Recent reviews suggest this hotel is a love-it or leave-it (e.g. travele5135) experience. Nestled in between large buildings on W 44th, this venerable and not entirely modernised 1818 ex-hostel for gentlemen suffers only from being in NYC. In Paris, there would be queues around the block, and its 'small' rooms regarded there as palatial and iconic remembrances of a golden age. If there were more glimpses of the orginal features it would be a classic, and as revered as other James Renwick designed works such as St Patrick's Cathedral. The marble, wrought iron, and wooden balustrade staircase runs toe to top and replaces the lift for the last hop to the penthouse. Remarkable remaining features include the brass motifs (photo would not upload to my Mac) adorning the 'mail chute' which is possibly all brass but has been overpainted black.
We found this a great place to stay; yes, its a bit noisy, yes, the rooms are small, but if you want a get-away to another era, and a club room that has self-drive good coffee 24/7, and a dark, secluded bar that exudes privacy, (try having that in any other venue on W 44th) then this place is for you.
We found the staff to be very helpful, they changed our room for a slightly bigger one on Day 2; (Room 212 seems to be quite small for most guests); and they were great with advice for travel, restaurants, shops and just general things. The hotel is only 50 yards from 5th, 300 yards from Central Station (check out the Oyster Bar, - 'to die for' crustacean lovers), and 400 yards from Times Square and Broadway - Go for Marriot Marquis rooftop bar with views (not quite as good as they used to be, but unique none the less), over NY, and affordable drinks.
PS We have no conflict of interest in this review and are neither staff nor management
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An architectural and historical landmark, The Mansfield is a portal to a New York City of days gone. Guests of the hotel appreciate its club-like surroundings and superb craftsmanship, as illustrated by the lobby’s detailed illuminated 16-foot ceiling and oval staircases with original terrazzo floors. The Mansfield is located just off of Fifth Avenue at 44th Street, residing within the historic preservation district of Midtown Manhattan, and deep in the heart of the Theater District. The hotel is within a short walk of the finest Fifth Avenue stores, Bryant Park, Times Square, Broadway, Grand Central Station, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden and the Radio City Music Hall. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Mansfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mansfield Hotel New York City
- Mansfield New York City
- Mansfield Hotel New York City