“View to dye for ”
Review of Park Lane Hotel

Park Lane Hotel
Ranked #264 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Great place. View on Central Park is breath taking. Very nice buffet with kind staff for breakfast. No room service though.. Rooms need some refurbishment to get up to date. Should be possible to install mini bar I would say. Coffee machine and mineral water in the room is the least you would expect for this price..

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank kuisch
Lane A, Manager at Park Lane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear Kuisch,
The Park Lane New York thanks you for your recent travel review. It is wonderful news that you received exceptional service and a pleasant dining experience at the Park Room Restaurant. Guest room mini bars were removed due to a number of malfunctioning units and Hotel Management is currently reviewing options for replacement. Your patience and understanding at this time is much appreciated. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel for a return visit in the near future.

Manager- Hotel Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (6,802)

Reviewed July 15, 2014

We had a Central park view, which was honestly breathtaking! Nevertheless, it make it that more a shame that this hotel is simply out of date, feels 'old' and strongly needs a facelift! We it not for the view on Central Park and it's location, I would not necessarily recommend it, especially not at the high price we paid for - which is a shame, as this hotel has huge potential. It just needs some TLC. The windows also were not sealed properly, so quite a bit of street noise comes through - again, something that could so easily be addressed!

The service I am pleased to say, was excellent, the staff were friendly and helpful, and once again, the view was spectacular - but it needs investing in its aesthetics!

Room Tip: Make sure you get Central Park view!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank C B

Thank you Cyril B for your recent review. The Park Lane staff thanks you for the positive notation and it was a pleasure to provide five-star quality service.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

I have been staying in NYC one weekend per month for the past year for graduate school. I'd like to think I've seen my fair share of hotels the city has to offer. From The Peninsula to Holiday Inn Express, I'm an adventurous hotel booker. When I found myself with the option of booking into The Park Lane one weekend at a very fair price, I jumped at the opportunity. Frankly, I knew that it had a prestigious name BUT I did not know really much to it other than it's historical reputation. So I didn't have high expectations of specifically wanting to stay here. And what really sealed the deal was the rate was lower than many other hotels in the area. Upon arrival around 5pm, the line to check in was looong.They had the front desk staffed well enough it was just a matter of so many people coming at once. When I got to the desk, I asked for a nice quiet room. I was pleasantly surprised that they actually gave me a nice quiet room! I think that made all the difference. The shower was "EH". The hair dryer was pitiful (if you have long hair that takes a while to dry- I suggest bringing your own from home). Also, the shampoo and conditioner weren't the best. BUT they did stock a robe and nice feeling towels. The air conditioning unit worked perfectly (you ever stay in a place where it's broken or seems to have a mind of it's own?) I was grateful for the constant just right temp. The curtains blocked out the light and I didn't hear much noise up on my 29th floor room. The elevators were fast enough.The gym was clean and had new machines- four treadmills or so, two arc trainers, a bike, weights and various other things. Also, mirrored walls which made for a more pleasant experience than the typical concrete basement gyms that I typically run into. The stocked it with fresh apples and a water machine. The housekeeping was a little maddening. Nothing really bad but just oddly organized my things that should have not been touched and threw out my water bottle that I had on my night stand that I was hoping to keep for my travels. Also, the details were a little overlooked. Hardly anything to get upset over but just noticed as I've been to less nice places with better housekeeping than this. Location can't be beat. It's within walking distance of 5th avenue stores, lincoln center, columbus circle, MOMA, among other things I'm sure you'll find enjoyable on your stay. Starbucks a block away and coffee for purchase in the downtown lobby with a cute courtyard to enjoy your morning cup. Doorman (and general staff in the lobby) are a little aloof but the guy who checked my luggage was great. He was attentive and friendly. All in all, I was sad to go. It was a little dose of glamor in a hustling bustling city. Also if you're like me and enjoy chandelier gazing, then this place is for you.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Dear Kim S,
Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Park Lane New York with the TripAdvisor community. As a frequent NYC traveler and hotel connoisseur, your feedback is highly valued. We are very pleased to have exceeded your expectations and to have provided acknowledgeable service. Please consider the Park Lane New York in your future travel accommodation needs.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

We didn't stay at this hotel, so I can't say what the rooms are like, but we had great cocktails at Harry's Bar in the hotel. I left my wallet in the dining room where we sat and had cocktails and took advantage of the amazing view of Central Park from their gigantic windows. Overnight, the staff from the dining room found my wallet and turned it into security! Security staff found a business card in it and called them to see if they could get my cell phone number! It was such a relief and so appreciated that they went out of their way to find me! You can't find service like that everywhere. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Lane A, Manager at Park Lane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Kudos to the Security team for taking the appropriate course of action in returning your lost item. It is wonderful that you had the opportunity to experience the iconic Harry's Bar and thoroughly enjoyed your visit. Please join us again for a dining experience at one of the hotels F&B outlets or a hotel stay.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

As an avid NY visitor, I wanted to give my family an experience in an absolutely stunning location. I knew we'd pay a tad more for the room than say at one of the great Hilton's nearby, but to have a view like that and to be able to walk to Central Park South, the East Side, 5th Ave, 6th Ave in no time was worth it! Or so I thought...We got to the hotel, albeit a little early and had no trouble leaving the car. We checked in and not surprisingly, our room wasn't ready. No problem. We just would put our bags in storage and be on our way. Or so I thought. It took nearly 30, yes 30 minutes to secure a bellman to write me a ticket. Waste of time and incredibly frustrating. I even went to the concierge, Sal, who instead of being helpful and receptive, was standoffish and completely put off that I'd have the audacity to ask him to help me. Clearly his elitist ways could not possibly touch luggage. I also made the mistake of asking Sal, the concierge about a quite famous restaurant for brunch that I had a previous reservation and the best way to get there. "I've never heard of it." Really? The Breslin, at the ACE, attached to the world famous John Dory Oyster bar? I simply wanted to know the best way to get there. Thanks for telling me to drop money in a cab when it was a 15 minute walk, which I did, WITH my young kids on the way back. I watched him dealing with others during my 30 minutes in luggage purgatory and he was equally unhelpful, Finally got into our room on the 45th floor. Great view as I had expected, but the room was dank, tired and the furniture looked like it had been brought one floor below from Leona Helmsley's personal stash. Not well appointed at all and in desperate need of an upgrade. As it was for one night and considering I was glad to not be stuck without a place to hang my clothes, Later that afternoon, on our way to meet some people in Park Slope, I asked the quickest route to the F and R trains. Again, put off and clearly without knowledge this time of his own neighborhood. This guy has no business being a concierge, let alone in a has-been formerly 'iconic' property located in a prime area.
Beware of this place and understand what you're getting. The images are not what they appear to be, by a long shot. Yes it's NY and yes pictures don't tell the whole story, but this was an extreme case of bait and switch.

Room Tip: Above the 25th Floor either city or park views are great
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Peter H
Lane A, Manager at Park Lane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Dear Peter H,
Thank you for choosing the Park Lane Hotel New York. We greatly appreciate the opportunity bestowed in accommodating you and your family. It is unfortunate to learn of the difficulties encountered with our Bellman and Concierge team. The service areas will certainly be addressed with the team and strides will be made to improve overall service. The hotel would like to welcome you back with the opportunity to mend the relationship and provide a true Park Lane experience. Please feel free to contact me directly for any future hotel needs in NYC and we will ensure to offer the best available accommodations.

jfalco@parklanenewyork.com

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on a Saturday after learning plans to stay with a friend fell through. I wanted to stay near Central Park and so I booked the room for $200/night through Hotels.com.

Pros: fantastic location, spacious room, comfortable bed, good water pressure/shower experience, nice staff

Cons: constant mayhem in reception (lines and luggage everywhere...understaffed for sure), cheesy decor (faux brass paneling on hallway ceiling, dark and depressing), not very natural ingredients in soaps, shampoo, etc.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Kristy O

Dear Kristy O,
Thank you for choosing the Park Lane New York. We strongly believe our service exceeds the value pricing of guest rooms. Your positive notations are areas that have facilitated the developed a loyal customer base and illustrious reputation in the NYC hotel market. There are times when large clusters of arrivals/departures seek Front Desk assistance at the same time. We apologize if this caused delays at the desk and I truly hope your overall experience was not hindered. The Park Lane New York hopes to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 2 days in a park view room on the 15th floor. The view was amazing and worth the extra money. We had had breakfast in the park room, staff was very friendly and we enjoyed the view, but it was a little bit expensive. One negative was that they did not clean our room and we struggled to get hold of house keeping, but in the end it was sorted out and the room was cleaned. Overall a good stay and would recommend this hotel!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Annemi41

Dear Annemi41,
Thank you for sharing your guest feedback with the Trip Advisor online community and recommending our property to other readers. A Park view room is a feature of our guest rooms that certainly enhances the experience of staying at our hotel. If location and view is an important factor in determining where to stay I would strongly recommend choosing an Executive or Premier Category room type. You were able to do so and it clearly made all the difference. Our apologies in delayed Housekeeping service to your room. We are glad to hear this was sorted out and handled immediately. We look forward to your return visit in the near future. Warmest wishes from the Park Lane New York family.