“Brilliant hotel, perfect for business as well as pleasure travellers.”

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #220 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Winnipeg, Canada
“Brilliant hotel, perfect for business as well as pleasure travellers.”
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Whilst its true that the amount of time spent in a hotel room is very little and is considered as just a place to spend the night, I strongly believe that a good night sleep is the difference between waking up refreshed or more tired than before you went to bed. That is why, I spent a considerable amount of time researching hotels with good customer reviews. Location was another very important factor that I kept in mind whilst deciding on the hotel.

The Westin Grand Central is located a few minutes walk from the Grand Central station providing excellent transportation links. It's surrounded by great places for breakfast (my favourite being Pret-A-Manger). Staff at the hotel are friendly and welcoming. Rooms are spacious and newly refurbished.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling on business or pleasure.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed in a room with two queen beds and it was more than spacious enough for me and my two friends. Great view of the Chrysler building from our side. Great location-wise to get to many touristy things. And many restaurants and smaller places around to grab breakfast or lunch. The only problem was that the window didn't close properly and was cracked open a bit at the top and so you could always hear the cars and sirens. Room 3007! Didn't have time to check out the facilities of the hotel - out and about more than inside!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Nice hotel. Room was large and clean. And quiet. The location was good. Much quieter area Times Square, which is the reason to stay here. The staff wasn't great or helpful. I checked in after 5pm and there was no room for me. I was a little annoyed, as a gold member, or anyone paying for a room which is to be ready at 3, I think something should have been done. But I was sent away with my luggage to to wait for a call. Really, send me to the bar or something. A bit disappointing. But if you expect no service and like the quieter location, stay there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 25, 2013

What I liked:
Great view of NYC from the room, comfortable room with great bed, nice bathroom, excellent gym (you can even call for work out clothing/shoes which I did not do), restaurant with good reviews on site, decent hotel bar, check in experience reasonable, great location a few blocks from Grand Central.

Liked a little less: slightly disorganized cleaning crew; took my robe on day 1 and never brought it back; forgot coffee another time.

Overall, would definitely return however.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Barrington, Rhode Island
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Very consistent and great value for the room and location. I love Westin hotels as they are clean, modern and pet friendly.

I was able to check in early (12:30) after long drive and all of the staff were extremely helpful.

Two things I DO NOT recommend. Parking and parking an SUV. For one night, I paid $115 to park. Granted it was 25 hours of parking, but between charging a full extra day for that hour and an additional up charge for the SUV, you may be better off parking on the street for a ticket. Parking was absolutely outrageous, even for NYC mid-town/ east side.

Sitka, Alaska, United States
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Very nice and clean room in a great location. Restaurant serves all day. The location is two blocks from Grand Central Station and not far from Empire State Building. The staff are very helpful. Just a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to offer us your review.

I am glad to read your visit was refreshing and you regard our hotel as a great place to visit. We look forward to your next visit!

Joe Britt
Service Express Manager
Montreal
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I generally like the Westin chain of hotels for both business and pleasure, primarily because of the consistently modern and clean rooms, ultra comfortable beds and good service. However, I was very disappointed with my stay at this particular Westin in NYC. Upon arrival at 7 p.m. after a long 6.5 hour drive, I was informed that the 2 rooms I had reserved for myself and my family were not ready and that we were invited to a drink at the bar. We had dinner reservations at 8 p.m. so waiting around was not an option. Upon asking to speak to the manager, he managed to check-us in to 1 room and advised that the other room would be ready within 30 minutes and that somebody would call me as soon as it was ready. I waited over an hour and nobody called me so upon returning to the front desk and complaining yet again, I was finally able to check-in to my room at almost 8 p.m. Check-in time is listed as 3 p.m.! To my disappointment, it was not the room I had reserved; I was given a room with 2 double beds instead of a room with 1 king-size bed. Next, upon taking a shower, I noticed that the drain was clogged and I was up to my ankles in water. As well, the TV kept losing signal so cable was shady and didn't work for the few minutes that I wanted to catch the morning news. Upon checking-out, I voiced my disappointment to the front desk clerk, Lily, who was very pleasant and did offer to waive the valet parking which was a hefty $60 per night. The most I have ever been charged for valet parking per night in NYC. Perhaps they simply had an off night, but from my disappointing experience, this hotel was not consistent with the Westin level of service that I am used to and really not worth the price despite the very central location. Would not recommend staying here for a weekend getaway to NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up for the view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travelover007
Thank you for taking the time to offer us your review.

I am very sorry to read you had many challenges during your most recent visit with us. We always do our very best to ensure each of our guests receive their requested room type which sometimes leads to delays in our arrival process. I agree, it appears we did not live up to our goal to ensure you leave us feeling refreshed and renewed.

I am very pleased to read our Front Office Associate Lily, took the lead and waived your parking charges.

I would love the opportunity to once again welcome you back to our hotel and ensure your next visit and prove this visit was not the norm and offer you exceptional service for which we are known. Please contact me directly when are planning your next visit.

Joe Britt