“Well placed NY Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bromley
“Well placed NY Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Helmsley turned into the Westin approx November 2012. When we checked in on changeover day it was chaos. In the subsequent years a lot has changed. The check in procedure is smooth and professional, thank you Doris, and the concierge Sandra is very friendly, helpful and efficient, The rooms are clean and well maintained, cleaning done professionally and conveniently.
The hotel is on 42nd St between 2nd and 3rd Avenue. This is very convenient for up and down town. Many good restaurants are located nearby plus many small convenience stores.
Thanks to all for a great stay Westin.

Room Tip: We have stayed front, back and the side. All are good, but be aware of your visibility to the neig...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PQRBromley
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for deciding to give us another shot after the first day we became a Westin. It was a very active exciting time for us and I am so happy to hear that our service has only improved. That is wonderful to hear Sandra and Doris provided fantastic guest service and offered you a warm welcome. There efforts will not go unnoticed. I am happy to hear you truly enjoyed the clean room and amenities.

We are in a great location on 42nd street near many great restaurants as well as convenient walks to many hot spots and attractions in the city. With our location near Grand Central Station you are sure to get anywhere in the city that you desire with the ease and accessibility of the trains and subways.

We hope you will continue to stay with us in the future as our service continues to increase each time you visit.

Service Express Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Over the years I have stayed in NYC in many different reputable hotels but always have been disappointed either because of the location, the noise level, the service, or the quality of the property itself. This particular hotel is in the right location; it is kept in excellent condition; there is absolutely no noise (very peaceful rooms)...you can actually unwind and truly rest in this place; and most importantly the staff is very professional but never in your face. All of my requests were immediately met and then some. I only rate excellence and this is an excellent hotel for NYC. So if you happen to wonder where to stay in NYC on your next visit, check into this Westin and hope you love your stay as much as I did.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“You can actually unwind and truly rest in this place.” I am so happy you felt this way of our property. This is the atmosphere and environment we wish to provide all of our guests. It is wonderful to hear that was your experience as we only want you to leave here feeling better than when you arrived. We want to be your personal retreat in the busy city of New York.

It sounds like you truly experience the high level of service we aim to provide our guests here at the Westin New York Grand Central. We only wish to exceed your expectations and go above and beyond. I thank you for such an excellent review of our hotel and your rating of excellence.

We cannot wait to have you at our property again and provide you another excellent stay.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

It's a pretty touristy area but it's central and near the metro which makes it ideal for accessing most things. Excellent welcome checkin staff awesome. The room was good. Only downside was the bathroom which was not great. Bed was as ever great - v v comfortable

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
The title is true that we are in a good location in the city of New York. Located so close to Grand Central Station truly does provide a great avenue for guests to travel throughout the city. You can travel uptown and downtown in a quick and convenient manner through the use of subways.

I am glad to hear the bedroom was spacious and comfortable. I am sorry you didn't find your bathroom as refreshing, but I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our Heavenly Bed and had a heavenly experience. We hope you will come back to the room in the clouds, for another night of heavenly sleep.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for a gastronomic holiday to NYC. Hotel is right next door to central station which was great because we took the train from JFK to Manhattan by LIRR with a change on subway. Check in was super efficient and staff very efficient. It was the UNGA weekend and the place was abuzz with diplomats in business suits also trying to check in. Was hoping for a high floor but given a 6th Floor room. Initially worried of the noise. Got the the room and I was pleasantly surprise of the spacious room and bathroom. Room came complete with a sofa bed! Looked out or window and got a little concerned that we were on the main road. UNGA was in session and saw part of the road was closed off for noisy diplomats and officials to race through the city with their loud sirens! On the positive side, the room had a lovely view of the beautiful Chrysler building. My concern about the noise was put to rest when I went to bed and it was no more noisier than the levels I've been accustomed to living in London with good glazed windows! In other words, I slept through the nights with not bother of the occasional muffled background noise of the city. If you want silence though then try get a high floor. If you don't like the city noise, I suggest go to the country ;-p The hotel is also next to CVS which was very handy for getting water and snacks for the room. The only real downside is no free Wifi in the rooms which I find bizarre as these days it comes as standard in most hotels. Luckily AT&T was also nearby and got myself a pay-as-you-go with unlimited Internet which worked out cheaper than paying for wifi for the 5 days there! Check out was equally efficient and paperless with my receipt sent by email. They were very accommodating to extend my check out time to 3 at no extra costs. There are so many hotels in NYC and I like to try a different hotel every time I visit but I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
It certainly sounds like you had a great overall stay with us during the busy week of the UNGA. It is wonderful you got to experience that excitement in the city.

Our location is supreme. Us being located so close to Grand Central Station does provide for easy journeys throughout the city, as well as to and from some of the major airports. I am happy you were able to utilize the subway instead of pay for cabs, as our location does provide guests a more efficient and less expensive navigation through the city. We are also right next door to a CVS which can supply many of your odds and ends needs as well as convenient walks to many attractions.

I understand your concern for noise as I am a light sleeper as well, but I am happy to hear that even on the 6th floor it wasn't a problem. We at the Westin want our guests to have a place to relax and escape the loud city and I am happy to hear we were able to provide that for you.

