“2 Bedroom Apartment on 12th Floor with teenie weenie bathroom!!”
Review of The Mansfield

The Mansfield
Ranked #343 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were 4 women visiting New York for the US Open, the location was great. The hotel is a boutique period hotel that has been nicely renovated. the expresso machine in the library was used daily. The 2 bedroom suite offers a hall with counter space and snack bar, a spacious living area with a lovely fireplace, writing desk and comfy sofa, 2 connecting bedrooms, one with a king bed the other with a queen bed with built in bench length of the walls great for sitting and extra luggage. the drawback we encountered was the BATHROOM!! One tiny bathroom with One tiny pedestal sink it was so tight that only one person could could fit at at time...no room to pass to shower or use toilet it was definitely a one person bathroom.also toilet didn't have a separate door it was a tiny narrow bathroom. We did suggest that they find a place for an extra sink even if it was in entry hall. After lots of discussion we decided the sitting/living area compensated for the tiny single bathroom

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
david_sandler, General Manager at The Mansfield, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Travelbug1922,
Thank you and your friends for coming to stay with us at the Mansfield Hotel. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the location and all the hotel amenities. We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to hone in on our customer’s needs. Please come see us again the next time you are in NYC as we would love to welcome you back. We hope you and your friends had a great time at the Open!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I booked this room through a groupon redemption. I was supposed to be offered an upgrade to a two bedroom suite, but the front desk staff had no idea was I was talking about. I did settle into my suite, which was surprisingly large for NYC rooms. It had a modern bathroom, and a good breakfast, although limited selection. Location was the key as it was quiet at night , but close to a variety of attractions. staff was very attentive from housekeeping to bellhop. I would return .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Tson724
Thank you for staying with us at the Mansfield Hotel. It is great to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We are glad that you liked the room amenities and the Mbar. Please come see us again during your next visit to the city as we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I booked this hotel completely 'on spec' on-line with absolutely no thought or planning at all as I had to rush to NY as my son had been admitted to ER. I arrived at 2am, hotel was nice and quiet, bags were swiftly transported to my room - no problems. Initially I had a room at the back which was very quiet despite a pretty rudimentary air-con system (in the window!) which was a bit noisy but tolerable. After 2 nights I moved to a different room with 2 beds for a week to accommodate my son on his post-op discharge. The room on the front was so noisy it was untrue! Trucks delivering to the various hotels at 2am with delivery men yelling and shouting - I felt they were in the room with us. Police sirens+++, party revellers at all hours - I'm sure you get the picture. This is 44th after all. However the room was clean - good quality beds and linen, towels a bit on the little side (if you're overweight you'll struggle I'm sure!), nice toiletries, reasonable hair dryer...the décor is rather nice and totally in keeping with the age / style of the building but consequently very dark - take your 'ready readers' and be prepared! I personally wouldn't use this hotel for business as you have to pay a daily rate for the internet (free in the lobby / library but always busy in there) and the desk would be too small to work on. Ideal as a couples 'getaway' when you perhaps want the lights down low!! Great staff - always asking about my son which was appreciated. Breakfasts are great - small menu but really good value! The best yogurt, berries and granola ever! Good room service - well presented and food arrived quickly. Good (but expensive) laundry and dry cleaning service. Free tea / coffee available in the library all the time with iced lemon water in reception! Despite a few gripes I would stay again! Currently the hotel is covered in scaffolding - works imminent?

Room Tip: Insist on a room at the back
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear CazRob,

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here as a couple for 4 nights and we felt the service here was excellent and the staff at reception were very helpful. The rooms here are small (but that is how boutique hotels are in NYC) but very cosy and modern with enough room to store your luggage away in the closet. Our room was very peaceful and quiet it didn't look onto the street but was tucked away. The breakfasts here in the morning are delicious I would recommend the eggs Benedict or fruit granola. Coffee here is free in the library which i think is a nice touch. Its right by Times Square so great location to all the tourist attractions.

We came in in January but as it was so cold I would recommend going in Spring or Autumn (Summer can be too hot) and to book the trip up the Statue of Liberty in advance so you can go up it. Also Top of the Rock at Rockafella Centre is much better than the Empire State as you get to see the Empire State from it. Show tickets can be bought on the day from Time Square but have a look on the board to see whats available first.

Room Tip: We were in a quieter part of the hotel so didn't have any noise issues so would recommend a room...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kat S
Thank you so much for being a valued guest at the Mansfield Hotel. Your review was amazing and is how we want all our guests to feel when they come to the hotel. We enjoyed hearing how you loved the location, friendliness of the staff, cleanliness of the room and the Mbar. We are so excited that we have become your hotel of choice in the NYC.

The team works hard to make sure all our guests are taken care of and from your review it sounds like they accomplished that.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the city.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Mansfield for two nights. The location and service were excellent. The rooms are small - nothing out of the ordinary for NYC. Our only problem was the window air conditioner - noisy and it was very close to the bed so you feel it blowing on you at night. Otherwise the room was quiet and had everything you would need. We received wonderful help from the front desk people and enjoyed drinks in the lounge and free coffee and newspapers in the library. Lovely atmosphere and would stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear travelgirls2 - We were so glad that you stayed with us during your time in NYC. Our staff really tries to give the best service they can provide and being friendly is always a key to success. We are very happy you enjoyed the M Bar as it is a fun little spot in Manhattan.
Thank you for your feedback and review of the hotel. We hope when you come back to visit New York you think of the Mansfield first.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

The location of this hotel is outstanding. I could walk to almost everything - Times Square, Empire State, Rockefeller Center and I even walked back from The American Museum of Natural History passing by Central Park and the Metropolitan Musesum. Although as much as I loved the location of this hotel, the hotel looks beat and rundown. There were holes on the wooden floor and the smell of the room was musty. The bathroom sink was so small, you have to use the window sill to put your toiletries and accessories on. The lighting was a little dim as I cannot clearly see as I was "prepping" my face. There were stains on the window bed and the paint just looked old. But if all you need is a place to sleep when in New York then this will do.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Maria - Thank you for staying with us at the Mansfield hotel. We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to provide us with feedback. The team holds themselves at a high level and we take feedback seriously, as it helps us get better servicing our guests. It is great to hear you liked the location and the food at the hotel. We hope you will give us another chance the next time you are in New York City as we know we can make your stay more memorable. We would love to welcome you back.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Clean, decent-sized rooms in the heart of the tourist trap.

I stayed in a standard queen room. The furnishings were all modern, clean bathrooms and convenient walking distance from both Grand Central and Times Square. I'd happily stay here again as hotels of this quality and location at such a price are fairly rare. A friend stayed at a nearby hotel called the Distrikt Hotel and I'd probably ever-so-slightly prefer their rooms over the Mansfield, but the location ended up making the Mansfield the winner in my book.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank aimlessnacho

Dear something_unique
Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel. We are happy you were able to stay with us during your visit to NYC. Its great to hear you liked the location of the hotel as well as its cleaniness. The housekeeping team will be glad to hear all about it. We hope the next time you are in NYC you will come stay with us again.