“Hotel is great, parking was awful”

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #222 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Very consistent and great value for the room and location. I love Westin hotels as they are clean, modern and pet friendly.

I was able to check in early (12:30) after long drive and all of the staff were extremely helpful.

Two things I DO NOT recommend. Parking and parking an SUV. For one night, I paid $115 to park. Granted it was 25 hours of parking, but between charging a full extra day for that hour and an additional up charge for the SUV, you may be better off parking on the street for a ticket. Parking was absolutely outrageous, even for NYC mid-town/ east side.

• Stayed: May 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (3,616)

Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Very nice and clean room in a great location. Restaurant serves all day. The location is two blocks from Grand Central Station and not far from Empire State Building. The staff are very helpful. Just a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to offer us your review.

I am glad to read your visit was refreshing and you regard our hotel as a great place to visit. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I generally like the Westin chain of hotels for both business and pleasure, primarily because of the consistently modern and clean rooms, ultra comfortable beds and good service. However, I was very disappointed with my stay at this particular Westin in NYC. Upon arrival at 7 p.m. after a long 6.5 hour drive, I was informed that the 2 rooms I had reserved for myself and my family were not ready and that we were invited to a drink at the bar. We had dinner reservations at 8 p.m. so waiting around was not an option. Upon asking to speak to the manager, he managed to check-us in to 1 room and advised that the other room would be ready within 30 minutes and that somebody would call me as soon as it was ready. I waited over an hour and nobody called me so upon returning to the front desk and complaining yet again, I was finally able to check-in to my room at almost 8 p.m. Check-in time is listed as 3 p.m.! To my disappointment, it was not the room I had reserved; I was given a room with 2 double beds instead of a room with 1 king-size bed. Next, upon taking a shower, I noticed that the drain was clogged and I was up to my ankles in water. As well, the TV kept losing signal so cable was shady and didn't work for the few minutes that I wanted to catch the morning news. Upon checking-out, I voiced my disappointment to the front desk clerk, Lily, who was very pleasant and did offer to waive the valet parking which was a hefty $60 per night. The most I have ever been charged for valet parking per night in NYC. Perhaps they simply had an off night, but from my disappointing experience, this hotel was not consistent with the Westin level of service that I am used to and really not worth the price despite the very central location. Would not recommend staying here for a weekend getaway to NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up for the view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank travelover007

Thank you for taking the time to offer us your review.

I am very sorry to read you had many challenges during your most recent visit with us. We always do our very best to ensure each of our guests receive their requested room type which sometimes leads to delays in our arrival process. I agree, it appears we did not live up to our goal to ensure you leave us feeling refreshed and renewed.

I am very pleased to read our Front Office Associate Lily, took the lead and waived your parking charges.

I would love the opportunity to once again welcome you back to our hotel and ensure your next visit and prove this visit was not the norm and offer you exceptional service for which we are known. Please contact me directly when are planning your next visit.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

It's an okay spot to stay. I was here recently on business and the room is comfortable. I think the hotel can use some upgrades at some point. Overall I would give this place a B- to a C+. Not a terrible spot if you get it for the right price.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to offer us this review.

We are always looking for ways to improve our service and amenities for our guests and more than often it is our guests who can pinpoint and area that needs to be revision. I will welcome any suggestion you might have.

Please contact me directly and thank you again.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights for our annual visit to New York.

Arrived after midnight and with just one person on reception and 4 people in front of us the check in process was not quick and we were desperate fir some sleep!

We had a room of floor 35 which was good because even at that level there was traffic noise so pleased we weren't at the bottom. The room size was excellent for New York and really comfortable too - especially the famous Westin beds. The bathroom was more average in size but fine for what we needed with a shower over he bath.

Unfortunately we were on the wrong side of he building to have a view of our favourite building in NYC - the Chrysler Building. The hotel is set just down the road from Grand Central Station and its not far to walk into Times Square and the shops on 5th Avenue.

We didn't eat there so can't make any comments about the food but we had a nice cocktail in the bar one evening.

Check out was done efficiently and they stored our bags for us until we got back later in the day.

Certainly would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello,

I am sorry your arrival process has some delay but I am very glad to read we were able to offer you a great room on the 35th floor away from the street traffic.

Please contact me directly for your next visit with us and I will try my best to honor your request for a high floor facing your favorite site the Chrysler Building.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

First, I do want to express my gratitude to Erica at the SPG Preferred Guest check in. She remembers me from prior stays, and goes above and beyond to ensure my simplest needs are met. If you look for exceptional customer service in Webster's dictionary, you'll see her picture! Unfortunately, once it leaves her hands, the hotel fails. For some reason, this hotel cannot deliver a USA Today to my room each morning. They can deliver a WSJ or a NY Times, but since they drop USA Today in the elevator lobby, they will not deliver a USA Today to my room and they fight with me every time I'm here. I told myself I would never stay here again since this hotel cannot perform the simplest task. Unfortunately, I had to stay here this week due to preferred rates at other SPG properties being sold out. Every other SPG property in NYC can deliver a USA Today to my room each morning, so I'm still at a loss why this hotel cannot. I was assured after 3 prior stays earlier this year that they would deliver the paper to me. So I checked in Sunday night. Erica assured me that my profile said USA Today and I would have one in the morning. When I woke up, there was no paper at my door. I spoke with a manager (Chris) and he told me that I needed to go to the elevator lobby each morning. I told him that was unacceptable. The person who delivered the WSJ and the NYT to other rooms on my floor could pick up a USA Today and drop it off at my room. He assured me that I would have a USA Today each morning, and so far, I've had one since I spoke to him. I just don't understand why I have to fight for something this simple. Now I know its a simple thing. A newspaper. But I want it delivered to my room. Each morning. Without a hassle! The GM has postings that say "I am committed to ensuring each guest that stays with us has their expectations met and hopefully exceeded" Epic Failure! I will never stay at this property again.

Room Tip: Stay at the Westin Times Square or the Sheraton at 52nd and 7th if you want platinum service.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Hello,

Please accept my sincere apology for all the challenges that you experienced. This is certainly not the Westin Brand experience we aim to provide our guests and I am truly sorry this happened to you.

Our goal is to provide our guests with an inspiring experience, leaving you renewed and refresh and to hear that we did not properly carry out this promise is very disappointing. Please know that this is not a typical service of our hotel.

Please contact me directly as I would love to offer you some options to regain your loyalty back.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

My daughter and I try to make an annual visit to NYC. After having stayed at other equally well-known hotels, we no longer need to question as to where we will stay. We recently had a four night stay to celebrate a birthday. The convenience of this hotel with its proximity to Grand Central, plus the central location, make the Westin second to none. From the front desk to the room attendants, everyone goes above and beyond to make one's stay a memorable one. Having recently become a Westin, the rooms (and entire property) are in five star condition with five star decor and amenities. The price could not be better when you compare similar properties. We are most "picky" when it comes to hotels, and we would say this definitely more than meets the most discriminating of hotel tastes.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Hello!

It is fantastic to read you consider us Perfect in every way!

I am very glad we were able to live up to our goal of ensuring each and every visit is a rejuvenating and renewing experience. We are constantly attempting to improve our service and to read we achieved our goal for your visit is just Perfect!