aim to provide the best possible guest service and I am pleased to hear that was your experience with our concierge and front desk associates. I am happy they were able to provide you helpful tips and pointers to truly appreciate the city and all it has to offer.

I do hope you will decide to stay with us in the future as our service, rooms, and location all exceeded your expectations.

New York City, New York
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Good location? Check
Decent rooms? Check
Nice Management? Not!!

Don't ever try to cancel a room here you book on-line. When I did 48 hours before the reservation, they would not refund a cent of the rip-off price of $545.00. The Manager on the phone was also a total, rude, jerk to put it plainly.
Nothing is worse in a hotel or restaurant business than rude customer service. This makes me and the people I book this hotel for to move over to the Grand Hyatt from now on.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank lexi1980
Lexi1980,

I am terribly sorry for the experience you had with one of our managers at our property. This created a negative impression before you even arrived to our property. I would never want you to think we don’t aim to offer the best guest service possible.

I have forwarded this comment to our Director of Operations and she has talked to the management team and is working to ensure this doesn't happen in the future. There are some rates that we cannot cancel according to the specific cancellation policy but we could still have answered your questions and assisted you in a polite and friendly manner.

As our Director of Operations is investigating to pinpoint who assisted you, I would love to talk to you directly to hear more specifics of who you might have talked to and further see why they weren't able to assist you. More importantly we want to take specific actions to ensure this level of service is never delivered in the future,

I would love to talk to you and come up with a solution that is most pleasing to you. Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Ballaghaderreen, Ireland
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed a week in the hotel in July of 2010. We celebrated our wedding anniversary on our 1st morning in the hotel and I had arranged breakfast in bed and flowers for my wife before we hit off for a day of sight seeing. Upon check in I was told that it would be easier to buy flowers around the corner and the hotel would store them and place them on our breakfast table in the morning. I thought this was a nice touch as they informed me they charge $150 for a bouquet where as I could buy the same bouquet for $50. Breakfast was lovely and the room were modern and clean. It was always nice to return to a nice comfortable room after a hectic day sight seeing. Concierge was so helpful with any queries we had.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patrick S
I am so happy we were able to provide you a memorable anniversary for you and your wife. Of course we gave you a helpful tip on the flowers as we put our guests first and want you to have a fantastic stay.

I am pleased our Concierge team was able to help you fully navigate the city and appreciate all it has to offer. We are hear to assist you with any questions you have to make sure you are able to see all the attractions and have your most desirable trip.

As it has been a while since you've been here we really hope you decide to come back to New York City and you will think of us as your home away from home. We look forward to making a memorable stay for you again.

Irvine, California
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My wife and I usually stay at one of the W properties when we go to the City. This year we decided to try the Westin Grand Central due to its central location. Great choice. The Hotel is beautiful and the quality is top notch and every bit as good as any W that we have stayed at. The room was a great size for NY and the Doris at the front desk was able to get us a room at 10:00 after we arrived in the city early. Great service. We are Starwood Gold members and the staff definitely treated us well. Our only complaint would be with the concierge. Both times we approached the desk the individual working could not be bothered. When asked a simple question he had to tear himself away from his computer screen where he was reading his emails and then all he did was Google the question. I could have done that on my phone. Both nights we were there we asked for recommendations for dinner and both times the restaurants were horrible. Westin do yourself a favor and get rid of your concierge staff. They do not compare well with other hotels in the area. Otherwise this is a great hotel and we will likely be back.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Wraith1211
Thank you for trying our brand even though you normally stay with W’s which is another fantastic Starwood brand. I am happy we were able to provide the service you experience at the W hotels and you have grown to expect with Starwood hotels. We always aim to exceed our guest expectations.

We are conveniently located in the middle of Manhattan providing a quick and easy commute to many areas throughout the city. You can walk, take a subway, or even cab it to all the hot spots in the city and I am happy this improved your experience in the city.

I do want to apologize for your experience you had with our Concierge team. We would never want to offer you just ordinary recommendations for restaurants in the city. We want to provide you a unique experience throughout the city providing the best culinary experiences as New York has some of the best restaurants in the world. I have contacted our Director of Operations on your feedback and I thank you for your input as we seek to improve our service and will retrain this individual.

Brentwood, California
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I flew to NYC to run the NYC 2013 Marathon. Our reservation was at the Westin Grand Central on 42nd street. The hotel is located in the perfect location to everything and the hotel and staff are excellent. The rooms, lobby, lobby restrooms, elevators and restaurants were spotless. The staff was incredible and majors kudos to Alexandra and Deidre Sam at the front desk. They were so accommodating and helpful, I just wanted to let the world know. They went out of their way and made my NYC adventure remarkable. Thank you to both of you!!!! Very grateful!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
That really is one of the best ways to tour all of New York City. The NYC Marathon is a fantastic way to see of all the 5 burrows and I am glad to hear you were able to participate in such a wonderful event.

I am also ecstatic to hear that we were able to provide you with a welcoming, comforting, and relaxing stay with us. After all that running I am happy to hear we were able to provide you a place where you could relax and rejuvenate from your marathon. We at Starwood and specifically The Westin brand aim to provide all our guests excellent service and exceed your expectations.

Thank you for mentioning the wonderful service Alexandra, Deidre, and Smalls provided you. I am so happy to hear they went above and beyond and truly went out of their way to make your stay memorable. They will be recognized for their efforts.

Thank you for writing such an honest review and I hope we will see you back at our property sooner rather than later and before the next marathon if possible.