“The great debate”
Review of The Mansfield

The Mansfield
Ranked #349 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Recent reviews suggest this hotel is a love-it or leave-it (e.g. travele5135) experience. Nestled in between large buildings on W 44th, this venerable and not entirely modernised 1818 ex-hostel for gentlemen suffers only from being in NYC. In Paris, there would be queues around the block, and its 'small' rooms regarded there as palatial and iconic remembrances of a golden age. If there were more glimpses of the orginal features it would be a classic, and as revered as other James Renwick designed works such as St Patrick's Cathedral. The marble, wrought iron, and wooden balustrade staircase runs toe to top and replaces the lift for the last hop to the penthouse. Remarkable remaining features include the brass motifs (photo would not upload to my Mac) adorning the 'mail chute' which is possibly all brass but has been overpainted black.
We found this a great place to stay; yes, its a bit noisy, yes, the rooms are small, but if you want a get-away to another era, and a club room that has self-drive good coffee 24/7, and a dark, secluded bar that exudes privacy, (try having that in any other venue on W 44th) then this place is for you.
We found the staff to be very helpful, they changed our room for a slightly bigger one on Day 2; (Room 212 seems to be quite small for most guests); and they were great with advice for travel, restaurants, shops and just general things. The hotel is only 50 yards from 5th, 300 yards from Central Station (check out the Oyster Bar, - 'to die for' crustacean lovers), and 400 yards from Times Square and Broadway - Go for Marriot Marquis rooftop bar with views (not quite as good as they used to be, but unique none the less), over NY, and affordable drinks.
Enjoy,
PS We have no conflict of interest in this review and are neither staff nor management

Room Tip: Just ask; they will respond if they can.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
david_sandler, General Manager at The Mansfield, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Brian J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. I'm happy to hear our location was convenient for you and that you found the atmosphere of our hotel to your liking. Please let us know next time you're in New York if you'd like to come visit us again, and we’ll do our best to always make your stay unique. Feel free to reach out to me directly.

Best,
David Sandler

Write a ReviewReviews (1,864)

Reviewed May 2, 2014

It shocks me that anyone would give this hotel a good review who actually stayed in a room. I am convinced that must be staff and management.

If you want to experience what it is like to live in a tiny, creaky, loud, poorly lit, windowless closet apartment by grand central station, this is the hotel room for you.

They couldn't even fit an ottoman or table in our standard room to set our belongings on. We had a sliver of a window in the corner but it was about 8 inches away from a brick wall, and at no point, morning or evening, did we have even a smidge of natural light, and considering the we only had three small, ultra dim lights in our room, you could hardly see your things. Sitting on the toilet your knees hit the wall, not enough room in the bathroom to dry your hair, and old bathtub shower with a clingy wet curtain and bad water pressure. Room was so small that is started to get hot, but the air conditioner was an old rattly window unit, and when we turned it on it sounded like we had just turned on a generator - and since i was about 2 feet from our heads, that wasn't going to work. And for the record, yes we did ask to change rooms and we did complain. Staff was nice but really wasn't able to help.

I honestly felt like I could have found a better room on a room rental site for about 40 bucks, and it likely would have been quieter. No soundproofing on the doors, so we were woken up three times before 7:45 by room service carts rattling by and slamming around dishes in the tiny, old un-carpeted hallways. Then a noisy, oppressive beeping sound went on from about 7:30 - 8:30. Still don't know what that was.

Location is good only if you really are into times square and pub food.

Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear traveler5135,

Thank you for providing us with feedback on your recent stay. My deepest apologies for your experience during your stay. As a gesture of good faith, I'd like to offer you a complimentary upgrade on your next stay. Please contact my office manager , Crystaline Ramos at 917 639- 1243 or at : cramos@shorehamhotel.com.com to make then necessary arrangements for your next reservation. I truly hope you'll give us another chance.

Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is perfectly placed in the heart of the Manhattan Island, the easiest location for most of the needs or caprices anyone may ever ask. But. Many rooms (we were 3 couples) have an annoying problem of noise, which doesn't come from the street, but from the close building. Un unstoppable fan that will disturb all your nights. The personnel is really kind and available, but very unreliable for the little things that pile up. For instance, do not ask them how to change your currency in dollars nor to book a cab, they will make you pay enormous fees (I discovered) or suggest you to ho get a cab on your own (in Time Square! impossible). Also some of the beds are just floppy. Otherwise the lobby+bar and the cleaning are really good. In short: it is way too expensive for the service they offer, but in the end you compensate thanks to its perfect location.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Francesco V,

Thank you staying with us here at The Mansfield and for providing us feedback following your stay. I do apologize that the front desk was unable to provide you with service experience that we pride ourselves with. I will make sure the Director for Guest services, will embark on an extensive re-training of our team and will also be a extra helping hand behind the desk. I’m very pleased that you loved the location of The Mansfield and the cleanliness of our rooms . It’s definitely one of the major features that makes our hotel so special . We look forward to welcoming you back!!

