“Midtown Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #37 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cleveland, Ohio
“Midtown Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Wonderful, small, European style mid town hotel. Small in size with a very friendly and professional staff. This was our second stay, after a wonderful experience the first time. The location is extremely convenient and really near everything--you can walk almost everywhere. The room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom and shower were elegant and worked perfectly. The hotel is extremely quiet, which is a nice treat when you stay in busy NYC. We will definitely stay at the Michelangelo on our next trip to NYC---without a doubt!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Debby H
Katherine S, Manager at The Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you Debby for the great review! Please come back soon!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I arrived at The Michelangelo at night.The traffic getting into the city was terrible, and the calm, quiet lobby was welcoming. The room was nice, fairly big by NY standards, quiet with a comfortable bed. It was quite warm in NY and the A/C worked well and was easy to regulate. The shower was also nice as were the towels.

On the more negative side, my room faced the wall of another building, which was fine at night but during the day the lack of natural night made the room a bit claustrophobic. Also, I got very poor cell phone reception in the room. Wifi was $15 a day. The electrical outlets in the room are terribly situated. Definitely not located for the modern world -- you could not charge your phone and keep it bedside at the same time. I've seen older hotels solve this issue by providing night tables with outlets in the table.

Also the safe was on the top shelf of the closet -- very difficult to reach and impossible to see into. Before I checked out, I had to pull the desk chair over to stand on in order to look into the safe and make sure I wasn't leaving anything behind.

My last comment -- one I make often about hotels -- is about the comforter on most hotel beds now. Way too hot for warm weather!! I asked the housekeeper to swap it out for a lightweight (and season appropriate) blanket.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JC2
Thank you for the review and for taking the time to share your feedback. We would love for you to come back to the hotel for another stay so that we can prove to you that the Michelangelo Hotel is the best hotel in New York! Please feel free to reach out directly by phone or by email at reservations@michelangelohotel.com
Coral Gables, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I have stayed at the Michelangelo several times and I just love it! The rooms are clean, spacious and luxurious, and the beds and linens are very comfortable. The service is wonderful, and the location is very central. Last time I stayed at The Michelangelo, I got a free upgraded room and it was such a nice treat. I definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the review and your loyalty. We appreciate the time you took to write a review and share your experiences with everyone. We cant wait to see you again soon!
Holland, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights here on a visit to the city. All the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our arrival was 3 hours early but they had our room ready per request. The lobby is very inviting and we spent time there just relaxing after outings. There was not much of a view per say but our room was an interior one so there was no street noise. Bed was very comfortable and the room was nice sized considering the limited space you expect to find in New York. Close to Time Square and many other site seeing attractions. And subway access across the street.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the review Belinda! Looking forward to seeing you again soon!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I have been staying at the Michelangelo for years and it is my hotel of choice for business and pleasure, The rooms are private, comfortable, quiet and elegant. The most appealing aspect of my stays are the staff from the Bell captain to the Front desk (Walter and Joseph) to consierge (James) to room service - just everyone. On this last trip, I was presented with a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates in celebration of my "39th" birthday. Excellent for business and superior for my personal stays. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jhza
Thank you for your continued support and for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the time you took to write your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!!
tina49
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I was going to New York to attend the Eric Clapton Crossroads Festival and hadn't been to New York in 35 years. I also own a restaurant in California, and planned on studying restaurants.
I had several reservations at 60 Thomson, Thompson LES, Dream, Gansevoort Park NYC, Ganesvoort Meatpacking, etc. in different areas and was very confused as to which hotel & area would be best. I did the Street view on Google Maps, and felt the Michelangelo was in a great area, with a warm feel to it.

I was so bothered about which would be best, I'd get home from my restaurant about 2:00 AM LA Time/5:00 AM NYC Time, and called The Michelangelo two different times, a week apart, and spoke to Chris and Joseph at the front desk. Well, for anyone to be that friendly at that time, as I'm asking a million questions, alone is noteworthy.
Well, Joseph, calmed my nerves, understood my frustration, and, I choose that minute, and was so relieved to cancel all other reservations.
He even surprised me with an Upgrade to a Junior Suite, that was Gorgeous!!!!

The Hotel was exactly what I was looking for on my trip, and exceeded all expectations!!!
The front desk staff,Joseph, Chris, Norma, June, Asha, Walter & James the Concierge, were incredibly friendly, and helpful.
I was having such a great trip, I wanted to extend my stay, and the Manager Mr. Pietro Romani, accommodated me immediately, and even let me stay in my room, and I'm pretty sure, the hotel was fully booked!!

The area was the best, central to everything, close to Times Square, Central Park, and incredible shopping and restaurants, all within walking distance

I've stayed at some of the best hotels in the world, and have never taken the time to write a review, but felt I had to write about The Michelangelo. This hotel will make you feel very special with it's awesome staff & lovely ambiance!!!

New York is such a big city, with so many areas, it can be confusing & overwhelming, in my opinion, this is THE ONLY Hotel to stay at in NYC!!!

A Big Thank You to everyone at The Michelangelo Hotel!!

Room Tip: There's a Great Diner, that delivers to the Hotel very late at night called Cosmic Diner, it has...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank tina49
A Big thank you to you for choosing us and writing such a nice review!! Please come back and stay with us again soon!
Janesville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have stayed at The Michelangelo many times over the past few years, and every time I stay here, I find a new reason to make me want to keep on coming back.

I have read in other reviews that certain people find the staff to be cold, distant, or rude. That could not be further from the truth in my many experiences. Everyone who works here has been very knowledgeable, friendly, and refer to me by name. On this particular stay, I was given a very warm and friendly greeting as I walked to the front desk. They welcomed me back, and even upgraded me to an absolutely beautiful full sized suite. And even though the room was not quite ready when I checked in, they made the process very easy. There was no hassles whatsoever when it came to storing my luggage, or getting it back when the room was ready. Plus, the front desk staff did a wonderful job of keeping me updated on my room.

I even received a special surprise in my room later that same day. When I returned to the hotel after seeing a Broadway performance that night, I walked into my bedroom, and found a personalized note from The Michelangelo's General Manager, welcoming me back, accompanied by a beautiful gift box of Godiva chocolates. To this day, I have no idea what this was for. I went to the front desk and asked for the General Manager a couple times during my stay, so I could personally thank them, but unfortunately, they were always at a meeting, or not in their office. I did leave a message for the Manager, and I hope they got it, and know how much it was appreciated.

As always, The Michelangelo is impeccable. My suite was beautiful and very clean. The quiet, intimate room is always a welcome sight after spending a day in the city. The location is centralized, without being right in the middle of the chaos of Times Square. Most of all, the staff is first rate in almost every department I've dealt with. From the Concierge right down to the bartender, everyone has been open and friendly with me on each visit.

I know that I have written about this hotel many times, but that's only because each time I stay, there's something new I want to complement or thank the staff for. Thank you, staff of The Michelangelo, for another fantastic stay. I will see you all again in December!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Keiichi73
Thank you so much for the great review and your continued support! We always love it when you visit us!