“Excellent hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

This was my 2nd trip to New York and I could not fault this hotel. Yes ok food and drinks are expensive, but arent they all in hotels!! There is a Pax restaurant next door which is more than adequate for breakfast. Staff are lovely and could not fault them. Very close to Grand Central Station and Times Square is only a few blocks away. Had a fantastic time. Room was on the 25th floor and did not hear any noise.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

We had a great stay in the Westin recently, the hotel is lovely and very near grand central and times square etc. The rooms were lovely, service was great and staff very friendly. Our room even had a view of the empire state! Would definitely stay again and recommend for business, groups, family etc!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gemf6
Joe B, Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Hello!

Your comments about your stay with us are much appreciated and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and the Trip Advisor community!

I am delighted to hear that overall you enjoyed the accommodations at the Westin New York Grand Central. We hope to welcome you back to New York City on a future visit!

Joe Britt
Service Express Manager
Airb330
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are nice and relatively large for New York. LCL was an above average hotel bar; it seems fun and somewhere locals actually visit. The only problem with the hotel was a rather average check in. We were already upgraded to a corner room, but none were available. So why bother telling us? We were promised a high floor and a great room. In reality it was a handicapped room with no view. As a gold member, one would expect a little better than that honestly. Its still a great value on SPG points but I wouldnt pay $400 a night.

• Stayed December 2012
Caledon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I recently stayed at the Westin Grand Central New York between Nov 29th - Dec 2nd on my first trip to NYC. This hotel is two blocks away from Grand Central Station and super close to the Chrysler building. It's located on 42nd Street and 3rd Ave and I was very happy with the location. It's nearby lots of affordable restaurants on 3rd Ave, Bryant Park is 4 blocks west on 42nd and the United Nations is 2 blocks east on 42nd. So I would consider this hotel pretty centrally located. The hotel was beautifully decorated for Christmas and the staff were very friendly and accomodating. Our room was very big, clean and comfortable, they have the heavenly bed which was very cozy and hard to get out of in the morning. This hotel had recently been renovated and the room had everything that we would need. I was also happy because the hotel was able to give us some great coupons for shopping in the city which was great! I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would recommend it to anyone staying in New York anytime soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here in dec, which is about 2 months after it opened. The rate was one of the best around. I had requested adjoining rooms because I had children with me - they were one of the few hotels that could guarantee we would be given these rooms. It was great because the rooms are across the hall from each other and separated have the option to be separated by another locked door so no one could access our rooms at all in the night. Great piece of mind...preserved a pot of coffee in the morning and it was brought up within 5 minutes or so. Overall good property. The location isn't in the heart of time square which may not be the worst thing and is easily accessible to cabs on 2 nd and 3 rd Avenue

• Stayed December 2012
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

The only positive is the great Westin beds. Otherwise the Westin Grand Central is a disappointment. The rooms are reasonably sized as are the bathrooms but the staff let the place down. I stayed a week and was never acknowledged by any of the numerous doormen constantly standing around in the lobby doing goodness knows what. The reception staff are unfriendly and only 1 of them ever smiled in the week. The bar/restaurant was not open after renovations lasting more than 6 months. The concierge staff again never smiled but at least we're helpful. The room servicing was hit and miss- most days something would be forgotten to be replaced. Westin needs to do some serious staff training on service because it makes all the difference to your stay

Room Tip: Great coffee shop directly across 42nd Street
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Well, where do I start ?. I had high expectations after staying in a number of Westin’s globally however, I’m afraid I left my stay at the Westin Grant Central NYC a very unhappy and frustrated customer.

Firstly, I had booked here with a group attending a conference in NYC, so all up there were 12 of us staying for periods between 4 and 8 nights, so I figure just based on the room rate we were charged the bill was USD$70,000 plus meals, drinks, dry cleaning etc.. etc.. Not to say I was expecting anything “amazing”, but an adequate service would have been nice.

First impressions are good, an ok location in mid-town, not too far from Grand Central Terminal. The hotel is reasonably modern and well accessible. The check in process was ok, albeit there were only 2 clerks on duty and a 20 minute wait after a long flight was a drag. the check-in staff were not overly friendly or warm, and I really detected an air of indifference in their attitude. Anyway, after what seemed an extensive wait we received our key and made our way to the 14th floor.

The luggage arrived not long thereafter and we provided the porter the customary tip. Seeing we had just arrived at JFK with no opportunity to exchange currency, we offered an AUD 5 dollar note. The porter seemed miffed at this, scoured and left with barely an acknowledgement…… geez, sorry I didn’t anticipate the inconvenience I was going to cause the porter by not thinking ahead and exchanging some currency !.

As you do after being out of contact for some 24 hours, I logged on to the guest wireless internet. This is expensive at USD$15 + taxes per device per day. As my partner and I had a Blackberry, Iphone, Laptop and Ipad between us, this proved to be an expensive option. There were no discount plans available for 3 day/7 day plans either. This is quite a scam if you ask me as wireless is readily available for free around NYC.

The rooms themselves are functional. The beds are great, as I’ve come to expect with the Westin’s I’ve stayed in. The LCD screen is huge and provides a wide range of free to air and pay options. The bathroom is adequate, but a little on the small side and you could not accommodate 2 persons in there at the same time. A pet hate are the fabric shower screens which I personally find a little unhygienic.

