We reserved two rooms for two nights at the Westin NYGC with what seemed to be a very good rate. The location is fantastic for vacationing; a block from GC, walking distance to theaters, shopping, and Time Square, etc. However the service experience was not what I expect from Starwood. First, I had issues confirming our request for adjoining rooms, but those seemed to be cleared up prior to our arrival (the solution was two rooms at the end of the hall, enclosed by one door that could be locked for privacy). When we checked in, however, only one of the rooms was available. We were told (oddly) that Mr. [won't say his name] who is a Platinum has requested a 6:00 p.m. checkout and that was being granted. Management assured us that the room would be turned as soon as he checked out, we provided a cell number, and went to dinner. When we returned from dinner (9:00, four hours later), our room still was not ready. Anyway, several conversations with management finally got the issue resolved, although I was not pleased that they didn't call my cell to notify us or provide any update and I had to make repeated trips to the lobby. Then, we realized that the locking door outside both rooms wasn't working, and that had to be fixed as well. In addition, although Mr. so-and-so purportedly "trashed the room" (which is why it took 3+ hours to clean), there were still soap wrappers in the shower from his stay, a lack of towels, and robes had to be brought up. This just isn't a great way to start a weekend after traveling a long distance and isn't what I expect from Starwood.
Beyond those issues, ultimately, the room had a great city view and was very comfortable. The staff in general was very friendly, and we were comped a bit (although I had to ask for it, where I would expect it to be offered given the circumstances). We did have to resolve some issues with the comps at check-out to make sure they were applied.
I would stay there again assuming a really good rate, but be prepared to work through some hassles persistently.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin New York Grand Central hotel is located in the heart of midtown Manhattan. Our hotel is ideal for both leisure and business travelers as it is ideally located near Grand Central Terminal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your The Westin New York Grand Central reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The New York Helmsley Hotel New York City
- The Hotel New York City
- New York Helmsley Hotel
- Hemsley New York
- Helmsley Hotel New York
- The New York City Helmsley
- Helmsley New York