“Romantic and comfortable”
Review of Lowell Hotel

Lowell Hotel
Ranked #156 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Lowell Hotel to celebrate his birthday this past December. We had a lovely experience. While the room itself was not large, it was comfortable and having the working fireplace was great. The bathroom was awesome. Huge class enclosed stall shower, big sink area. Huge tub. We had a great experience!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank like2travelNY

Reviewed December 22, 2008

Don't let the tiny lobby or miniscule elevators fool you, the rooms here are large and exquisite--especially for New York. Our room, 7E had just been renovated and featured a king size bed, kitchenette, terrace, seating area and large marble bathroom with a flat screen TV above the bath. I am not sure if this is technically considered a suite, but I had a hard time leaving the room to explore New York. I have stayed at several nice hotels in the city (The Pierre, The Palace) and The Lowell is by far my favorite. The best part is that you get to avoid the tourist crowds milling around the mouths of the bigger hotels and yet you are in the heart of the shopping district--a perfect place to stay during the Christmas holidays. The Lowell felt like a luxurious home away from home.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bouquet61
Reviewed November 16, 2008

After reading many glowing reviews on Trip Advisor, I booked a room at The Lowell for a three day business trip in August '08. When I first arrived, I was given a room on the fourth floor with ancient chipped furniture, a stained rug, and a dingy kitchenette complete with 70s-era appliances. Also, the room was so low and surrounded by other buildings that my cell phone did not work. When I called the front desk to ask for another room on a higher floor with furniture in better condition, I was told that chips and worn paint were simply "the style" of the furniture, and that no other rooms were available. Only after I insisted was I told by the rude desk clerk that she had "moved some things around" and found me a room on a higher floor. Unfortunately, that room was a carbon copy of the first, but at least I had cell phone reception. I got into the shower to find dried splatters of blue soap all over the shower walls and curtain. I had to call housekeeping to clean this up while I went out, which they did. Later that night I turned on the air conditioning, which rattled loudly and kept me awake. The bed and sheets were fine.

I'm baffled by the rave reviews given to this hotel. Some floors have renovated rooms, and I hope they're in better shape than the one I was condemned to sleep in. They could hardly be worse for a hotel with this type of name and reputation. The only good things I can say about The Lowell are that it is well located on a nice side street and is quiet. However, that may have been because the hotel was empty due its exhausted appearance and rude staff.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
7  Thank trav08Boston
Reviewed October 19, 2008

There are about four hotels in my regular NYC rotation, The Pierre, The Plaza Athenee, the Mandarin Oriental and the Lowell. The Mayfair Regent was also a fave, but it succummed a few years back.

In general I like smaller, older and more intimate hotels that have great locations. The Lowell is all that and more. The rooms can be small, but if all I wanted was a bigger room, I'd stay at the Courtyard by Marriott.

The Lowell drips charm and the staff is well trained and very attentive to your needs. This last trip was no exception. Everything was perfect in the bathroom, you get a nightly turndown service and a concierge who knows his business.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank scottca075
Reviewed April 18, 2008

What can I say. This is the very best in NYC. My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at The Lowell. I will never forget it. Marble kitchen and bathroom, crystal, frette sheets, the hotel has a person that just changes the orchids in yoour room daily....our terrace overlooked The Pierre...
Everything thing is just done in such good taste. It is perfection!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kelly T
Reviewed April 14, 2008

Four of us went to NY to experience Christmas in the city. No matter how many people we encountered during the day we always knew when we walked in the front door, peace would be the theme. This place is fantastic. The rooms are wonderful, the service is perfect. They found us great tickets to the opera 5 hours before curtain. We stayed five nights and plan on doing it again next year.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank knisely
Reviewed March 26, 2008

We had 3 nights in The Lowell in a Lowell King room. It was beautifully & newly decorated with a great bed & a very good bathroom.

The staff were very helpful. Housekeeping was good. Concierge very good & rather unusually for a NY hotel it was quiet.

We loved the breakfasts.

But it's expensive & although the area is great for top end shopping it's a bit of a walk to the museums & it's long cab ride downtown.

It suited us for 3 nights but I think we would have got bored if we'd stayed longer.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple