“Odd rooms”
Review of The Mansfield

The Mansfield
Ranked #343 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 16, 2007

Although the location is excellent and the room we had in the back of the building was quiet, the room itself was oddly designed. This was not because the hotel rooms in an older building are normally small but rather just plain poor design in this recent renovation. The closet only has about 36 inches of vertical hanging space so anything longer than a shirt, a jacket or pants folded in half over a hanger can't hang straight. Underneath this limited vertical space is one small drawer under a small shelf. Under the drawer is a small refrigerator.

A window seat of limited depth ran under the window opposite the bed with the a/c a few inches above it. This was apparently intended to be the luggage rack for the room for 22-inch suitcases. Anything larger would have to go on the floor. Had we had less than a "queen parlor" room, there wouldn't have been space on the floor.

The floor itself, dark-painted wood, had deep scratches revealing the light-colored wood beneath the paint. And I got a mean splinter in my foot on the edge of a poorly installed floorboard .

The bathroom door is realy 2 doors that meet in the middle--but not quite! The sink is tiny and squeezed into a corner. Over the sink is the only mirror in the room, no larger one to check to see if you are put together before heading out the door.

Towels are meeted out like precious wine; if you stay more than one night, what you have used will be replaced but with less than you used. Granted one could ask for more, but on returning late Sunday to the room, we figured staff would not be responsive to a request for a couple of washclothes and a towel.

None of this would cause us surprise at a cheaper hotel but this is not a lower tier one.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank 2francophile
Write a ReviewReviews (1,886)

Reviewed October 10, 2007

We've just come back from a long weekend in New York for our wedding anniversary and we stayed at the mansfield for 3 nights. It ticked all the right boxes and is close to all the major sights, Times Square, Grand Central, Empire State and Chrysler. The hotel staff were great and helped us organise a few things, including a helicopter ride and somewhere special to eat on our anniversary.
The hotel is an old boutique style hotel which also meant the air conditioning was old and noisy but other than that our room was clean and modern.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank annual_tourist
Reviewed September 19, 2007

We thought that the Mansfield was superb. We've literally just returned on the 17 September. The hotel was undergoing renovations to modernise certain parts, but we certainly didnt experience any problems with this.

The rooms are small, but they were perfect for what we wanted - sleeping and dropping off shopping. The rooms were of a high standard and can be seen on the tripadvisor website. The hotel are also very good at keeping the rooms clean and we experienced no problems.

Upon arrival we were informed about breakfast, their facilities which included the gym, in fact the one day the gym was out of use, we received a letter to say we could use the gym over the road.

Breakfast was simple but just what we required - cereals, bagels, yoghurts, fresh fruit and hot /cold drinks.

The hotel is in a great location and less than 10 minutes walk from Times Square.

The concierge and porter were always very friendly, and always went out of their way to help us with our first visit.

We definitely would recommend this hotel to all and will be revisiting next year and staying at the same hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank travellers016
Reviewed September 17, 2007

I travel to NY frequently for business and most often stay at The Dylan, The Morgan's or the Roosevelt -- the latter only if the first two are unavailable. I decided to research something different for this trip because I want to have more small-hotel options. I found The Mansfield online and after checking out reviews on this website, decided to go for it. It was a bit of a risk because I was taking a client in to town as well. I thought it was a delightful hotel and I'll definitely stay there again. Although small (what rooms aren't in NY?), I thought it was nice. Even the narrow bathroom worked for me. I particularly liked the dark wooden floors in my room. Carpet in NY hotel rooms always seems very dirty. I was worried the wooden floors could mean a noisy stay but that wasn't my experience at all. I had a peaceful nights' sleep, but didn't have to worry about street noise because my room faced another building. I particularly liked the workout room. It was larger than I expected, had a nice amount of equipment for the size of the hotel, and it was clean. I'll definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank windycitygal
Reviewed September 17, 2007

I booked this business stay on Hotwire. Previous to this, I had never had a negative experience using this site. The Mansfield is tired and dirty and is completely misrepresented by its web site. The corners of the dark rooms are lined with dust balls, the hallways, mirrors and walls in the common areas filthy. I can tolerate small rooms, but the darkness is a problem as are the closets. There are no full-length areas to hang suits etc. and no irons or ironing boards to repair the damage done from hanging badly all week. The staff didn't bother to mention to me upon check in that breakfast is included in my stay, nor tell me where the gym was located. There were many other problems with my stay, but you can get the idea. The bottom line: if I hadn't prepaid for this stay, I would have checked out immediately.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank An_Avid_Traveler_72
Reviewed September 8, 2007

The Mansfield was highly recommneded to me by a colleague, who had stayed there in August. All that he said was true--the hotel is attractive and well-appointed, the staff friendly, the espresso maker off the lobby (free and always available) is a wonderful amenity, and a very good continental breakfast is included. With all that to the good, what's to be concerned about?

My room (703) is on 44th St., so quite noisy until late and quite bright. Tha a/c unit was the typical older hotel model, going on and off noisily all night, thus competing with 44th St. for annoying noise. The bathroom was tiny--step out of the shower and into the toilet (well, figuratively), and don't try to close the door while using the toilet (sadly, literally). Would be OK in a regular room, but this was putatively a "spacious Parlour Queen" (their term, from the reservation confirmation) that cost $289/night. Too much money for too little.

I ususally stay at the Algonquin (across 44th St.) but gave this a try, based on my friend's rec. If you like the amenities--including a big flat panel TV--and don't mind the nise, light, and tight quarters, then the Mansfield is wonderful. But if those other things matter to you--I rarely turn on the TV in a hotel room--then there are better hotel choices for you in Manhattan.

Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank ejhArlington
Reviewed September 3, 2007

My husband and I stayed here with another couple over Labor Day weekend. It was a wonderful experience. We only paid $199 per night!!! As expected at a boutique hotel, the rooms are very small, but unless you are planning on spending most of your time in the hotel room, no big deal. The room had a very comfortable bed with nice linens, an Ipod dock, flat sceen TV and a pretty little bathroom (with AVEDA products)!!!!! They have bottled water, tea and coffee for their guests any time. We loved the library (working fireplace) where you can read the paper, talk and have coffee. The bar is a nice atmosphere. They offer a free continental breakfast with your stay. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Our friends had a noisy room b/c of road construction and they quickly moved them the next day. I would definitely stay here again. Great location, very close to Grand Central Station.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)