“Try somewhere else”

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #229 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I travel a lot and stay at a lot of hotels. I recently stayed at the Westin in Melbourne, Australia, and was so impressed that when I had a choice of hotels in New York I naturally choose the Westin. I believe there are two primary aspects that define a hotel experience. The first is the comfort of the room and the second, the service.

This hotel has only just re-opened and so the rooms are nice and fresh, tastefully decorated and quite cosy. The bed is comfortable, the curtains block-out, the aircon works well and the bathroom is a reasonable size. I never like showers over the bath and I like them even less when the drainage does not work effectively. I mean seriously in a newly renovated hotel I do not expect to end my shower standing in 2 inches of water. Other than the shower, which was a big disappointment, the room is comfortable.

The service however was the most disappoint aspect of this hotel. There are lot's of staff but they all seem to be busy with something other than their customers. There was more than one occasion I sought out assistance only to be handed off to someone else that was even less interested. I will come to New York again in another month, I will not stay at this hotel.

3  Thank Darren W
Write a ReviewReviews (3,660)

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed at the Westin this week, on 10/3 ... just two days after the change over from Helmsley to Westin. I am very excited to have a new Starwood property in this neighborhood, as it is very convenient to my office, to Grand Central and to many of the major mid-town business restaurants. It will be very convenient.

The hotel is still under a lot of work, so be prepared for noise. The rooms have been updated and were very nice, although a bit small even by New York standards: perfect for business where you won't spend a lot of time in the room, but not really something I would book for a vacation or weekend get-away. I was a little disappointed to hear so much noise from the hallways at night, assuiming that updated noise control would have been a part of the renovation. It was not bad enough that I would not stay here again, but generally have me the feeling that I was not really in a very private location. (I found myself wispering on the phone as I had concern that people in the hallway and the rooms next door could hear every word of my conversation.)

Overall, as a business hotel in this neighborhood, it's a great choice. Much newer than the tired Grand Hyatt and with so much construction, I can only assume that great things are planned for this property. I only hope the build out a nice rooftop bar like the Grand Hyatt has, as their location makes for a perfect place for such a bar. (If they don't however, and you still choose to stay here, be sure to go to the Grand Hyatt rfooftaop bar, it's spectacular.)

Room Tip: Ask for a high-floor corner room, one with a Chrysler building view for the best room in the house.
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed at the new Westin (formerly the Helmsley) for 5 days the end of Sept. We used our Starwood points and got the 5th night free which was a great deal. The location was great. The UN was in session (down the street) so there were police and secret service everywhere. It made it rather interesting. The lobby and entrance were in disarray due to the conversion to the Westin which happened during our stay. The important thing for us is the bed is very comfortable and I that there be a bathtub. The bathtub was small- a shower bathtub combo which you usually don't get in higher end hotels, but it was doable. There is a Starbucks down the street where my husband would go to bring back lattes which was nice. We love to walk everywhere so walking a few blocks to Grand Central was not a problem. We did not see the gym nor did we need any service, so I cant speak to those issues.

We thought the new Westin was perfect for our needs and we will stay there again our next trip to NY.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Westin just remodeled this old Helmsley hotel so everything is fresh and it all works...but there's nothing special about it. Ear-splitting techo-pop greets you in the bland beige lobby upon check-in - maybe the Westin wants to be a hip, groovy W? The rooms are contemporary, neutral and masculine with the usual great beds and nice showers, although my husband commented that someone who doesn't shave must have designed the bathroom lighting. Wi-fi is $14.99/day. They do have coffeemakers. The mini-bar has a scolding message on top that if you open it to store your own food in the fridge, you'll be charged. Plastic cups and lack of newspapers are a turn-off in something at this price point, as is the location. "Grand Central" is a misnomer. The station is a hike across three long blocks and there's nothing much in the neighborhood unless you're doing business at Pfizer across the street. At least there's a nice coffee/breakfast takeaway place next door. We ended up taking a lot of taxis because the subway was such a hassle (and at other hotels, I like taking the subway). As of October 4th there was no restaurant or bar - this wouldn't be a problem but this is a neighborhood devoid of bars and eateries unless you hike down to Grand Central Station. The facade is also still under construction. I'm a Platinum Starwood Preferred Guest but do prefer Kimptons now because of the free wi-fi, rooms with personality and style, newspapers, free morning coffee and afternoon wine. Why do cheap places such as Comfort Suites give free breakfast, wi-fi, fridges and coffeemakers while the "five-stars" fail to meet their customer's needs? Go figure....

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cawater
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The hotel's public spaces are still under significant construction. No open restaurant, no open bar, no hotel shop. Lot's of fencing and construction workers. Staff at check-in did not acknowledge the incomplete condition of the hotel.

The rooms have been upgraded to Westin standards; however, from the hotel front up to room door, there's not much to enjoy and the staff isn't making it better. I am a frequent SPG guest and I would pass on this property.

1  Thank Ron M
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Just as the old Helmsley re-opened as a Westin, after renovation and re-branding, I have just stayed four nights, and will not do so again any time soon. The physical work is not yet completed, but the many short-comings are those of attitude and scope of service, which are not likely to be solved.
For starters, the "Grand Central" designation is a stretch, as is the haul with luggage the three long cross-town blocks from the address, between Second and Third Avenues.
Staff help was decent, including a very helpful concierge who arranged for some document printing.
But the overall attitude is cheap and cheesy -- including plastic cups in the bathroom, a pile of USA Today by the elevators instead of Times or Wall Street at the door, no service guide in the room, a key card dysfunction that forced me back down to the desk for a re-load, and one day when my room was not serviced at all.
Worse, from the perspective of a business traveler, is the annoying approach that everything is charged extra: $21 for a "continental breakfast," when there are numerous Starbucks just around each corner; a "business center" that charges by the hour for computer access; $ 14.95 per day for WiFi; and a truly obnoxious mini-bar that would bill electronically if anything was even moved.
In short, human touch has been sacrificed for a nickel-and-dime attitude.
The old joke about New York is that it would be a great city, "if they ever finish it." As for the Westin Grand Central, even if it gets finished, it will be far less than great.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the corner rooms, and get as high a floor as possible.
2  Thank Jim P
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I'm a big SPG fan and usually stay at the W Union Square when I come to NY. I stayed at the Westin to try it out as it's literally next door to my company's NY HQ. Unfortunately, it still needs a lot of work. While the staff was helpful and the rooms were comfortable enough, the adjacent plumbing sounds from showers and toilets flushing was unbearable. At midnight I was still dealing with a ton of ambient noise. Also, as a gold member, the room did not seem like an upgrade and I was told that what i was given was all they had. I know the hotel is still in transition and I will try it again in the hopes of having a better experience, but for now, I'm disappointed.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business