“Good Hotel, in a great location” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #222 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Malaga, Spain
“Good Hotel, in a great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed for 10 nights which is a pretty long stay for a New York trip, but coming from Europe we wanted it fit in lots of things, we even paid for one night that we didn't use the room as we were in Washington. The room was a good size, lovely and clean with really comfortable beds, however there were a few details not addressed, the complimentary coffee/milk etc. was not topped up after use, when the wine glasses were used they were not replaced, we used the room as a family room none of these things were sufficient for four and neither were there sufficient towels. We had breakfast only one morning and were not unhappy with the food but the price was over the top 6 dollars for tea or coffee surely that should be included with the breakfast price. All in all we had a great time in New York and would probably use the Hotel again as the location and cleanliness couldn't be faulted.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Hello Anita L,

I am pleased to hear that overall you had a wonderful stay with us. I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us all the way from Spain. I hope your trip to New York City was a memorable one. You even got to see Washington DC? That is wonderful, I love that city.

I do want to apologize that your amenities in your room weren't always replenished as they should have been. I have contacted the Director of Housekeeping and he is bringing up the importance of detail orientation and proper servicing of the room in his next pre-shift meeting. I have also informed our Director of Food and Beverage on the issue with the service verses the value you received with the LCL items. He is going to discuss a possible solution with the executive chef to research if a better pricing model can be followed.

I want to thank you for your feedback as we use it to pinpoint our services and we do hope you will decide to stay with us in the future the next time you plan a trip to New York City.

Service Express Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for business for one evening. The hotel is well finished having been recently renovated and the location is fantastic being very close to Grand Central Station. However, the windows were so terrible in my room that I heard road noise the entire night.

Well I certainly realize that I'm in the city that never sleeps, I have stayed many times at various hotels in New York (mid-town, downtown) and have never had this issue.

The sounds of loud screeching, sirens and road work kept me up nearly the entire night. When I brought this to the hotel's attention in the morning, they were somewhat empathetic, but certainly did not offer my anything more than a "we're dealing with construction - it's normally a quiet room"

In my view - I should have been warned of the construction at the time of the booking, but I'm not sure that really was the issue.

I won't be staying at the Westin Grand Central again any time soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bowlth
Hello Bowlth,

I want to personally apologize for your recent experience dealing with the street noise outside. As I am a light sleeper and very noise sensitive I understand the need for quiet to be able to truly get a well-rested night sleep. As we want our guests to leave feeling relaxed and re-energized, I understand that a quiet night sleep is an important factor in accomplishing that goal.

I want to inform you we are addressing your concerns of the noise outside the window and we are currently implementing a solution to add a new seal to the windows to help reduce the amount of city noise heard in the guest rooms. I would love for you to give us another opportunity as soon your concern about noise should be improved.

Cape May, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Great experience. Love the location. Centrally located. The hotel was lovely, our room was spotless. Huge pat on the back for Lilly at Front Desk. She is a star! who represented Westin better than any other front desk person I have ever met! Loved being greeted by someone who knew their job, was professional and sweet at the same time. We have stayed at the Westin on 8th and, although it too is a great hotel in a great location, it felt less personal. This Westin managed to make a big hotel feel like a home away from home. Will definitely visit this Westin again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
WOW! I am so happy to hear Lily offered you the Starwood level of service we aim to provide. We at The Westin New York Grand Central understand how important it is to offer that first impression into our property. We want our guests to feel a warm welcome at their home away from home.

I am so happy you not only enjoyed our location near Grand Central Station offering you an easy commute throughout the city, but also enjoyed the level of service we provide as well. We treasure and value every guest that enters our doors and I am happy to hear Lily was able to provide you that level of attention.

She will certainly be recognized for her efforts. Lily and all of us here hope to see you back here with us again soon.