The room is quite spacious as we have some of the largest guest rooms you might find in NYC. With the Heavenly Bed and Bath, the pullout Heavenly sofa bed and the many amenities we supply we try to provide for our guests needs.

I understand wanting to try new hotels when you travel, but I am happy to hear you would consider staying with us again. We look forward to a possible future visit from you.

Sharon, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed here for one night in a double queen room. It was clean and spacious. They didn't let us do early check in but we were able to leave our bags with the bellhop which was convenient. The location is great, it's only a few minutes from Grand Central and lots of shopping nearby. My only complaint is that housekeeping came in the room at 10am while we were still sleeping. We were only at the hotel to sleep and didn't interact with the staff much so I can't speak towards the customer service at all, but in general, this was a solid stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
I am happy to hear that we were able to impress you with only a one night stay. I am pleased that during your short visit with us we were able to provide you comfortable room in a great location.

We love offering exceptional service to our guests. We were happy to store your luggage thus allowing you to enjoy the city and all the location has to offer. Being located so close to Central Park, Times Square, The Empire State Building, and right across the Chrysler Building we offer our guests a convenient and active trip in the city.

Our Housekeeping Director has already stressed the importance of looking at the departure time of the guests to prevent future experiences of that kind.

We hope you will consider us next time you want to enjoy a solid stay in New York City.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

The hotel is well located and offers convenient access for a large number of the tourist attractions. In general, the hotel is well kept - benefitting from a relatively recent refurbishment - and offers a good selection of facilities for its guests. The rooms that I booked had a good view of The Chrysler Building - which is one of my favourite. The rate received was comparable with hotels of a similar standing and location.

I arrived at the hotel around midnight on the date of check-in. Despite this, not one of the rooms that my travelling group had reserved were available for check-in - the normal time for which is listed on the hotel's website as 15:00. The check-in staff had a nonchalant attitude to the situation and seemed unwilling to apologise or to offer suitable assistance. I was told that they would ask the housekeeping team to tidy two rooms and that they would inform us when they were ready - which was noted as likely to take around 45 minutes to an hour. Despite the long journey - and perhaps because of it - our group was quite calm in dealing with the matter - but the constant deferral of blame by citing that the hotel was very busy and that they had been preoccupied with managing two weddings began to grate after some time. I asked the gentleman in charge of hotel accommodation why the rooms were not ready when the hotel was well aware of our reservation and it was considerably past the check in time, the curtness and arrogance of the response stunned and disappointed me. I made my views very clear at that point.

Aside from this, the housekeeping, with the exception of the last day - when I believe a different maid serviced the rooms - was hopeless. On each day, swathes of items were missing and the rooms were half-heartedly attended to. Other items, which are generally considered normal - such as writing paper near a telephone or a pen with which to make notes seemed not to be provided by the hotel. Further, towels and bathroom accessories appeared to be provided on severely strict (and insufficient) rations! When one noted the missing items the hotel was good at delivering those, but having to review what was missing and submit a request to the hotel for such basic service details was frustrating.

The hotel's saving grace - as with all Westin's - is the Heavenly Bed. Despite this, I find it hard to recommend the hotel, if a suitable alternative exists. In fact, the hotel has done much to lower much expectation of the Westin Hotels.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank frequentworldtrotter
I am so sorry to hear that you had a difficult experience at our property. I understand that when you get to the hotel you want to have your room ready as soon as you arrive. I am sorry you had to wait for your room to be serviced. We only want you to feel a warm welcome to our property with an efficient check in. Our director of Operations is going to bring up the importance of empathy and service the Westin Way.

I am also sorry that your service to your room was not up to your expectations. I understand wanting all of the amenities in the room and not having to deal with the hassle of asking for more to be delivered. The Director of Housekeeping is currently retraining his associates on the importance of detail orientation and following the Westin Service list when refreshing a room.

We would never want our property to lower your expectation of a Westin. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you wish to further discuss your experience. I only want to come to a solution that is pleasing to you.

Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Grand Central Station in September.

It’s in a great location – very central and easy to get to just about anywhere you want to go.

The hotel is pretty standard Westin fare. Decent sized rooms with the Heavenly beds and they are nicely appointed. Overall the staff was good, however the night concierge was not particularly helpful in assisting us with Theater tickets.

The restaurant was decent and overall our stay was very pleasant. Would definitely recommend and would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
It is true being located near Grand Central station not only helps you navigate Manhattan, it helps you with your travels to all of New York City, as there are many subway lines that all meet in this one train station. You can also conveniently walk to Times Square, Central Park, and right across the street from the Chrysler Building one of our guests favorite attractions.

I am happy you were able to enjoy our Westin comfortable Heavenly bed and bath as well as the spacious layout and amenities we offer. We only want our guests to have a refreshing and rejuvenating stay and we know it starts with the mattress, the reason guests stay in the hotel.

I do apologize the concierge wasn't able to fully assist you with your show you planned on attending. Our Director of Operations is going to retrain the concierge and ensure they have all of the resources necessary to be able to properly service our guests.

I do hope you would stay with us again and I thank you for recommending us to the TripAdvisor community.