“Good Location; Service Issues”

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #217 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“Good Location; Service Issues”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We reserved two rooms for two nights at the Westin NYGC with what seemed to be a very good rate. The location is fantastic for vacationing; a block from GC, walking distance to theaters, shopping, and Time Square, etc. However the service experience was not what I expect from Starwood. First, I had issues confirming our request for adjoining rooms, but those seemed to be cleared up prior to our arrival (the solution was two rooms at the end of the hall, enclosed by one door that could be locked for privacy). When we checked in, however, only one of the rooms was available. We were told (oddly) that Mr. [won't say his name] who is a Platinum has requested a 6:00 p.m. checkout and that was being granted. Management assured us that the room would be turned as soon as he checked out, we provided a cell number, and went to dinner. When we returned from dinner (9:00, four hours later), our room still was not ready. Anyway, several conversations with management finally got the issue resolved, although I was not pleased that they didn't call my cell to notify us or provide any update and I had to make repeated trips to the lobby. Then, we realized that the locking door outside both rooms wasn't working, and that had to be fixed as well. In addition, although Mr. so-and-so purportedly "trashed the room" (which is why it took 3+ hours to clean), there were still soap wrappers in the shower from his stay, a lack of towels, and robes had to be brought up. This just isn't a great way to start a weekend after traveling a long distance and isn't what I expect from Starwood.

Beyond those issues, ultimately, the room had a great city view and was very comfortable. The staff in general was very friendly, and we were comped a bit (although I had to ask for it, where I would expect it to be offered given the circumstances). We did have to resolve some issues with the comps at check-out to make sure they were applied.

I would stay there again assuming a really good rate, but be prepared to work through some hassles persistently.

Room Tip: You can email with management prior to your trip to discuss any potential issues (such as our need f...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
We at The Westin New York Grand Central, appreciate your honesty and input about our services and what needs to be improved. We aim to not only satisfy your expectations, but rather exceed them. Our goal is to provide exceptional guest service and amenities that leave you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.

I apologize that this was not what you had experienced and I agree with the level of service you should have received. We appreciate your patience and I apologize that you had to wait for your room to be prepared. We have contacted the Front Office and Security departments, and I am pleased to inform you that they have reprogrammed the door locks individually and this challenge has been resolved. I apologize that you were affected, but appreciate the feedback as we were able to take positive strides to resolve this.

We thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and the Westin and hope given another opportunity we can exceed your expectations. If you have any further concerns or wish to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly.

Service Express Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Quechee, Vermont
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We arrived at 2pm, were quickly assigned to our room. But it was not the one we reserved. The hotel re-assigned us to the proper room. No air conditioning. Called, tech appeared, worked on the problem. We were away for a while, returned at 6pm. Still no AC. Very hot and humid. Complained. Mariah at the from desk rescued us from the plight and a full hotel: She awarded us with the Presidential Suite! Small compared to similar suites elsewhere but very luxurious. We could imagine the First Family residing there for a night. Room service, surprisingly, was somewhat slow, but the hotel was full. Inadequate wine selection. Our grandchildren loved the built-in iPad and the many tv screens (especially in the MBR bath, built into the large bathroom mirror. Nice accommodations. It's a large hotel.
Overall, a mixed reaction to our NYC visit. But, ultimately, the staff saved us.

Room Tip: Make sure the air-conditioning works!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Norman W
Hello Norman,

I would like to thank you for communicating with us about your experience here at our hotel. We are happy to hear that our staff was able to effectively help you in your challenge with the amenities. I’m glad we were able to happily upgrade you to a presidential suite. I do personally apologize for the inconvenience you had and I am pleased to say the situation has been resolved.

We thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood brand and for choosing The Westin New York Grand Central as your hotel to rejuvenate and relax. If you have any further concerns or wish to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2013