Jerusalem, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I returned to this hotel as I generally like the chain, good location and enjoyed last visit.
However this time everything with their service seemed to go wrong.
My reservation wasn't on their computer, causing a delay until it was approved
Then they forgot my wake up call
And finally, when we requested to have a late checkout, they told us that we couldn't' as they needed the room, despite;
1. They were willing to extend for an extra fee....
2. They granted it to my colleague checking out the same day
3. I had requested this with my reservation and was assured they would try to accommodate.

Room Tip: Make sure your reservation is confirmed by the hotel, not just the chain.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank yacovk
Hello Yacovk,

I am happy to see you had a positive experience with us before in June. However, I am terribly sorry that your most recent experience was not as successful. I have contacted our Director of Operations on your experience and forwarded her your feedback. She has investigated who checked you in and who was responsible for your wake up call. She has conversed with the individuals and is retraining them on the service basics and how to provide the Westin Way of service.

We only want you to feel cared for and appreciated. I thank you for your feedback as we use it as a tool to improve our services. If you wish to further discuss your experience please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Times Square, Grand Central Station is walking distance and you won't be bored walking around since there is so much to see. The hotel itself is very well kept. We did have a issue with the tub being clogged but that got that resolved. (Although I did call the night before, nobody arrived and I had to request it from housekeeping.) Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I am happy to hear you truly enjoyed our centrally located hotel right in midtown. We are in the middle of the city, so you can get to almost anywhere in a matter of minutes by using the subways and trains at Grand Central Station. I am happy to hear you found it a perfect location for your trip.

I do apologize that you had issues with your tub’s drainage, however I am happy to hear it was addressed and we were able to provide your bathroom refreshing attention to improve your stay.

I do hope you will visit us again.

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Close to Grand Central (walkable) with some neat views on the way of the Chrysler Building. Room was very clean and neat, an plenty large for myself and my two daughters. There is no rooftop view, which I had expected based on their web site. Got it for around $200 / night... so that was a great deal for that location. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
We are in a fantastic location providing easy accessibility to the majority of the city by use of Grand Central Station and the many subway lines and trains that connect there. We are only one block away from the Chrysler Building, one of the most iconic buildings throughout the city. It provides guests a close view of the wonderful architecture and a part of America’s history.

We try to provide a refreshing experience for our guests by providing a clean, neat, fresh environment. We do have a rooftop terrace and garden, however it is use mostly for private events, I apologize if the pictures were misleading. I will contact our Marketing Manager to ensure no more confusion occurs.

We do try to provide our guests a great value for their money and I am happy to hear you found the price fair and worth the value you received. I thank you for recommending this hotel to others and I hope you will think of us the next time you are in the city.

East Greenwich, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

I am a member of the Starwood Program, so I booked this hotel using points from my account. I have visited NYC many times, and this hotel definitely made it to the top of my list for hotel stays in this city. I love the location being next to Grand Central...was able to walk to the theatre and great restaurants. The check-in process was very quick, and I was upgraded to a beautiful room with a fantastic view. After a whirlwind day in New York with dining and theatre, it was a treat to have a heavenly bed to sleep in! The bathroom was immaculate and I loved the large shower head. I highly recommend this hotel and I hope it is available the next time I visit this city.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelbug02818
WOW! Travelbug02818, thank you for informing the TripAdvisor community on the details of your fantastic stay with us. It really sounds like you had a perfect stay and I am so happy to hear it was flawless from arrival to departure.

I want to thank you for being a loyal SPG member to Starwood, The Westin brand, and our property. I am so happy to hear you truly enjoyed our location of our property and the vicinity to Grand Central. It is very convenient for navigating the city.

Our property does offer some great views of the city and I am glad you were able to embrace the beauty of the city through the view from your room. That is fabulous you truly enjoyed the Heavenly Bed and bath and the pristine condition of the room. I am so glad you had a smooth and quick check in experience and that we were able to exceed your expectations.

I thank you for recommending our property; we hope we will see you the next time you are back in the city as well.