“Okay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #328 of 475 Hotels in New York City
Ripon, United Kingdom
“Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 5 nights in January. Location very good. Did not find the receptionist at all helpful at check-in. On checking out we realised this after hearing someone else giving a detailed description of the bar/lounge/food etc at the hotel to another guest checking in! Struggled with the lift (again reception staff didn't help) luckily another guest did! Wasn't overly impressed so wouldn't stay again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
david_sandler, General Manager at The Mansfield, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Amyz1987,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide our hotel with your feedback. I apologize on behalf of the hotel, for not providing you with the experience you had hoped for; please know our team has been notified of your experience and they hope for your return, so that we may make it up to you. If you decide to give us another try, please feel free to contact me and I will make sure your stay will be nothing short of perfect. Thanks you again for your time, and have a great day.

Best,

David Sandler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Pawcatuck, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We too ended up here on a name your price deal from Priceline and could not have been happier. The hotel location is fantastic and the rooms, while small are sufficient. It's true that there are no drawers for clothing, etc. but that's really not a deal breaker. A lot of reviews here talk about the junior suites, but we had just a regular room, and it was plenty big enough for a couple - much bigger than some other rooms I've had in NYC.The room was lovely with hardwood floors, comfortable bed, window seat (the cushion was a little grubby), and antique walnut trim everywhere. The bathroom was super tiny - you probably would not be able to use the shower if you were pregnant, for instance, and you probably shouldn't drop the soap, but again absolutely fine for our purposes because we were neither pregnant nor klutzy. There was an overhead light in addition to bed and desk lamps - not sure about the reviews that refer to dark rooms - just the wood trim is dark. The public spaces (library with espresso machine and fireplace and bar) are also charming. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: If you are a larger person (tall, broad) you might make sure you have a bathroom on the larger side...
Dear Thom-Shap,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Shoreham. I’m glad you found our rooms to your satisfaction and our amenities were up to your standards. We value your comments and we will take your feed back in order to continue to provide quality service. Our location and decore are the key features that makes our property special and a true hidden gem! My team and I look forward to your continued visits and take this opportunity to assure you of our best attention and service at all times.

Warm Regards,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

The Hotel was great. It was a special night as I was surprising my wife with a weekend in the city. I booked a ROH room and wrote an email to the General Manager explaining the surprise and the importance of the weekend. I asked if there was anything special he could do to help make the weekend memorable. To my surprise when I checked in I walked into a beautiful 2 bedroom apartment style room with a fireplace and chocolates. What a wonderful surprise and yet another reason why the Mansfield is so awesome. This is a prime example of a hotel going above and beyond for their guests. The whole staff and experience will be one that my family remembers for quite a while. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone who is looking for something special and beyond the cookie cutter Hiltons and Marriott's. Thank You Mr. Sandler I appreciate your generosity!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Randango,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. We were truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay during this special occasion.We know how important the small details are when it comes to choosing a hotel, and we promise we will always try to continue to impress you! We look forward to welcoming you back.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Ended up here through a Name Your Price Priceline deal. The room was definitely smaller than any other I had been in, but fit my needs perfectly. The hotel was quite charming with a helpful, courteous staff. Was there during an NYC blizzard and the library fireplace was a delightful plus!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Dear Anne P,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Shoreham. I’m glad you found our staff helpful. We value your comments and we will take your feed back in order to continue to provide quality service. Our location is one of the key features that makes our property special and a true hidden gem! My team and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Wash., DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Little apprehensive before arriving at the Mansfield after reading some of the negative reviews.
I made a reservation through a third party, starts with a P and ends with an e. Quickly found out there was nothing to worry about. Debra at the front desk was very professional at check in, as were all of the staff I had contact with. After checking in, I parked my car for $22 with a garage that does business with the hotel. $22 for 24 hours in NYC, can't beat it! Proceeded up to Room 310 via the elevator, the last time I actually used the elevator just because the stairwell was right outside my room. 310 was very clean and for a solo traveler had plenty of space. The bathroom looked in great shape. Lighting in the room was not an issue at all. Shower water pressure was fine. Absolutely no outside noise at all. It was winter so the heat was on, but you can crack open a window to allow for your desired temp. Only recommendation I have is to hook the TV up to HDMI for Hi Def viewing. Small thing. To each his own. The library/parlor looked great. Didn't eat on site. Location is excellent. Short walk to Grand Central to your east and to Times Square to your west. I even took a walk up to Central Park South in the morning which is just fifteen blocks or so north. All in all a great little hotel! Thanks!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear Metsin2007,

Thank you staying with us here at The Mansfield and for providing us feedback following your stay. We pride ourselves in providing the best customer service experience possible. I’m very pleased that you loved the location of The Mansfield. It’s definitely one of the major features that makes our hotel so special. It brings me great pleasure to know that you were most impressed with our rooms, and ameneties throughout your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back!!

Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Super boutique hotel with a great midtown location, near many attractions. Walking distance from Grand Central if coming by train. Charming interior spaces from comfy "living room" and attached restaurant-which is also used for breakfast to a variety of rooms available from basic to penthouse. Watch for special packages/deals!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

david_sandler, General Manager at The Mansfield, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Moh52,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Mansfield. I’m glad you found our rooms were cleaned to your satisfaction and our amenities were up to your standards. We value your comments and we will take your feed back in order to continue to provide quality service. Our location is one of the key features that makes our property special and a true hidden gem! My team and I look forward to your continued visits and take this opportunity to assure you of our best attention and service at all times.

Williamstown, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Come on people! If you are looking for a big American chain hotel with large, bright cookie-cutter rooms, don't book a room at The Mansfield. There are plenty of Mariotts, Hyatts, etc. in New York City -- just go there! And, a note to the manager of The Mansfield (with apologies to Shakespeare) "thou doth grovel too much, methinks!" Instead of your endless stream of apologies to the complainers, just spend some time attending to fixing some of the problems and don't apologize for things you can't fix -- like room size, or the view from the windows, etc. etc.

This is a very old hotel (read it's history) and it has the wonderful charm, character and quirks of a historic hotel. The rooms are small (get over it!), the lighting is low and the view from the windows is not the highpoint. If the view is what you are seeking, go to the mountains or the ocean!

We were in New York for one night seeking a clean, affordable hotel to retreat to after a night at the theatre. A hotel with character and within walking distance of the theatre district -- we found it in The Mansfield. We booked the regular-sized room (not a suite) and it looked just like the picture on the website; it was totally clean, the bed was comfortable, there were no bugs. The lighting is subtle, but we were not spending a lot of time in the room to read -- and there is a very cozy library off the lobby (with a fire in the fireplace and a free coffee/espresso, latte, cappuccino machine).

The M Bar is another cozy spot to enjoy a drink before or after your evening out. It is dark and intimate -- if you want a sports bar atmosphere, it's not for you.

The location of the hotel is perfect for walking to Rockefeller Center, Broadway, the theatre district, Times Square, etc, and yet is on a quiet side street. There are lots of options for grabbing a bite to eat within a very short walking distance (across the street, for example - Kellari Taverna). There is a diner that is great for breakfast in the same block (the Red Flame) and I highly recommend O'Lunney's Irish Bar on W. 45th Street). Many, many options!

Room Tip: There are indeed a few bathrooms (although clean, with beautifully-tiled roomy showers, where the to...
Dear BerkshireGal,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review The Mansfield Hotel. Our hotel staff takes pride in providing all our guests with a “Perfect Stay.” I am delighted to see we were able to meet and exceed your expectations. Thank you again for making our hotel your lodging destination when visiting New York City. Please feel free to contact the front office during your next visit to The Mansfield, and I will personally make sure to make it a memorable experience.

Warm Regards,