We booked 7 nights at this hotel after reading all of great reviews on trip advisor and paid just over $2700.00. On arriving at the hotel just before 3pm we were greeted at reception and we were advised that we might like to consider a suite since we were staying 6 nights however this would be at an additional cost of $100.00 per night and so we declined, we were then told that an internally facing room was available immediately but that if we wanted to wait half an hour we could have a room with an external view, we said that we would wait. An hour and twenty minutes later and after being told several times that we would only be waiting another 10 minutes, I went back to the reception desk and asked why we had witnessed several other families checking in, all of whom had been given rooms immediately when we were still waiting, a less than friendly and enthusaistic receptionist informed me that we were still waiting because of my specific request to be on the 3rd floor??? I then explained that I had made no such specifications and had simply agreed to wait half an hour for an externally facing room, we were then immediately given a room on the 6th floor and were finally able to get some rest after an 8 hour flight. During the wait we were not offered anything to drink but we were given a buy one get one free wine voucher, we got a very curt apology but it didn't feel genuine at all, overall the impression we got was that we were an irritation to the front desk staff.
Got to the room and it was fine, very good size for New York standards and was clean enough, bathroom was a bit dated but nothing really to complain about. The bed was also very comfortable.
We noticed on an evening that other rooms were being given a turn down service, and other reviewers on trip advisor have confirmed they received this service with chocolate- we didn't receive any turn down service for the duration of our stay, I have no idea why??
If you passed staff members in the corridors such as the maids etc they always greeted you, however reception staff never acknowledged us and sometimes the door man would greet us and other times it was like we were invisable. Overall we found the front of house staff to be uninterested and disengaged, it was very dissapointing.
The biggest positive about this hotel is its location, other reviewers are correct when they say that that it is a quiet escape from the hustle and bustle of the city yet it is right around the corner from Times Square. However there are hundreds of hotels in the area all benefitting from the fact that they too are in a good location, so location is not really a unique selling point of the Michelangelo.
I have read many reviews about how wonderful this hotel is and how other travellers received brilliant service and were made to feel special, unfortunetly I can't say that we experienced this at the Michelangelo. Next time I visit New York I will certainly stay in the same area of Manhatten but not at this hotel, if I am going to spend approx $385 per night for a room and stay 7 nights then I expect a level of service to match the price. My advice... look at what deals are available at other hotels in the area. This hotel did nothing to lure us back and we felt our custom was not appreciated.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Be our guest! You will be honored with all the attention and impeccable service you deserve. Experience a place that captures the imagination and attention of the world. So close to NY's Theatre District, Times Square's entertainment and corporate headquarters, proximity to Rockefeller Center--you are in the perfect corner of the city for all you wish to do. With meeting and personal event facilities, plan a perfect event with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Preferred Hotels, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your The Michelangelo Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Michelangelo Hotel New York City
- Michelangelo Hotel New York City
- Michelangelo New York