“Excellent Location”
Review of Park Lane Hotel

Park Lane Hotel
Ranked #257 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We have just returned from a fabulous 5 day trip in New York and stayed at the Park Hotel. After reading some of the reviews we weren't sure what to expect because there seemed to be a lot of negatives, however we were really pleased with the hotel. Our room was lovely and clean with plenty of room and the bed has to be one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in (and boy do you appreciate that when your legs are aching after viewing the sights all day!) We would have preferred a park view, however was advised that when a room became available we would be an extra $100/night. We decided it wasn't worth it because we were literally only using it to sleep. The staff were no different from any other New Yorkers, pleasant enough but don't go out their way to be too helpful. We never ate in the restaurant so cant comment on that, however a few people had said it was expensive for breakfast but at $30 each possibly not, when you realise how much it is when you go out and about. The location was fantastic and I'd say as it is the 'city that never sleeps', slightly quieter, if that could be possible! Definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lane A, Manager at Park Lane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Thank you Alison C for the review. We are ecstatic to hear you enjoyed your five night stay at our property. Our Park Lane Room restaurant serves gourmet breakfast and lunch daily, with breathtaking views of the Central Park South area through floor to ceiling windows. Please be sure to dine in the outlet on your next visit; it surely will not disappoint. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Park Lane Hotel New York!

Mananger- Hotel Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (6,690)

Reviewed April 30, 2014

The guy that checked us in kept us waiting whilst he tapped away on his key board occasionally flashing us the most insincere fake smile. Looked us up and down as though we shouldn't be there probably because we were wearing jeans, trainers and hoodies with back packs. When we got to the room the safe would not work and the smoke detector kept bleeping every minute. We went to reception and one of the security guys came up to the room to check it and started by saying was I running my credit card through it the right way in a very condescending tone. I felt like telling him that I can read. He repaired the safe by replacing its batteries. I asked him if he could arrange for the maintenance team to check the fire alarm which he said he would. Good points were that the bed was really comfortable, the bath was very deep (which my wife loved) and the shower was very hot and very powerful. The lady concierge though was very very helpful and sorted out an issue for us regarding our tickets to see the Yankees game.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing the Park Lane Hotel New York and providing your feedback. We are ecstatic to hear of your pleasantries throughout your stay. We apologize for the faulty functioning of in-room devices, however I am glad to hear our staff was responsive and corrected the issues with the safe and smoke detectors right away. Our front office staff is the face of the property and first guest interaction. The instance you speak of will be addressed with the team to ensure all guest situations are handled with the utmost care and regard.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

The managers don't seem to know a lot about the hotel they're supposed to be managing.

Months before arriving we had requested via email to be put above the 30th floor because of the reviews we'd seen on the trip advisor site and they said they'd try the best they could to do so. On arriving they said that this wasn't possible as there were no rooms available above the 10th floor. After going to reception 5 times over the next day and a half the receptionist said there were no rooms above the 12th floor available. We didn't just want to move to get a nice view, it was because the air con made a horrible clicking noise and the bathroom wasn't the nicest. Luckily another receptionist called Tom (who was very helpful throughout our stay) had corrected this person and put us on the 37th floor because there were quite a few rooms available. The view was so much better and the room actually looked like the ones shown on the hotel website.

When checking my card balance the second day I realised my balance was a lot lower than it should be. After checking my statement I could see the hotel was taking random amounts from my card WITHOUT my permission (this happened every single day of my stay). When asking on checkin if they would charge my card for any reason I was told they only kept a card on file so I could pay for anything I used (e.g. wifi/room service) on checkout only. I was very annoyed and confused so I went down to reception. After speaking to a manager he apologised and said it was a mistake and that all my money would be refunded immediately. The next day this still hadn't been done. I asked for a manager again and spoke to a woman who didn't understand why my card had been charged and said she couldn't see any charges what so ever and would need to speak to accounting but wouldn't be able to till monday as it is closed over the weekends. I then spoke to a different manager again later that day who told me it's for incidental charges and just incase the hotel needs the money from me. I asked why no one had explained this to me on checkin, she said we don't tell any customers that this happens unless they ask. I had asked on checkin and she blamed the staff who checked me in. The 4th manager I spoke to on the day of checking out said she would get someone from the accounting department to email my card company to let them no they no longer needed the money they had took from me that day. It's been two days since I've checked out and they still haven't returned my money (nearly $900). My card company still hasn't received an email and I'm going to have to wait till next week before any of that money is returned to me.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that only 1 of the 4 managers I spoke to over the course of 4 days had some sort of idea as to why to hotel had been taking money from me. All they did was offer empty apologies and promises. Nothing has been sorted out yet. I'd recommend looking at other hotels near by this one as the location is really good for places to see and transport links (5th av station/57th Street).

The service received is most defiantly not 4* it feels more like 1*.

2  Thank MatthewRL

Thank you for choosing the Park Lane Hotel New York. On behalf of the hotel, please accept our apology for the miscommunication in regards to holds/authorizations taken on your method of payment. Our hotel has recently transitioned to a new property management system and the learning curve for front office team members is a developing process. Never the less, your inquiry should have been addressed accurately at the first request and escaladed to a superior if the information was unattainable at the time. Please email me directly with your contact and reservation information so I may research the details immediately.

jfalco@parklanenewyork.com

Reviewed April 27, 2014

The staff's behaviour during breakfast is beyond description. Half the room were polite and half were incredibly rude and indifferent, at best of times. So, if you are unlucky enough to sit in the wrong area, a few tips: guard your plates, as they may vanish if you go to the buffet for a top-up, even if you have crossed your nice and fork. If you ask where your plate has gone, be prepared for a rude answer. Also, if you are in the middle of drinking your juice, make sure the glass is always at least half full, because otherwise it will be taken; same stands for the coffee and if you make the mistake of asking about it, they will act as if you are overreacting. In addition, if you are unfortunate and at the day there is another event (let's say an hour after the end of the breakfast hours), they will make sure you know you are not welcome there. Only a couple of the waiters were polite and apologetic when they saw how the others behaved. If you ask for fried eggs, they will do them but 9/10 times with the wrong side (this literally happened during our 10 day visit). No need to mention, the breakfast at the park lane hotel was the only place where for tip I did leave a whole and round $0.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank atbel
Lane A, Manager at Park Lane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Thank you for choosing the Park Lane Hotel New York. On behalf of the hotel, please accept our apology for the inadequate dining experience during your recent stay. The hotel operates a full service F&B outlet serving breakfast and lunch. The Park Room Restaurant and Harry's Bar outlets are renowned for offering guests a fine dining experience in conjunction with impeccable views of the Central Park area. We strive to maintain consistent service at the highest level for all guests. We will be sure to utilize this review as an opportunity to review with staff and modify any areas requiring improvement. Thank you again for sharing your experience and addressing your concerns.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I stayed here in the summer of 2010 and it was a quite a different hotel than it was last month!

Positives:
+ Location - great for checking out culture (MOMA/Met within walking distance) and of course 5th avenue
+ Room size - generally spacious rooms

Negatives
-Staff: people were outwardly friendly but rather useless at sorting anything out. There was some internal maintenance work going on at about 6am one morning which woke us up, but the staff were useless at offering any explanation or small compensation for being disturbed.
-WiFi: basically, there was none! Absolute nightmare at the time, ended up wasting an hour or two each day sitting in coffee shops to catch up with the work I could have done from the comfort of my room! I can see they've apparently sorted this now, but it is something to check before you go.
-Lacking TLC: the hotel definitely needs an upgrade! It just about functions, but the quality of the facilities (such as the gym) are well below par for the alleged star rating.

In summary - if you're hitting town for a few days mainly to shop/socialise then you're not in a bad place to do it from. However, for your money you might be better off going downtown towards the meatpacking district/Soho which is a bit more trendy.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank GES_1992

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences throughout your recent stay at Park Lane Hotel New York. We are ecstatic to hear of your pleasantries and the positive feedback regarding the cordiality of our staff. The hotel has embarked on a transition to upgrade and enhance efficiency in many areas. Our Wi-Fi system is upgrading to 200mb optimal speed and the fabrication of a brand new, state of the art fitness center is under way. Both areas of revision will be accessible early to mid-summer. Rooms and common spaces are themed Grand European traditional style, with classic décor. The hotel aims to preserve the aurora and essence of the Helmsley tradition; eclectic elegance paired with wondrous views of the city. We hope to welcome you back to the Park Lane Hotel New York where you may first hand see the improvements being made.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Thanks to steep off-season discounts and a lot of luck, we managed to score a room at the Park Lane Hotel with an unbelievable view of Central Park. We could literally see into the windows of the Plaza Hotel, just a few doors down.

The room itself was elegantly decorated and the king-sized bed was very comfortable. The bathroom wasn't anything special, but it was clean and well-stocked with luxurious bath products.

Our room rate included breakfast in the large dining room facing Central Park. Get there early for a window seat. We stuck to the Continental buffet, though it looked like you could order hot dishes off a menu as well. Hot tea, tasty pastries and fresh fruit salad was just the right amount for us given our busy dining schedule in the city.

Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful, especially the front desk clerk who checked us in. All in all, it was a wonderful stay and we didn't want to leave!

Room Tip: We paid for a non-smoking city view room, and got placed on the 17th floor with views of the city an...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FerretingOutTheFun

Thank you for your positive feedback! We are glad to hear you enjoyed the property and hotel accommodations. The hotel staff will certainly be informed of your kind words and the great job they are doing.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We have stayed at several hotels over the years in this area near Central Park. I NEVER write reviews, but I had to share how bad this experience was. The only good thing about this hotel is the location. We booked a junior suite with a Central Park view. When we arrived and checked in, the person at the front desk tried to give us keys to a city view room. Why would we pay extra for a park view and have no view?! When we corrected them, they reluctantly moved us to a room with a park view. What they didn't tell us was that they put us in a SMOKING ROOM without letting us know!!! The room had cigarette burns on the headboard and smelled bad, but we had never stayed there before and honestly just thought the hotel had an odor. What is even more appalling is that we had our 3-year-old daughter with us and they PUT US IN A SMOKING ROOM WITHOUT LETTING US KNOW! We did not find out until we were checking out and said something to the housekeeper. We were so upset at how bad this was for our health and especially our toddler's health! When we returned home, we realized that all of our clothes, even the ones we never wore during the trip smelled horribly of cigarettes. We live in a city that had an ordinance against smoking in public places, so we honestly didn't know smoking rooms in hotels even existed anymore. When we returned home, I attempted to contact a manager to report what happened. I was honestly thinking that it should really be illegal to put a family and their small child in a smoking room without letting them know! At the very least it is unethical! When I called, I was put on hold FOUR times and finally got an assistant manager of some sort. She said that she wasn't authorized to do anything about our horrible experience. She really didn't even seem to care until I told her that I was going to post our experience online. At that point she said she would be in contact with another manager who would call or email me. It has been two and a half weeks since we returned from our trip, and no one has contacted me. I would NEVER stay here again. It is not worth putting your health at risk! Disgusting hotel!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank B6701XSrebeccam
Lane A, Manager at Park Lane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Thank you Rebecca M. for addressing the troubling issues occurred through your stay. I assure you The Park Lane Hotel New York holds the health and safety of our guests to the highest regard. Designated smoking rooms within the hotel are issued to a guest at their request and consent only. In no case or circumstance is this procedure to be deviated by our Front Office staff. I apologize on behalf of hotel management for this alarming circumstance, as well as the confusion with room category. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with intensions of recovery. Please feel free to contact me via email listed below. Thank you for your time and I look forward to speaking in further detail.

jfalco@parklanenewyork.com