“Michelangelo - Beautiful Hotel and INCREDIBLE STAFF!!”

The Michelangelo Hotel
Ranked #38 of 468 Hotels in New York City
New York
“Michelangelo - Beautiful Hotel and INCREDIBLE STAFF!!”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

With Hurricane Sandy, obliterating lower Manhattan and the surrounding areas, I was displaced and had nowhere to stay. Despite the overwhelming demand for hotels, the staff at the Michelangelo was well-organized, sensitive and extremely accomodative in helping me organize a stay. In my business and leisure travels, I have NEVER experienced a staff so helpful and responsive. This all occured with many of the staff members working around the clock to service guests, as many people were unable to make it onto Manhattan. When I needed to extend my stay, despite being significantly overbooked, the staff rearranged their own accomodations to help me, and locked in my rate. In addition to the great service, for New York, the hotel is as good as it gets. The rooms are very large, modern and well-furnished. The rooms are quiet For tourists, or business travelers, the location to Broadway and the banks is Midtown is perfect. Thank you to Walter, Chris and the rest of the staff at the hotel who made my stay comfortable and excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Rob S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Had a great stay at The Michelangelo. I was hesitant at first to splurge and spend a little more to stay at this hotel. My husband and I were not disappointed. It was well worth the splurge. The room and bathroom were a nice size. The best part of the room was that it was spotless! The pillows were fantastic! It may sound strange to mention this but truly they were exceptional. The first night we were there an eight piece box of Godiva chocolates was delivered to our room with a note from the manager welcoming us.
Room service was great. My husband ordered breakfast one morning. It was delivered promptly, his substitution request was honored at no additional charge, the orange juice was fresh squeezed and a ramekin of fresh fruit, not mentioned as part of the meal, was included.
The bell hop and door men, particularly Clyne, were wonderful. Even when it was raining hard Clyne went down the street and got a Taxi for us with no hesitation. He always had a smile for us.
We appreciated the hotel even more when we saw two of the other hotels in the area that we had considered. They were crowded, loud, and we didn't see what we consider happy/pleasant employees.
On check out our bill was presented to us and it was spot on accurate. No hidden charges.
One area we feel that needs improvement is internet service. It is basically non-existent even when paid for. They offer free connection in the lobby but it is spotty. We then payed for internet service to use in our room. It was no better than the connection in the lobby. It didn't really bother us as we were on vacation, however if we were on a business trip, we would probably have been very frustrated.
The Michelangelo is intimate, clean, quiet, and pleasant. We would not hesitate to stay again or recommend to our friends and family.

Room Tip: If I remember correctly our room was 334, it faced 51st. Although it faced the street it was quiet a...
Centereach, New York
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed for just one night and will be back again. Rooms are much larger than most NYC hotel rooms. Very clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We booked the "executive room" and when we checked in, they upgraded us to the "studio" Great location for theaters.

Room Tip: Just book the least expensive room and you will be happy and possibly get an upgrade.
Paget Parish, Bermuda
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I booked this hotel through Amex points. Amex classifies this hotel as a 5 star hotel. I expected 5 start service but did not get it.
Pros - good location, huge rooms and big bathroom compared to most NY hotels. Also a good size tub. Charming hotel, very traditional decor, clean, coffee/tea/pastries free in the mornings.
Cons - No exceptional service - As a former 5 star hotel employee I always expect amazing service from a five star hotel and did not feel we got it. Staff were okay, courteous but not exceptional. I had mentioned it was our anniversary trip and it no one seemed to care. There was no concierge on Sunday. Our room was very dark, we had no views, TV is very small. I didn't ask to switch rooms as I knew we were spending most of our days out but still: why do hotels give the worst rooms to people who book using points?
Bottom line - I won't stay there again mainly because I won't pay $500 + for their rooms, I rather spend less and stay at a modern hotel with a smaller room as I usually don't spend that much time in the room when I'm in NY. But if you plan to spend a lot of time in your room then you may want to stay there.

Room Tip: make sure you ask for a view so you don't stay in the dark rooms.
2 Thank pinksailor
Ridgefield, Connecticut
Reviewed October 22, 2012

good value for a 5 star hotel booked last minute, very nice size room, attentive staff, bellman/valet parking, prime location, wished we had more time to spend in the room, will definitely stay again, easy access by car

Nigeria
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed at the Michaelangelo for 5 nights with a friend. My experience can best be described as "okay." There's nothing wrong with the hotel. It's kind of a heavy, baroque, velvet, old-fashioned style which isn't my first choice, but there's nothing wrong with it. Even though it feels "old," there isn't that old, mouldy feel that afflicts so many old hotels. The staff at the reception were competent, not particularly friendly or knowledgeable, but not at all unhelpful or unfriendly. They seemed very aware of what I imagine they feel is the "status" of their hotel. The concierge staff and doorman, when they were present, were much friendlier.

The location of the hotel is really great. You're right in the middle of everything without the lights, noise and party happening right in your hotel room. It's near enough the business and fun districts on a quiet stretch of W51st street. Even late at night, I never felt at all unsafe walking back to the hotel alone and of course, there are an infinite amount of shopping and dining options within easy walking distance. It's right in the theatre district, right opposite Mamma Mia and several other Broadway shows.

As for the room itself, it's very velvet and rococo. We had the Executive King Room which is a pretty good size. There isn't a lot of closet space but that's fine. There's room service available for breakfast only which is a little pricy, tasting pretty average considering you can probably do better in any of the eateries available around. The bar offers snack-type meals at lunch if you want a quick bite before you step out. The tv is a little old-school with poor image/sound on many channels. Like with most hotels of this class, the internet isn't free or even cheap, nor is it particularly excellent, but it works at least. The hallways can be a little maze-like, winding and long, so it took a couple of days to find our way around our floor. The views aren't great.

All in all, it's a good place to stay for a week in New York. Centrally-located, clean, professional-staff, it's nice enough. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it; I've just had better experiences recently that's all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank La_Jites
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed October 16, 2012

With NYC real estate at a premium, unless you want to spend $1,000 a night on a hotel room, there are not many options. Located in the very busy theatre district and extremely close to Times Square, it is a quiet oasis from the city. The lobby is beautifully decorated, eclectic, full of comfy couches and great wine by the glass. The elevators are fast. Never had to wait more than 15 seconds. Our King Suite was clean, modern yet very comfortable. A nice bed, TV, comfy couch to prop up and read the city magazines, a bar area, great for jumping on the laptop, and a decent sized bathroom. There is good soundproofing, as once in our room, we didn't hear a thing. Highly recommend over any of those Times Square chains.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are higher than I believe eight stories. We had a view of the busy streets below a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business