Although the location is excellent and the room we had in the back of the building was quiet, the room itself was oddly designed. This was not because the hotel rooms in an older building are normally small but rather just plain poor design in this recent renovation. The closet only has about 36 inches of vertical hanging space so anything longer than a shirt, a jacket or pants folded in half over a hanger can't hang straight. Underneath this limited vertical space is one small drawer under a small shelf. Under the drawer is a small refrigerator.
A window seat of limited depth ran under the window opposite the bed with the a/c a few inches above it. This was apparently intended to be the luggage rack for the room for 22-inch suitcases. Anything larger would have to go on the floor. Had we had less than a "queen parlor" room, there wouldn't have been space on the floor.
The floor itself, dark-painted wood, had deep scratches revealing the light-colored wood beneath the paint. And I got a mean splinter in my foot on the edge of a poorly installed floorboard .
The bathroom door is realy 2 doors that meet in the middle--but not quite! The sink is tiny and squeezed into a corner. Over the sink is the only mirror in the room, no larger one to check to see if you are put together before heading out the door.
Towels are meeted out like precious wine; if you stay more than one night, what you have used will be replaced but with less than you used. Granted one could ask for more, but on returning late Sunday to the room, we figured staff would not be responsive to a request for a couple of washclothes and a towel.
None of this would cause us surprise at a cheaper hotel but this is not a lower tier one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An architectural and historical landmark, The Mansfield is a portal to a New York City of days gone. Guests of the hotel appreciate its club-like surroundings and superb craftsmanship, as illustrated by the lobby’s detailed illuminated 16-foot ceiling and oval staircases with original terrazzo floors. The Mansfield is located just off of Fifth Avenue at 44th Street, residing within the historic preservation district of Midtown Manhattan, and deep in the heart of the Theater District. The hotel is within a short walk of the finest Fifth Avenue stores, Bryant Park, Times Square, Broadway, Grand Central Station, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden and the Radio City Music Hall. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, HotelPower, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Mansfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mansfield Hotel New York City
- Mansfield New York City
- Mansfield Hotel New York City