“Stayed twice here - both booked through Hotwire”

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #227 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Have stayed twice at the Westin Grand Central - this used to be the New York Helmsley Hotel in Midtown East. The first time I stayed here, it was just at the beginning of the renovation and I had some issues checking in and with room, but those were related to the conversion. The second time, I stayed in August 2012 - I was there the day they re-launched the Westin. Pros: Great Westin rooms, Heavenly Bed, good amenities and service. Cons: no restaurant and bar when I stayed there (check with the Hotel), and the location is a little boring if you're looking for NYC excitement. All-in-all, decent hotel if it's the right area, and has all the Westin/SPG perks.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,663)

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed here for an anniversary weekend with my husband. This used to be the Helmsley Hotel and the location is great - 3rd Ave and 42nd - close to subway, easy walk to all the action in midtown. We asked for an upgrade (we're Gold Starwood members) and first the guy said he had nothing and then he said he had a nice room for us - the room was fine, perhaps a little larger than the usual NYC hotel rooms - it was a corner room so had a short hallway and a seating area. The bathroom was standard Westin quality with a walk in shower - but why does the tap have to be so far away that you get wet when you turn on the shower? As usual the bed was very comfy and the sheets of good quality. Our sheets were changed every day - something that does not seem to happen automatically any more. My pet peeve with ever Starwood I have stayed at in NYC is that there is often something missing after the room is cleaned - this time it was a bath mat one day. The staff must be under great pressure to get rooms done and they seem not to check when things are missing - or just don't go back to replace something.
That said, the hotel was recently redone so it is clean and shiny. The lobby does get very busy at times and it is quite small. I usually stay at the W on Lexington Ave and this is a very good alternative - I'd probably stay here in future rather than at the W which is getting old and tired. The gym here is also way better - large, clean with new machines.

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

The Westin Grand Central has potential, you can see they are trying (some of them) to make it better but it's not there yet.

The location is superb, rooms are nice and relatively quiet. The service is so not top SPG: it seems they don't talk to each other, there must be resentment amongst the staff or maybe just disorganization.
Room ready way after 3.00 pm, late check out scheduled three times because apparently the first two were not recorded properly, SPG check in desk with a 'I wish I was not here' attitude. Yes, small things in the grand scheme but enough to make you tip-toe around the staff.

I am a Gold SPG member: the Westin in Times Square staff & service has what the Grand Central does not.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This hotel was the Helmsley, and became a Weston on or around October 1, 2012. It's not huge, about 240 rooms, and our room was a very comfortable size, extremely well equipped, and met all expectations of a four star hotel. We were on the fourteenth floor, and it was quiet and we slept well.

The location at first sight seems a bit "east" of most the main parts of the city. Once you get a hang of the fact that the Grand Central subway station is just a few hundred yards away, that you can bus or subway up or down Lexington - etc. you are no more than twenty minutes away from either the upper West Side, Downtown, Greenwich Village, and other major sectors.

You have to try the food court at Grand Central Station for gourmet dining on the trot and at great values - you name it, and it's available! The star of the dining is of course the Grand Central Oyster Bar - an institution that serves around 40 varieties of oysters, as well as many fresh fish items - not cheap but good value, about $30 a head excluding alcohol.

Room Tip: Try and ask for a room above the tenth floor and you won't have any trouble sleeping.
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed for a night in December 2012. Excellent renovation. All the comforts you expect from Westin - perfect bed (firm mattress with generous feather top), comfy linens, rain water shower, comfortable sitting area, great lighting. Housekeeping was spotless,robes, in-room coffee, in-room safe, huge flat-screen TV. It was also a great value - the room is massive compared to other mid-town hotels in this price range and above that I've stayed at. If you're looking for quiet, ask for a room on a high floor in the back - I would rather deal with 41st Street than the noise from the buses on 42nd Street.

While the building is up to Westin standards already, I can't say the same for the staff. We generally found them to be indifferent at best. I was particularly amazed by a member of the front desk staff who was outright rude until she saw that I was a Platinum SPG member and made a complete 180 to being syrupy sweet.

FYI - There is no Club Lounge and the lobby isn't much of anything. There are maybe 3-4 benches. We saw people camped out on the floor because there was no place left to sit.

Have a great stay in NYC!

Room Tip: f you're looking for quiet, ask for a room on a high floor in the back
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Nice and clean rooms, modern hotel, centrally located, fair price value. - The bar is open till 4am, and even though food is not served after 10pm (why actually?), room service is available 24h. / Staff responds to complaints - What's missing? An executive lounge, where regular guests can print out a document without swiping a credit card in the outsourced internet corner...

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on a Saturday night and made advance reservations. I arrived at 5:00pm to find the lobby was full of people; I assumed it was a convention going on at the hotel. When I tried to check in, they told me that my room wasn't ready yet, even though check in was 3:00pm. I realized the entire lobby was people waiting for their rooms. I finally got into my room at 8:00pm and found it was dirty. Someone I rode the elevator down with said her tv was still on, and there were half filled drinks in her room when she first walked in. They told me I'd receive a complimentary breakfast for my kids and I for the inconvenience. So we ate breakfast. Now, I've returned home, and found they charged me for the breakfast. I've called accounting, and they won't return my calls. I could call it worse, but giving every benefit of the doubt, this is still very poor service.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business