“Fabulous Stay at The Michelangelo”

The Michelangelo Hotel
Ranked #44 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We (3 couples) stayed at The Michelangelo this past weekend. We were in the city for a couples getaway and Broadway shows and opted for this hotel because of its location. Location aside, this hotel was fabulous on all levels.... Rooms were very spacious, concierge service (James) was informative with excellent restaurants referred, checkin was flawless, polite, efficient... Walther Acosta and Walter (another similar name) were both wonderful to deal with. The complimentary morning coffee and pastries were a welcome treat. Everything about our stay was great and we can't wait to return.!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank braunwynn
Write a ReviewReviews (3,685)

Reviewed January 19, 2011

We spent four nights at the Michangelo, all of them perfect. From our first encounter with the valet, to the bell cap, to the front desk, to our room, everyone was beyond friendly and helpful. The room was very spacious (the bathroom is a bit tight), well appointed, comfortable, and - another miracle - absolutely QUIET, even though we were facing 51st Street! Each morning we enjoyed our complimentary espresso, cappucino, scones and croissants with the newspapers of our choice. The extremely helpful and pleasant concierge helped us make restaurant reservations. The housekeeping staff went out of their way to organize all of our belongings, and we don't pack light! The location is wonderful in the center of mid-town. We're still wondering if Henry the valet is still standing in 51st Street waving goodbye to us! I'm pretty fussy, and the Michalengelo made me very happy.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travel_Lovers2009
Reviewed January 13, 2011

Thanks to TripAdvisor, I knew to grab a room here when it came up in my options from our corporate travel department. (I chose the Michelangelo over the Parker Meridien, FWIW.) And I was not disappointed. In fact, our company is booking a room block here next year for the event we attended based on our rave reviews!

I'm normally a very frugal traveler, so staying at a place like this was a real treat. The location just cannot be beat, especially those who've come to see the sights. You're right in the middle of everything. Radio City / Rock Center / Central Park / FAO / 5th Ave / Times Square / etc. are a stone's throw away, as are subways to get you (cheaply) wherever you want to go. Also, not sure I've seen this mentioned before, but Le Bernardin is practically across the same street from the hotel, wow! :)

Anyhoo, the front desk staff were courteous, accommodating and helpful at every turn. They answered all of our questions and even printed my coworkers' boarding passes before we left. Special props to Paul Acosta, who was exceptionally welcoming and kind to us upon our arrival.

How nice to get an elevator when you want one and not wait endlessly amid the riffraff like our hapless colleagues over at the Marriott Marquis! And the Michelangelo's rooms are absolutely enormous by NYC standards, lushly appointed and impeccably clean. The soaking tub was an absolute delight --you will be remiss if you don't take a bath in it, it's heavenly -- as is the plush robe hanging tubside for your convenience. The Star Beauty toiletries smelled soooo good too.

The Michelangelo offers turndown service, but since I keep my DND sign firmly anchored to my doorknob wherever I am, I didn't have it. Coworkers did and loved it.

I didn't hear a sound all night -- you could have heard a pin drop throughout the hotel at any time save for breakfast time, when the lobby cafe serviced guests seeking free coffee, tea, scones and other pastries. I'm not sure how they do it, but it literally seems soundproofed to the outside world.

Since we checked in several hours early, we all got rooms that weren't those originally assigned to us, which was obvious, as they were all one atop another and we all overlooked the same ductwork view! But who cares, I lived in NYC for 7 years and all I did was sleep in my room anyway. I'm sure if I'd asked for a view, they'd have given me one.

We didn't eat in the restaurant, so I can't offer any insight, sorry. But we did have lunch at the Heartland Brewery across the street right before we left, and believe me, I snickered at the thought just as you are doing right now. Expectations were LOW. But I had the most amazing organic chicken paillard (it was a lunch special called organic roasted half chicken) and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. It was even better than the same dish at Artisanal, and I thought that couldn't be beat. It also kept me full all day; ate it at 3:00 and didn't eat again until the next day (wow).

I'd recommend the Michelangelo to anyone without hesitation. I'm so thrilled to find a property I can recommend across the board. STAY HERE and thank me later!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank LiteWallet
Reviewed January 7, 2011

Me and my husband decided to go to NY for Christmas and booked a package holiday through Expedia. The Michelangelo Hotel was absolutely fantastic. Clean, massive bed, lovely room...what more can I say! Have stayed in NY before and our room was much bigger than what we have been used to. The hotel was also extremely quiet - nice to come back to after a busy day seeing the sights. Another great thing about the hotel is the location - we literally walked out of the hotel, turned left and there was Times Square. Nearly everything was in walking distance of the hotel which was central to everything. Could not recommend it more highly. I do believe that we got a good deal maybe compared to what other people paid? We were worried about being stuck in NY due to the snow and when my husband enquired about staying another night if need be, the hotel agreed to do as a 'special favour' which meant $300 a night!!! We did not pay nearly this much for the holiday so if you are planning to book, shop around! Overall fantastic place and fantasic time.

1  Thank helliams
Reviewed January 7, 2011

we stayed in the michelangelo hotel the 2nd week of dec for 7 days it was perfect !! we originally had booked into another hotel for our stay of 9 nights but when we arrived we hated it and moved straight across the road to another hotel that we had stayed at before but they could only accomodate us for 5 nights unless they had a cancellation, so next morning we went out and found the michelangelo and we liked it so we booked to stay from the next day as we had to give a nights notice at the hotel we were staying , we went to the michelangelo and every thing was perfect , we had a junior suite and it was lovely , roomsevice and housekeeping and all staff and management were brilliant , nothing was too much trouble for any of them , i would definantly recommend this hotel to anyone if they are visiting new york ,we will def go back , the management and staff are all a wonderful credit to the hotel !!!!

1  Thank trishdaynes
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Our first visit to New York and it seems that we got the hotel right. Arrived in the early hours with no luggage as our French airline managed to lose the whole flights cases, but the hotel were able to supply us with any toiletries that we asked for and were also able to point us in the right direction to buy some emergency clothes and supplies etc .Room was spotlessly clean each day, the bed was very comfortable and the staff were excellent. We are already planning to return to the same hotel this summer!!

1  Thank gbmb186334
Reviewed January 3, 2011

A very warm and friendly hotel in a Great location. Lovely lobby and very nice guest rooms. The staff was very friendly and helpful. One of my favorite stays in NYC. Would stay here again but next time I would make certain to have an outside room instead of an inside room. My cell phone wouldn't work in the inside room. Other than that the stay was great.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business