“Magnificent Michelangelo”

Ranked #38 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Dallas, Texas
“Magnificent Michelangelo”
Reviewed November 28, 2005

We stayed for a week on our honeymoon. When I first started searching hotels on tripadvisor, I encountered the M. and thought it was terrific but pricey. But, the more I looked, I kept coming back to this hotel. I think you could pay the same elsewhere and get a lot less. The room is large and elegant (we had an executive king) with marble foyer, sitting area, a huge bath, and even a little library. Soaking in the large bath is a treat after walking all over NYC. And the bed was terrific, very firm. Each night, after getting exhausted going around NYC, the best part of the day was getting in the bed - like an extra treat after the delights of the city. Evenings, there was a piano/bass duo in the lobby which was nice. The location was terrific too, so many things nearby (Rock Center, Cadillac Winter Garden Theater, Carnegie Hall, Times Square). And, we got TWO chocolates each night altho frankly I thought we might rate an extra one or two since we left $$ morning and night for the maids...oh well. I think we paid 325/395 for the various nights which is definitely up there in my book (honeymoon=splurge) but again, considering the time of year, I think it was a relative value for that class of hotel. There is no coffeemaker in the room but they serve complimentary coffee & pastries in the lobby each morning (although they won't let you take them up to the room).

11 Thank LarryD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
san juan puerto rico
Reviewed November 27, 2005

I am a frequent visitor to NYC and had stayed at various hotels in this category. The Michelangelo is a great hotel indeed, has an unbeatable location, quiet, and well furnished. The rooms are large and the bathrooms as well. The only thing I cant stand here is the air conditioning system they have. Its sort of "thermostat regulated" and will keep turning on as temp lows and off as temp goes up. This seems silly but try to sleep while the AC comes on and off every 15 minutes and your night sleep will be brutally disturbed, and I am a good sleeper myself but this made the nights horrible and I ended up turning AC off completely so that I could catch a sleep! The sound of the motor on and off is an annoyance that will make think twice next time and book somewhere else. Apart from this i would had highly reccomended this hotel.

12 Thank GerardoGlori
Sydney
Reviewed November 25, 2005

I booked the Michelangelo on the basis of previous reviews on this site (and others), and because of its location. We have stayed in a few Manhattan hotels over the years, and we're still looking for a "regular". Unfortunately, the Michelangelo will not receive a second visit from us.
I booked an "Executive King" over the internet 4 months in advance. On arrival we were shown to a room with a double. Exhausted from the 24-hour journey to NY, we simply didn't have the energy to protest at that moment, and decided to put up with it for one night and raise the matter the next day. When I told the reception desk of our problem I received a brusque reply: "You should have told us earlier - now we're sold out!". I responded by asking if we should be paying a different tariff in that case. "Wait a moment", came the reply. A couple of minutes later we were told: "We will move you now - go to your room to pack and call us when you are ready to move." No apology, no offer of compensation for the previous night in the wrong room - only an impression we had created a nuisance. To the management's credit, after we returned home I e-mailed the hotel, and received an apology from the manager, as well as a credit for the difference in the rate of the room we had occupied and the rate we had paid for that first night.
Apart from that incident, everything else mentioned in this hotel's reviews is true: great location, spacious rooms, nice furnishings, and so on. The only other sour note is the morning coffee, which is very weak. The cappuccino barely tasted of coffee at all: we were fairly sure they don't use fresh grounds nearly as often as they should. We were also perplexed as to why, each evening, only one chocolate was left for the two of us next to the bed! (What were they trying to tell us?!)
In the end, I'd have to agree with the September review which suggested that "something is missing". We won't be returning.
Indeed, the following weekend we stayed at The Library Hotel which, although our room was far smaller, provided a significantly better experience for somewhat less money.

16 Thank AntonyG
Reviewed November 24, 2005

I booked into this hotel for my boyfriends 40th birthday surprise weekend and we thought it was fantastic. I was influenced by all of the good reviews on this site and I also got a very good deal booking 10 months early on expedia. The rooms were large and the bed was large and comfortable, we slept very well and even the air con blowing intermittently didn't bother us. The turn down service with chocolates and weather forecast were a nice touch. I also booked the complimentary limo service for the Friday (the actual birthday) and we had a wonderful driver who took us on a tour of the neighbourhoods before dropping us at Wall Street, which was very handy for the trip out to Ellis Island, Ground Zero etc.
I would definitely stay here again and after leaving New York engaged the city and the hotel are pretty special to us!

2 Thank Blooming
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 19, 2005

I booked this hotel based on other reviews on this site for an anniversary trip with my wife. My expectations were very high, but the hotel met them all. The room was nicely appointed and spacious and the bathroom was luxurious. For the money, there is no better deal in NYC.

The location is excellent. The front desk staff and concierge were helpful and courteous (but not the most outgoing).

Overall, I was very, very pleased and have recommended this hotel to other travellers already. If you are going to NYC, stay at this hotel. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 18, 2005

It was our first visit to New York, and we certainly chose the best hotel ! We were greeted very warmly by the staff of the Michelangelo Hotel. We were upgraded to a lovely suite. We certainly felt at home. The extra touches such as the evening turn down service and the chocolates beside the bed along with the forecast of the next day's weather made us feel special. We loved New York City and we definitely will stay at The Michelangelo again.

• Stayed September 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed October 12, 2005

On the basis of previous reviews I chose the Michelangelo for a friend and I to stay in on our first ever trip to NY. I was thrilled with our choice. The staff were all polite, chatty and very helpful, we had booked a studio room and each had our own king size bed. The room was huge comparative to what you would get for your money in the UK. the location is ideal central without being slap bang in the middle of times sqaure, close enough to walk to shops bars central park etc. my only critism is that they do not have tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms if like me you are one of those people who has to have coffee to get you going in the morning it does mean traipsing downstairs for the complimentary breakfast, the problem is that aswell as coffee there are very tempting pastries on offer.....oh well when on holiday...Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed October 2005