We slept well, and ventured out the next day to do some exploring. Upon arriving back at the room at 4pm, the room hadn’t been attended to. A call to reception fixed this, but hey…. should I have to remind them of this ?. We also noticed that the little things went unnoticed, the tissue box in the bathroom remained empty for days, toilet paper was left to run low etc.

On the second last day we had left a laundry bag with a few basics to be laundered and a tie to be dry-cleaned. They forgot to collect the laundry and we had to remind housekeeping later in the day when we returned to the room. No apology, but they said they would try and return our laundry by 5pm the next day, even though it was a Saturday. Well, the laundry returned, and I don’t want to seem picky but everything was individually hung and plastic wrapped. I personally think this is excessive and the hotel should re-think it’s green credentials. My main beef was that the underwear and 3 blouses plus 1 tie came to USD$120 + taxes. Please…… I would rather an $80 service with less plastic !... ohh, and the tie came back from being dry cleaned with a stain clearly still evident.

The disaster in the hotel which will be this properties undoing is the dining room. Faulty Towers has nothing on this place. Where do I start ?.

Firstly I will acknowledge that the dining room and bar are recently opened, and as some reviewers have mentioned, the hotel had no dining/bar options for some time, so this must be an improvement…. perhaps… ?

The breakfast offered at the dining room is very basic. It consists of a buffet that comprises the following – 3 types of cereals, 2 types of flavoured yoghurts, fresh fruit (blueberries, strawberries, bananas), hot options (scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, sausages, roast potatoes), Muffins, breakfast bread rolls. The food didn’t look particularly appetising and at USD $25 each + taxes and service, it was poor value for money.

They make it very clear that this is a buffet and that they don’t do a-la-carte, but if you ask, they will “sometimes” accommodate your requests. The weird part is that that have a chef on attendance at the buffet (all decked out in high peak chef’s hat etc) and his primary role is to stir the eggs in the server. This was weird as when I asked him for some toast, he looked at me with a blank expression and he said that he “didn’t serve”, and motioned me towards a waiter. I still can’t quite figure out what his role was ?.

I think my main complaint with this restaurant was the service. The wait staff were down right rude. For example ; My partner was up at the buffet selecting some food and when the waiter came by to serve some coffee, I also ordered a green tea for my partner. 2 minutes later my partner sat down and decided that rather than green tea, she wanted Calm tea (a mixture of chamomile tea and other leafs). Five minutes later, the green tea arrived and when we enquired about the Calm tea, we were greeted with a scorn, and told that it was too late, as it had already been made !!... lol

On our last day we attended the buffet again and after being seated, we enquired if it was possible to get a side of smoked salmon. We were greeted with scorn at this request by the waiter and reminded of the no a-la-carte rule, but he would do his best. 20 mins later he returned to confirm that the chef would “make some”. When I politely enquired why the chef was required to “make” a side portion of smoked salmon, I was given some flippant comment that “it doesn’t appear on the plate by itself” and that it takes preparation etc. Anyway another 10 minutes elapsed and we were presented with some smoked salmon, bagels, cream cheese, onions and capers……. Now I know why the chef was required to “make it”, but this was quite different to what I had ordered. If only the waiter had explained this, there wouldn’t have been an issue.

At an adjacent table, the waiter was berating a customer for allowing their 5 yo girl to pick at a plate of food when she hadn’t paid for the service …. Seriously, the food is average and over-priced and why would you bother making a big deal of this… and particularly in middle of service, embarrassing the customer and making the other guests feel uncomfortable.

And finally, after breakfast we went back to the room and then went to check out. Upon checking the bill, I noticed that the breakfast hasn’t been included. I advised the clerk of this, and he phoned the dining area to see if he could get the charge posted. After 2 attempts and 5 minutes of waiting on the call for them to answer, I went to the restaurant myself to ask if they could post the charge. The restaurant was empty and I was told that by one of the SEVEN staff that it’s not normal practice to do this until end of shift ??. By this stage they could see I was getting irate and the Supervisor came across and attended to my request for me (how hard is It to request that I be charged !!). I went back to the front desk and he then proceeded to check me out and rolled his eyes muttering something about the poor restaurant……… clearly I wasn’t the only unhappy customer.

Any finally, upon checking out, I was on a 2 pm flt, my partner on a 6pm one, so I asked for a late check-out (no problems there). The only problem was that once they did this, the internet was cancelled and despite renewing the service earlier that day for their daily flat charge, we needed to do it again.

In summary, this is a hotel with lots of potential, but lacking in service ethos. The dining room is a joke and they need to re-visit this from scratch.

I would not stay here again. There is no way my Co. will be sending $70K here again, there are other hotels in NYC that would like our custom I’m sure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank howard_and_bec
Melissa B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and comments like yours help us pinpoint service areas where we can improve. We have added two Rooms Controllers that will help improve the check-in experience and overall lobby flow. We have also implemented new procedures in housekeeping to address the issues you shared.

As part of our $75 million renovation, Leona's -- where breakfast is currently served -- will be closing at the end of this month and we have just opened our brand new restaurant, THE LCL: Bar & Kitchen. In addition to offering a completely different and much more expansive dining concept, THE LCL also brings a new service culture to our food and beverage program. All associates and managers at THE LCL have undergone extensive training to exceed guest expectations. We've received some great feedback since the restaurant opened two weeks ago.

We sincerely hope to see you again during your next visit to New York City.

Kind Regards,