“Staff”

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #219 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This hotel has great service, very clean and the rooms are spacious. The doormen actually do their job!!! Usually in other hotels they are chatting, not paying attention, etc. But all of them were so polite and professional. The concierge (Franz?) helped me secure a car service and made sure I got to my car w/out any problems.

Another stand out start employee, Stephanie Hawkins, conference service coordinator helped me out in the hugest way when I was off to an event in the city. I wasn't even using their conference services and she dropped everything to help me in a bind.

I really enjoyed my stay here and we will back again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank biztravelerBoston
Joe B, Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Welcome!

Thank you for taking the time to write this considerate review for our valued associates and hotel. Your considerate words are great reminder of what we do best!

Your generous words are reminder of what can be achieved with great service and loyalty to our guests. I thank you for review as I know it will be greatly appreciated by our team.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Joe Britt
Service Express Manager

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Great location - 3 minutes from Grand Central Station. Very comfortable beds. We had a spacious room (standard room) which can be hard to find in NY. Coffee&tea making in room. Free wifi in room. Breakfast reasonably priced and served in nice 'cafe'. We haven't used the service but you can hire short and shirt, socks and New Balance shoes to use in the gym for 5 usd.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This Westin is entirely mediocre / average. The hallways are shabby and dated. The bathrooms are fine, but nothing impressive. Housekeeping woke me up twice. They announced "housekeeping!!" as they were opening my door and I was still asleep (at 10am). How about knocking and actually waiting to see if someone is home? I said I was sleeping. Housekeeping entered my room again 20 minutes later and yelled "housekeeping!!!" Really? What makes you think I'm awake and want housekeeping 20 minutes later? The minute I exited my room, someone breathlessly asked if they could clean my room now. At finer hotels, this all happens seamlessly without the guest realizing that it's being done or being bothered and pestered.

My room was connected to another room by a locked door. Unfortunately, I could hear each time my neighbor coughed, and I could hear kids talking and playing.

The extra charges at this hotel are just silly. If I'm paying over $300 for room, don't nickle and dime me. It's tacky. And if you want to make extra money, just charge a little more for my room. I was appalled that wireless in my room would cost $15. The "business center" charged by the hour to use a computer and charged for printing. Again, tacky. If you're a high-class hotel with high room rates, you can afford to provide a complementary business center. The room service prices are a joke. I expect to pay higher-than-reasonable prices for room service. I don't expect the prices to reach insanity. Regular cereal - like Raisin Bran - was $14! Add in the room service fee, taxes, etc and that's $20 for a bowl of cereal. You can literally buy 5-6 BOXES for this price.

Oh, and a pet peeve of mine... the "bell men" will treat you rudely if you don't tip whatever amount they have decided is sufficient. My tipping varied based on the service provided and the dollar bills I had on me. In a good hotel, a basic level of service should be consistent regardless of tip, and staff should not make it painfully obvious that their behavior is entirely motivated by tips. It's rude and tacky. The Westin failed this.

Positives: The location is very good. Comfy beds. The room size was very good for NYC and my view was great. The lobby is attractive with a trendy vibe and makes you think you're entering a much nicer hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank MargotCS
Joe B, Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Welcome,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at The Westin New York Grand Central.

I am sorry for the negative experience you had during your stay in regards to the lack of proper housekeeping service and the constant disruption by our housekeepers. I can certainly understand your frustration and how this would leave a lasting impression especially as a guest your time is very valuable and limited and any interruption such as this can drastically alter your view of our hotel. We have addressed this issue and have setup new procedures to ensure this type of disruption does not occur.

I hope you will accept my sincerest apology on behalf of The Westin New York Grand Central. Open and honest reviews are extremely important to us and everything we do to make your stay special is based on the input we receive from our valuable guests. We really appreciate all reviews that we receive as this will ensure that the same situation does not occur again.

Please contact me directly when you are returning and I will ensure you leave our hotel feeling renewed and inspired.

Joe Britt
Service Express Manager

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Clean and classy hotel within walking distance of Grand Central and many attractions. Staff was very helpful; rooms were generously sized with nice furniture & comfy bedding. We got great off-peak season rates. Nice (but expensive) breakfast cafe on first floor. Took train from New Haven for great weekend in NYC. I would stay here again. Only complaint is no seating in lobby.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I booked this hotel through Hotwire at an exceptional rate when they were converting from the Helmsley brand. My stay was in December, one of the busiest times of the year for NYC, but I was given a double-bed room on a high floor as I requested. The front-desk staff weren't particularly friendly but your interaction with them is minimal so it didn't detract from the trip.

The room was nice and clean since the hotel was recently renovated and the views from the higher floors are great. I was also impressed with the elevator service since this can be an issue with large hotels. We never had to wait more than a few minutes for an empty one to arrive.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel, especially if you can get it a cheaper rate.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank squeakers3
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Hotel is nicely renovated, very clean, and beautiful. I was assigned room on the 10th floor. The sound isolation is poor and I can hear everything on the floor throughout the night. I slept very poorly. I will not stay again. Do try to get a high floor if you're staying here.

Room Tip: High floor room to avoid noise.
Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank eyhchen
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The rate is lower than other manhatton area SPG hotels. Location is not that far from Times Square. The SPG recognition is lacking behind other SPG hotels that I have stayed. My platinum status not recognized at check in. Suite upgrade not offered despite suites are available online. The room on SPG floor has great view and comfortable with a fairly decent size for NYC. The room service quality is just average. No club lounge. I would stay again only if the rate is significantly lower than other SPG hotels. I actually got a better recognition at W downtown when I was gold with a decent corner room upgrade that is much nicer than the room here. For non SPG hotels, I love Marriott Marquis with a very spacious room and very cool glass elevator and atrium ( with understandably higher rate)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family