“New York gem”
Review of The Lombardy

The Lombardy
Ranked #255 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I have just spent 10 days at the Lombardy and could not fault it. We had a lovely suite on 16 th floor(understand all rooms are different) which was spacious, very clean and furnished in Art Deco theme. Never heard any noise and bed was extremely comfortable. As my husband was sick for a few days we appreciated the extra space and second bathroom. Close to everything - Times Square, Broadway, Fifth Ave, Grand Central Station etc. We used taxis as reasonably cheap. Even restaurant across the road Montebello was very good. Staff helpful and pleasant. Would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting large suite accommodation in the amazing city of New York.

Room Tip: Our suite was on 16th floor and was very quiet inside hotel and outside
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Molly255072

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed here for a few days in August. Excellent value - large living space, kitchenette, sitting area, bed area- very much the feel of a nice condo, rather than hotel room. Great location as well. The breakfast was down the street at some very basic diner. More accurately, they gave you a voucher for a few dollars of food. That may have been a temporary situation, can't remember. Overall, was quite satisfied.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Russianoligarch
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Unfortunately, my work requires me to be away from my home, wife and children nearly three-quarters of the year. For the last 5 to 6 years at least, much of that time has been spent in New York at the Lombardy. I can't say enough good things about the hotel and its people. I only reserve the one bedroom suites, so I cannot comment on the standard rooms. The suites are all different and decorated to each owner's individual tastes. I like that. Some of the owners' tastes align with my own and some don't. If I am assigned a suite which is decorated too far out of whack with my sensibilities, I just ask to be moved. It is never a problem, and the front desk staff doesn't act offended, because everybody gets that I'm not saying it's a bad room,but rather, that it's just not to my taste. Not only am I always given a different room, if available, but it is always done with great courtesy and a smile. Try getting that at a chain hotel.

The suites all have fully equipped kitchens. Yes, as others have complained on this board, the kitchens are small, and you have to bring your own coffee. Well, remember, this is not your home - this is an apartment style hotel and most apartment kitchens in New York are small. As for the coffee, I have to buy mine own at home too, so I'm OK with this. The rooms always have filters, so you just need some coffee. Otherwise, the kitchens are clean and fully functional. If a particular type of glass, bowl, utensil, etc. which you want\need is not there, call housekeeping, ask for it and you will get it.

The location on 56th, between Park and Lex is great. Lots of great restaurants nearby and very safe to walk around. Subway is just a couple of blocks away.

Now, here's what really makes the Lombardy a great place to spend time and a great value - the people who work there. As I stated above, I'm away from home a lot, and I miss my family. No matter how many people you may know and see in whatever city you're working in, being on the road is lonely. I see that the folks at the Lombardy are sensitive to this fact, not just with respect to me but to all of the business travelers I see there. The guys at the front desk never fail to look up and say hello or quickly ask if I had a good day or dinner, even when I can clearly see they are busy with other things. The bellmen do the same. This is what my family does when I'm at home, and it make me feel better while I'm on the road, because I feel like somebody actually knows I'm there. It's basic human courtesy, and the Lombardy delivers it. While I am fortunate to know the names of many of the great employees at the Lombardy, I will not mention any here, because I will inevitably forget a few and, more importantly, do not want to gloss over the many, many folks working behind the scenes whom I never meet but know are also there working hard to make my stays so enjoyable.

Lastly, I have seen a few posts on this board which suggest the Lombardy is no place for children. Not true. Like everywhere else I enjoy going, it is just no place for disrespectful little brats. Every year, I am lucky enough to get four to five days to spend with my family in New York in December. I have a three year old son and a nine year old daughter. The first time I brought them to the Lombardy several years ago, I was not sure what to expect, particularly since I forgot to mention I was bringing children when I made the reservation. They were treated spectacularly. Nobody at the front desk gave me the long face I so often see when I check into nice hotels with my kids in tow. Moreover, my daughter was not spoken down to, but instead treated with respect and courtesy (albeit the type you would expect in view of her age) just as any other guest. I have since had the good fortune to take my daughter back with me on several trips, and she loves the place. Several of the Lombardy staff ask me about her when I am there, and she asks me about each of them by name when I come home. The connection between the hotel and home significantly eases the burden of travel.

My family is headed back to the Lombardy in December for a few days, and we already know it will be a great trip because we will be staying at a wonderful place in a terrific city.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Sgaffigan
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We only stayed for two nights after moving from another hotel. Wish we had stayed longer. Great location, rooms were large and well laid out. We were on the twelfth floor so the view was nothing to get excited about. Great kitchen with everything one would need to cook. You do have to furnish your own coffee, etc. Only real negative was the TV's were the hardest to operate I have ever encountered. I would return.!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JerryTulsa
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Excellent location for midtown east in NYC. There is no lobby to speak of but we were not expecting ones based on the reviews. The room was very large by NYC standards, very quiet, clean though it needed some updating. The room seemed to be like visiting your elderly aunt with a room that is dated and oddly-decorated. That said, we were pleased.

Two complaints: no restaurant so you get a $5 coupon to use at a nearby restaurant and the wi-fi was so slow it was basically useless.

That said, we'll return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My colleague and I was in New York for business and was recommended to stay in the Lombardy. What a great deal. We had a suite (303) with an extra bed. Almost 85 sqm apartment with beautiful interior and solutions.

Will definitively use again. Very accommodating staff as well.

Room Tip: You can request specific rooms which will be accommodated if they are free
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Norwegian_Fred
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We had what I would almost consider a small apartment in a good location for a very reasonable price. There weren't a lot of frills, and the bed was not great, but the shower was amazing, and everything was very clean. The housekeeping staff was great - they made sure to keep all the dishes and everything very tidy. It was quiet, and nice and close to shopping. I can't complain.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple