“Loved the westin hospitality!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #221 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary, Canada
“Loved the westin hospitality!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

This was a last minute fly-by-the -seat of my pants trip to New York and the Westin Grand Central did not disappoint!! I specifically chose the location so I would be close to the subway and not in noisy Times Square. Fantastic staff and clean/comfortable/quiet room with a view ensured a great stay! Thanks for the fun weekend!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Villanova, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed at the Westin on June 8th with my wife and daughter who was celebrating her 12th birthday. After a long day full of activities, I was looking forward to checking in and getting a good night's sleep. While the hotel itself was extremely nice--a clean, comfortable room on the 39th floor with a view of the Empire State Building which was spacious by NY standards at a reasonable rate--my wife and I were awakened at 4:00 a.m. by a loud, drunk, profane group staying in the room next door (we were in room 3920) who were apparently returning from a night of revelry. For 45 minutes the group next door carried on as if there were no other guests in the hotel. I know NY is the city that never sleeps, but I was under the impression that staying up all night was supposed to be a choice. In fairness to the hotel, I did not contact the front desk and complain while this was going on. Frankly, I was concerned that if I placed a call to the front desk and the front desk placed a call to the party in the next room (with whom we shared a connecting door), the drunks in the next room would have become agitated, the unruly behavior would only worsen, and my family would be subjected to harassment for complaining. When asked how I enjoyed my stay at check-out, I informed the nice young lady at the front desk named Pei about what had happened, and she seemed genuinely concerned and offered me a sincere apology and some bonus points as a Starwood Preferred Guest. I travel all over the country for business and Westin is usually a first choice for me -- this is the first time I have ever had an experience where I actually felt a little unsafe in my room. I would welcome hearing from a Westin representative with the hotel's view concerning how I should have handled this situation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MMurphy313
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had read the reviews which have ranged from good to mediocre...amittedly many of the worst reviews were just after the conversion to Westin.

We booked using points. I am a lifetime Gold SPG.

Our room was on the 36th floor and out the window the Empire State Building was framed by two office buildings...very pretty.

Check in was fast and friendly...took 2 minutes.

Room was surprisingly large. No complaints with the decor or the ammenities. Only complaint was the TV that kept losing signal. Not sure if it was cable or OTA...but a bit annoying. Now, Friday was a terrible storm that flooded much of NYC area, so there could have been an affect.

Location was good. It was a short walk to Theatre District or Grand Central. Not a big deal at all...personally, I would choose here again vs Times Square hotels if the same premium exists.

The most surprising thing was that for a hotel that apparently houses so many rooms, it felt small: never waited for elevators, pompt responses...

Room Tip: 3621 view out the window is the empire State Building.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We booked this on points for a last minute trip and only rooms with King beds were available for booking. They had upgraded us beforehand due to SPG status and were incredibly flexible in changing us to a room with two beds. They put us on the SPG floor and the room looked new and was impeccably clean and super comfortable. Very large room for NYC standards. We easily got street parking right across the street so did not even have to spend money on parking. First time we have ever stayed at a hotel and had a zero balance. My only grumble is that they had plastic cups in the bathroom. We spent the following night at the W hotel and will never stay there again. We plan to stay at the Westin Grand Cental again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful from the minute we walked in. The hotel
is in a great location within walking distance to almost everything. Nice comfortable beds in a nice size room for NYC.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Doris smiled like a mother welcoming her son home from college as we walked through the front doors 2 days ago... Instantly feeling welcome and content with our room selection, we were ready to relax after a hectic commute.

Anthony S, boasting a plethora of local knowledge due to his upbringing on the lower east side of manhattan, was the first bellman that has ever insisted we stop tipping $$. Incredible service!!

Deidre.... is the reason for the title of this post... "As Good As It Gets". Thank you for your humor and kindness. We hope to be back annually.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Helpful staff, wonderful rooms, highly recommend . Rooms all refurbished, views so good and perfect location would stay again. Very clean. Very modern with good services. Lot of advice on where to go and what to do.

• Stayed May 2013