“Quiet in the heart of the city”
Review of The Mansfield

The Mansfield
Ranked #345 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sacramento, California
“Quiet in the heart of the city”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Great boutique style hotel with a quiet room In the heart of the city. Be prepared for small but quaint room. The M Bar was a great retreat with delicious food. Being from the west coast, this hotel was similar to San Francisco.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

david_sandler, General Manager at The Mansfield, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Stacy M,

Thanks for the feedback on your most recent stay. I'm glad to hear our location was convenient for you and that you enjoyed the new Decor of our property. The M Bar is definitely one of the key features that makes our hotel special! We hope that you will choose to stay with us in all your future stays in NYC.Please feel free to reach out to me directly for your future booking needs.

Be well,

David Sandler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Scotland Uk
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed in 2 Bedroom Suite 10th - 16th December.
Perfect for our needs and hotel superb location for all aspects of exploring New York. Staff very helpful and friendly at all times. Quirky Hotel with an ambience that reminisced of a gentleman's club. Loved it!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Elizabeth H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. I'm happy to hear our location was convenient for you and that you found our staff helpful. Please let us know next time you're in New York if you'd like to come visit us again, and we’ll accommodate you with a room that better suits your needs. Feel free to reach out to me directly.

Warm Regards,,

New York
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I traveled with my son, and booked this hotel on Expedia, at a great rate. They noted that the room would accommodate two adults I stayed at other Hotel during my visit, but what I like best about the Mansfield, was that they realized I was with my son, and upgraded us to a Jr. Suite, which has sofa sleeper and it was beautiful and comfortable

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Jill M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our rooms and customer service.I'm very pleased our front desk was able to anticipate your needs and accomodate you. Please let us know next time you're in New York if you'd like to come visit us again, and we’ll try and top your last stay! Feel free to reach out to me directly.

Best,

New York
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My husband and I booked our room from Hotels.com. We've used this site many times, and have always had a pleasant experience. However, I can not say that about our stay at The Mansfield. How disappointing. I can assure you we will not be staying there ever again.
Our room was tiny. No where on the site did it say how small these rooms are. The window was open in our room when we arrived. It's December! It was freezing in our tiny room. My husband had to fix the window himself. Even after the front desk said they would send someone. It still never latched right. There was no thermostat. I had to call the front desk for blankets. I also had to call to get the heat fixed/turned up. I still don't understand how it works. It was like the heat in our room was turned up/on, and left on full blast...ALL NIGHT. The only setting was ON. I woke up at 4 am in a horrible sweat!! On (zero support) goose down pillows. That smelled awful!! It was 500 degrees in our room. The concierge told me to open the window! I have stayed in hotels all over the world. I have never had anyone tell me to open the window. I had no choice but to comply and open the window. I was smothering! I woke up the next morning completely congested. My husband felt awful the entire next day as well. Then getting ready the next morning, I had to sit with wet hair, in our room with the open window for 45 minutes. There was no hairdryer in our room! Having to wait the extra 45 minutes made us miss our breakfast reservation. We had booked 4 weeks in advance for this particular restaurant. Where we had our proposal breakfast. This of course ruined not only my day, but completely crushed my feelings. There was also no alarm clock! We had to use our phones. To top everything off, there were cockroaches. I took pictures with my phone I can and will be forwarding. My husband and I's honeymoon was ruined. This is most definitely not a four star hotel. I wouldn't give it 2 stars. I will most definitely not be staying at or recommending this hotel to anyone, and after telling friends and family about our experience, I'm sure they will feel the same.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

2 Thank Suha U
david_sandler, General Manager at The Mansfield, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Suha U,

Thanks for the feedback on your most recent stay. I'm disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy your room; this is definitely not typical of the service we offer at our hotel. We strive to provide attentive, friendly service, which makes your negative experience that much more disheartening. Please be assured we are looking into your heating problem, comfort and quality is very important to us. We’ll pass along your feedback to our team in order to continue providing valued service.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Elegant surroundings, charming, courteous and helpful staff. Quite, convenient overall very enjoyable experience from arrival to departure. My room was cozy, comfortable and clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Dear Trip advisor member,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and our rooms were to your liking! We pride ourselves in making every guest stay as memorable as possible. We hope that you will choose to stay with us in your future stays in NYC. Please feel free to call me directly; we will do our best to top your last stay!

Regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Note we were there for vacation, and purposefully did not need to use the wifi. I also agree with one of the previous reviewers that the room was small and dark. But aren't most NYC rooms small? The dark lends to the boutique nature of the hotel. I also agree that the rooms' temperatures are not easy to control.

Now that that's out of the way, we found the staff friendly but not overbearing, the lounge cozy, and the library very pleasant (with great cappucino). Considering that this was a place basically to sleep, we really enjoyed the amenities. We also found our room clean.

If you're going to NYC to hang out in your room, then I probably would not recommend the Mansfield. However, if you are looking for nice amenities in a location near Times Square, I'd definitely go here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear NazanYar,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and our lounge was to your liking! We pride ourselves in making every guest stay as memorable as possible. We hope that you will choose to stay with us in your future stays in NYC. Please feel free to call me directly; we will do our best to top your last stay! You're right, who doesn't love a little complimentary champagne?

Regards,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I dutifully read all of the reviews before selecting the Mansfield hotel for my stay in NY. This has been an AWFUL experience.

First, the room is so small, it is kind of ridiculous. That isn't that big of a deal though. I was ok with it since the bathroom was very clean.

The room is very dark. Not a huge deal but definitely weird.

There were hairs on my pillow. I just tossed the hairy one to the side and inspected the rest which looked ok. Finally settling on one and hoping it was clean - it did look clean but the previous hairs made me weary.

The room was very hot. I normally run cold so for me to say its hot, it has to be really hot. I had to turn on the AC unit (window unit) in the room just to make it bearable. Alas, it was so noisy and cold (it blew like a storm right on my while sleeping because the room is so small and the fan would not adjust down from a blast) that I barely slept.

After a very long day of work and walking with a heavy work bag, I wanted to order room service. I was informed at 9:45pm that the kitchen closed early and that ordering would not be possible. Room service is stated to be open from 5pm to 11pm for a wide menu but is supposed to be 24/7 for a limited menu (which I was ordering from!). But no, not for me.

Earlier in the day I was booted out of the "lounge area" (the only area where you can get complimentary wifi service - though their in room booklet says it is complimentary throughout the hotel!!!) because of some last minute private party. Initially I wasn't too upset as a nice lady at the front desk offered a code for free wifi from my room for the inconvenience (again, it says it is complimentary throughout the hotel in the guest services book in the room).

I am not sure where all of these great reviews came from but I haven't seen the service level that I expected.

Any one of these incidents on their own would have been ok to deal with but the lack room service pushed me over the edge as I was exhausted from not sleeping the night before due to the noisy air unit.

Anyway, the good part is the location is nice. But there are 3 or 4 hotels not to far from here that I will be staying at the next time I am here. The Hotel Sofitel likely - that is one I am familiar with and I am sure would be more apt to have quality standards for service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank jtaylorj3
Dear jtaylorj3,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide our hotel with your feedback. I apologize on behalf of the hotel, for not providing you with the experience you had hoped for; please know our team has been notified of your experience and they hope for your return, so that we may make it up to you. If you decide to give us another try, please feel free to contact me and I will make sure your stay will be nothing short of perfect. Thanks you again for your time, and have a great day.

Warm Regards,