A rough trip in to New York made worse by surly service at night.
Our plane was delayed and our taxi ran into traffic coming into New York. We finally arrived at 1:30 in the morning, with wife and kids in tow, just wanting to get to bed. There was one person at the reception desk speaking with another guest. They spent the next five minutes talking and then the front desk guy left (to do something for the first guest) while there was a line-up of 4 other people behind us, but did not acknowledge us or the other guests. A few minutes later someone came to the desk and looked up our reservation. “Oh your room is dirty” (how can my prepaid room be dirty?). After speaking to the manager, She came back and said OK we will give you another cleaned room and have the other room cleaned for the next person.
Then after fiddling with the computer for a while, then asks for the names of everyone who is staying on the room. (In 30 years, I have never had anyone ask that question). so we asked why? Her response, “Why? Do you have a problem with that!?” She also said that “maybe everyone else has not been doing their job properly”.
Finally, we got our room and found out it was right beside the elevator (Ding, ding ding). We called down to the manager and her response “Do you want us to give you earplugs?” (No we want a quiet room that we can sleep in!) Too tired to argue, I agreed to switch rooms the next day (yes we were woken by people having conversations at the elevator at 4:00am).
Spoke to the desk the next morning and requested a quiet room away from the elevator and away from the ice machine. When we came back to the hotel we got our room (2 doors down from the ice machine).
It really is a shame we chose the hotel for the location (right beside Grand Central Station) and the name. We have been to New York 4 times in the past 5 years and stayed in various hotels with great service. After all that we had been through you would think someone would follow-up to see if things were satisfactory. I guess not at a Westin!

Room Tip: Away from elevators and the Ice machine (not that they will give it to you)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TO_TRAVELLERS_8
I would like to start by offering you my sincerest apologies for the experience you had here at our hotel. As a Starwood property and a Westin brand our goal is to offer the highest level of guest service and exceed your expectations. We want you to feel valued as a guest and leave your journey feeling rejuvenated and renewed.

Arriving late at night with a family, I can understand your feelings for wanting to just go to a room and get some sleep. I am sorry for the difficulty you had getting a room that was satisfying. I would like to take this time to let you know that we do value our guests and your experience. I want to thank you for your honesty and assisting us in our efforts to make your stay a positive and memorable one.

I would love to personally schedule a time to speak to you so together we can come up with a resolution to gain your loyalty once more. It would be my pleasure to show you how much you are valued as a guest. Please feel free to contact me directly.

PA
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed here recently to attend a wedding in NY. The room was a decent size by NY standards and the bed and pillows were quite comfortable. My wife uses this hotel a lot for business trips to NY as well. Newly renovated and would suggest staying here if you can. The doormen and bellmen at this place a great, friendly and very helpful.

Room Tip: Off 42nd street room would be quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Great service from minute one at reception. Shimea at front desk was incredible - knowledgeable, friendly & very helpful!

Rooms are very nice and roomy, esp for NY.

Requested refrigerator and was there in less than 5 minutes.

• Stayed July 2013
Chicago IL
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Very convenient walk to Grand Central station. The Westin was very nice and the staff friendly, and helpful. There was a great NY Bagel shop close by. Waling distance to Starbucks, cabs always near by and felt safe walking the area. I could stay here with hubby, friends or solo.

The rooms were super clean - beds comfy.

Westins have specials at times and shows up on Hotwire too. Happy we stayed here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I typically stay at the Grand Hyatt or Westin, Time Square, but decided to try this newer renovated hotel. The only front desk associate that is actually polite and has a smile is Hoda. She was very courteous even when I checked in at 2 AM. The rest of hotel staff, including their management need to go through a customer service training program. My first night staying at the hotel spoiled the rest of my trip which was a combo of business/vacation. I arrived very late at 2 AM due to flight arrival from LA. Went to bed and didn't realize I slept on soiled, nasty sheets that was never changed from the day prior (see attachments). It was the most disgusting experience! Although the hotel was apologetic about it, their compensation was lousy points to my SPG account. It took 45 minutes for house keeping to arrive, after I run to front desk to notify their manager, and complained. I was on hold for 15 minutes and the phone constantly rang, with no answer. The operators don't care about your complaint and are rude, unprofessional.

Rooms are very small, bathroom doors almost hit the toilet when opened. Not enough room to move around. Decor is minimal and the picture online are deceiving. House keeping shows up before 9 even on weekends and are loud knocking on guest's door to start their cleaning.

If you want a 4 star hotel, this is not the one. Try a W, if you prefer SPG properties. I will not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rfazilat
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Rfazilat,

I want to thank you for your honesty in assisting us in our efforts to make your stay a positive and memorable one. I appreciate your input as we cannot improve our services without such. I deeply apologize for your impression of our hotel. We never want our guests to leave feeling as if they are not valued. We want you to land from your late flight and have a restful sleep on our Heavenly bed, waking up feeling recharged and revitalized.

I completely understand your feelings and your expectations for a guest room. The housekeeping department was notified and is being diligently trained on the Westin standard and the proper service techniques. Our goal is to exceed your expectations and I apologize that this did not occur with your recent stay with us.

As a Starwood Preferred Guest we appreciate your loyalty with Starwood and hope there is a solution you and I can both formulate. I would love to personally talk to you as you are truly valued as a guest. Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss this further.