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Stayed at this property for 6 nights from April 18th-April 24th. My daughter and I travel to NYC about every 6 or 7 months and we always look for 4 star hotels in the vicinity of W. 44th between 5th and 6th avenues. This was the perfect location and in comparison to hotels on the street the most reasonable. I booked online directly with the hotel and checked in to find a clean but very small room. I felt too small for 2 women with alot of luggage. When Jimmy(love him) brought up the bags he saw the look of fright on my face and called down to Chelsea who told him the hotel was completely booked that night but to pack our luggage in the morning and they would transfer us to another room. When we arrived the next afternoon back to the hotel we had been upgraded to a Jr. Suite which was eclectic, clean, and above all spacious. We couldn't have been more thankful. We spent the next 5 nights very happy with everything. I can't thank Chelsea and Debbie enough and especially Andrew and Jimmy who patiently listened to our stories about the city and people we encountered. We enjoyed the free coffees and teas, lemon water, and cookies in the late afternoon. We really enjoyed their room service having the truffled eggs benedict, M Bar -martini's and brushetta and of course the truffled popcorn was a treat. I felt that the staff really cared about our comfort and was actually interested in making sure we indeed had a nice place to come back to after a long day and night. Hopefully we will be able to come back in Dec. for the tree lighting. See you then. Iris and Emily

Room Tip: Unless you are travelling solo-the petite rooms are a little too small
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear IrisKCB,

We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience. The Mansfield is indeed an oasis in the midtown area and we were truly pleased that you found our prime location and luxurious sleep experience to be top notch. I am also very pleased that my staff provided you with exceptional service , I will be sure to share this review with them. Thank you again for taking the time to share this feedback with us!

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Perfect place to stay. 5min walk and you are in the midle of time square. All staff are pleasant and helpfull. Free coffe and fruit in the morning and cookies after 6pm. Room are great. I recomand this hotel to all my friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
david_sandler, General Manager at The Mansfield, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear Jonathan B,

We are pleased that you took the time to leave us such wonderful review. We take into account all comments as it is vidal in helping us better assist our guest. Thank you for your candid feedback. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Great value for money hotel: best price by far in midtown/Time square with absolute 4 star luxury. 5 minutes walking distance from Times Square, Broadway, Rockefeller. Good subway options nearby to get any ware in Manhattan.
Ask for a room in the front of the hotel. Our first night we had a room at the back of the hotel and we had the constant (to loud) sound of the airco's from the building behind us with lots of AC's in the alley. After complaining we got an instant room change and the staff clearly new what I was talking about, not the first time I guess.
Both rooms were large, clean and the beds were large (Queensize is big for Europeans).

Room Tip: Room's on the street side are more quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
david_sandler, General Manager at The Mansfield, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear Paulcup,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable and candid feedback with us. We are truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our location and comfortable beds. I am glad my team was able to give you a positive guest service experience. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in NYC.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

I just spent 2 nights at this hotel...room was as tiny as expected, but not bad. Loved the philosophy bath products, too. The location can't be beat for easy access to east and west sides, uptown or down. The big drawback for was that they are "pet friendly" but apparently don't have designated floors for pets. On my second night a dog, who was clearly locked in the room next to me alone, barked, cried, and scratched at the door till after 2am. When I called down to complain, the response from the person at the desk was "yeah, I can hear it from down here." However, he did not offer to try to do anything to fix the situation. When I complained the next morning they apologized but did not try to compensate me in any way for the fact that I was unable to sleep because of a problem that was within the hotel's control. That was very disappointing.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank jw9691

Dear Jw9691,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at The Mansfield and providing us with feedback following your stay. I'm very pleased that you loved the location. It's definitely one of the major features that make our hotel so special. The tourist attractions, major shops and various subways bring a great finishing touch. I apologize for all of the noise, which caused you not to sleep. I invite you to return to the hotel and have complimentary continental breakfast on me. We look forward to seeing you soon.