“Nice hotel, ridiculous service.”

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #229 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Myself and my brother stayed 4 nights in the Westin. We booked our room through booking.com for a very reasonable price. We were greated with a less than pleasant welcome.
When checking in, I gave the receptionist my credit card. After attempting to book me in, she simply gave me back my card and mumbled "it isn't working". When I asked to to explain the problem to me, she simply repeated herself and left us standing in the lobby as I contacted my bank.
The bank said there was no issue. I then tried it with another receptionist, and after 10 minutes, he somehow came to the conclusion that he would have to charge me on a daily basis and return my keys the following morning. He then mentioned that taxes sometimes cost 3-400$, which had no relevence to the situation. I then addressed him that tax was 14% of our total bill, to which he didn'nt respond.
The following day I went to reception to renew my key and pay for the next night, and I was told they had'nt any idea what the situation was in relation to my stay and to call back later. I called back later and a man named smalls (who was by far the most helpful member of staff) sorted the situation and checked me in for my following 3 nights.
On the second evening, on 4 seperate occasions members of staff knocked on our door to ask us were we staying because they thought we were checked out.
Unsurprisingly on the evening of our third day, we were locked out of our room, and also on our final night.
We couldn't enjoy the pleasant surroundings of the hotel, because we had a feeling everyday that our bags would just be tossed out of our room.
I would go as far as saying the service in the hotel was pathetic and brought a great deal of stress upon myself and my brother for the duration of our stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank 479AdamC
Joe B, Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Welcome,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I offer you my deepest apologize for the challenges you had to endure during your visit with us. Due to your concerns and very candid feedback, we have started reviewing our daily training steps with our associates to go over and cover issues pertaining to credit cards. This process will help our associates better understand and inform our guests as to why a credit card is not properly processing through our server and to also recommend and assist our guests with contacting their respective banks.

We have also strengthen with our management team the importance of properly updating a guest profile to help speed up the wait time and avoid our guests having to revisit similar questions with service.

You have provided us with some very valuable feedback with your review. Please contact me directly when you plan to visit us again as I will ensure you leave us feeling refreshed and renewed.

Joe Britt
Service Express Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,660)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Location was a little further over on the East side than I would normally choose - so bit of a hike back at night from a broadway show if you can't get a cab/don't want to ride subway. But still pretty easy to get around. (Ess A Bagel is just about 10 blocks up 3rd for some amazing bagels!)

Our rooms were as expected for a Westin - clean and comfortable, and the heavenly shower was great with decent shampoo/conditioner in room. The guys at the luggage storage and at the door were helpful. One of the front desk staff was a little brusque, but everyone else was very pleasant. There is some street noise at night - but not that big a deal.

Room Tip: you might not want to face 42nd if street noise bothers you
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I actually enjoyed this Westin. Staff were excellent. The hotel itself was fresh and in great shape. Close to Grand Central station. This hotel has gone all electronic in its bill delivery. It was nice to have the bill in my email before I left. Very nice. I always distrust this method of delivery since it seems like the emails never show up when you can review and dispute if needed. Nice to see a system that actually worked. Would stay here again. It is close to all of the midtown excitement with out the need to be in party mode 24x7.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Can't go wrong with it's location within walking distance to timesquare, UN, Subway etc.
Hotel itself was nice, with friendly and attentative staff. The onsite restaurant is handy but they need more staff or work on time management better. The slow service was a real let down. We had to cancel our drinks at the bar after waiting patiently for 40 mins..and we had to leave because we had reservations elsewhere. The same delay in service was also experienced during breakfast time each morning, and they kept saying they were super busy but the place was only half full. I gave up after the 2nd day and went elsewhere for breakfast, a real shame because the chef who cooked the breakfast was amazing! The most perfect poached eggs ever!!
If I were on holidays I wouldn't mind waiting long for the perfect cooked eggs..but I had to go to work.
Other than that, everything else was great. Rooms were very spacious, clean and modern.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Wonderful hotel. The location is right next to Grand Central Station and close to shopping and great restaurants. The service was excellent. The rooms were spacious, very clean and comfortable. Bathrooms have large vanity and underneath storage for personal items; rain showers with spray attachment. Newly opened bar and restaurant in lobby.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Several/Many stays over the past 2 or so years. Saw transition from Helmsley to Westin and I have to say it is looking very good. Rooms are modern with very good sleep factor--quieter, modern, and clean. The lobby is much improved and the smallish bar/breakfast location is pleasant. During the evening it is mostly hip with the business crown and tourists. Still more construction going on and all in all I have to say that I really like this place.

Staff is friendly and the location is outstanding. Many choices in NYC for hotel "experience" and "prices" and this one should be on the list if you can get it and get a high floor.

Recommended.

Room Tip: call well ahead, ask for higher rooms, away from the main 42nd street.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Zoomer2You
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed here last December- comfortable, safe and stylish. The rooms were very clean- great furniture, great design. Staff provided outstanding service. Only downside was parking which was a bit expensive, but you can't really expect less for Manhattan, so no complaints. I would recommend this place to anyone willing to pay the price: walking distance to all attractions! Is it worth your money? absolutely.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business