“A perfect place after a Doubletree $700.00 two double bed scam!”

The Michelangelo Hotel
Ranked #43 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We originally prepaid a Double superior suite at the Doubletree suites by Hilton on Times Square at a cost of &700.00. After walking into the suite and finding two double beds with a very small adjoining room we asked for a refund as every other hotel in N.Y. Could provide this at half the cost. This was a complete ripoff. We asked for a refund and were told that we could not be refunded our money because we prepaid for the room. We did this using the Doubletree website! We told the Hilton to stick there room where the sun does not shine and called our credit card company and were refunded in full. I booked the Michelangelo four blocks up broadway, we were given two beautiful rooms with spacious adjoining rooms. Marble everywhere in this hotel. The rooms looked like they were just recondition as everything was perfect. When we entered the hotel and spoke to Asha at reception we were treated like royalty. Asha made every part of our stay at the Michelangelo wonderful as did all the staff. This hotel is the gem of N.Y. I will never stay any other place while visiting New York City. Thank you so much Asha for making our anniversary special after a Doubletree ripoff!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank KnEsGREATADVENTURES
Write a ReviewReviews (3,770)

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Great beds and quiet but short walk to the things we like. Have stayed there before and liked it but they have done some remodeling and everything was excellent. My daughter stayed with us and we had 2 King beds in the room and were very comfortable. We will be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mark M
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We researched TripAdvisor to find a hotel for our family trip, two parents and two teens, near the Theatre District and Central Park. The Michelangelo exceeded our expectations. It’s in a great location just north of Times Square, adjacent to the Theatre District, and a couple of blocks to the subway.

The double double room (607) seemed more like a small apartment than a hotel room. It was large and L-shaped, decorated tastefully in taupe and black with cove molding at the ceiling. There was a small foyer with a closet and dressers, and a door to the two-room bath. The bath had a wide sink area (with a second TV!) separated from the shower and toilet/bidet, making it efficient for two people to get ready at the same time. The bathroom with floor-to-ceiling marble tile was very clean and perfectly maintained. The shower had two heads, rain and massage, which felt great after walking all day.

The corner of the main room had a velvet loveseat and chair, and a large trunk for a coffee table, giving us plenty of room to stretch out and relax. The bedroom had two full-size beds, which seemed narrower than normal. One of our kids slept on the loveseat. The bedding was luxurious, and we slept well. A large armoire housed the TV with dresser underneath. There was floor space for our suitcases and plenty of outlets to charge all of our devices. The AC worked well on that sweltering August day, and it was easy to control from the thermostat in the room.

The large corner room seemed even more spacious since there were windows on two sides, allowing us to look out both across and down 7th Avenue toward Times Square. There were bright blinking lights outside the windows, but the room darkener drapes blocked the light out completely. The double pane window glass also blocked the noise. There was great people watching looking down to street level. There is a bar and restaurant, which we didn’t try, to the side of the opulent two-story lobby. On check-in and check-out we left our bags with the bell station, which was very efficient.

When we arrived at our next destination, I discovered that I had left some clothing in the closet. I contacted the hotel by e-mail and got three follow-up messages or calls. A few days later, my clothes arrived at my home, followed by a credit card charge for shipping of $30 which I expected but was not explicitly told about.

I highly recommend the Michelangelo and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor corner room for an open feeling and great views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was a perfect location for us to take advantage of everything we wanted to do on our first trip to New York City. The rooms are quiet and spacious. We were lucky enough to be able to take advantage of a promotion and got a junior suite room for the price of a king. The amount of space was incredible and the furnishings were beautiful. All staff were gracious and responsive. The two things that would make me give this hotel a 5 are a better television (it was archaic!) and a coffee maker in the room. Everything else was perfect and I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea B
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The staff was always attentive and helpful. I loved the "turn down service", I could get used to living like this! Great location for walking tourists yet it was always quiet. The complimentary breakfast was quite sufficient unless you need meat and eggs for breakfast. The bed was very comfortable and our room had a comfortable sitting area. The Lobby of the Majestic is designed to look like a jewelry box and it really does. Beautiful but not snobby.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Nice midtown location on the corner of 51st and 7th. The rooms were clean, roomy and quiet. We had a room facing 51st and didn't hear a noise during our 3 day stay. Wather (I think that's the spelling) at the front desk was a great help answering questions on the area and transportation. The doorman and bellhops were very friendly and always willing to help and way they could.

Room Tip: To save the in room internet fee become an IPrefer member and you get the service free.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Newman1
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I used the TripAdvisor to make my decision to stay at the Michelangelo. I mainly made my decision based off of the rating that it is #22 out of 431 rooms reviewed in New York. It was everthing I expected and more. The room was wonderful. I stayed in a Jr. King Suite which was beautiful and very large! The location of the hotel is the best. I walked to everywhere that I went. The only cab that I took was to meet a tour bus at 6:30am and did not want to walk in the dark and rain. My best word to describe my stay is "grand". I had a great time.

Room Tip: My room was a corner room which may be why it was so large.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo