“Small, but wonderful room!”
Review of The Franklin

The Franklin
Ranked #410 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 5, 2010

The doormen and the welcoming clerk behind the desk, were all very helpful and friendly. I also loved the shower in my room, the bed, and the fact that I asked about having a quiet room when I made my reservations and you gave me a room in the back. They actually listened to me! Good breakfasts, too.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed April 22, 2010

Trapped by the ash and stayed at Franklin on recommendation of a friend who lives a couple of blocks away. I chose a small room and that was what I got. No problem. It was clean, tidy, nicely decorated with a comfortable bed with quality linen. Given that I was out enjoying the charms of the city, the hotel room was ideal and I had a very comfortable night's sleep. The door man gave me a warm greeting which was followed by the front desk staff. I would definitely stay again and in fact look foward to it. The Franklin makes a refreshing change to the large branded hotels

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 15, 2010

Our son just moved to the Upper East Side and we chose The Franklin for a recent long weekend visit because it is very convenient to his apartment. It was our first visit to NYC in many years. We had a great weekend and The Franklin played no small part.

Tiny room, but well-appointed with a very comfortable bed. But who goes to New York to sit in a hotel room anyway?

Subway stop right around the block. Interesting continental breakfast including prosciutto, cheese, crusty bread and croissants.

But what really makes The Franklin a standout is the friendly, helpful and responsive staff. Everyone made us feel welcome and right at home. It was the kind of personal service that you don't get at the big chain hotels.

We are already looking forward to our next visit to New York and The Franklin.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2010

Stayed here as it was close to appointments and I like the UES. I had a petite queen which was fine for one person, though not two. The Superior Q or K would be better. that being said, the bed was soooo comfortable I didn't want to get up.

Staff is lovely, Doorman always there, Place is very clean and very quiet.

One block to the 6 subway, cabs are plentiful on Lex and Third. Lots of food choices and exploring in neighborhood. Looking forward to next visit

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 26, 2010

I chose this hotel because it was walking distance from the apartment of a friend I was coming to visit. I stayed at the hotel with my 5 year old daughter. The hotel is small but what it lacks in size it makes up for in charm. First, the place is very clean and the staff is helpful. When I placed my reservation, the woman on the phone was not very friendly. I emailed the general manager and he promptly replied with an apology and upgraded me to the executive king room.

The room was very lovely. Small, but just fine for a 2 night stay. We would have liked a restaurant, but not having one in the hotel made us get out and experience more of the city. The seating area in the lobby is really quaint and it just feels like you're tucked away in a little secret place no one knows about. They keep scented candles in the lobby that make the place feel warm and comforting.

The bed was so comfortable and the chandelier above the bed was on a dimmer, which was nice. The bathroom was small, but very clean. I would have liked a bigger bathtub, but it was fine.

For the price, I thought it was a great value. This is a place that knows what its strengths are and in order to appreciate it, you have to not compare it to the big huge hotels. This is a neighborhood hotel with lots of class and lots of charm. I felt 100% safe there. It was nicely decorated and a very relaxing place to be. My 5 year old daughter really liked it too, especially the front desk's 6 month old yorkie puppy, and old-time telephone in the lobby and the chess board in the lounge area.

On the morning we checked out, they kept our bags for us so we could squeeze in more sight-seeing.

We were able to walk to pharmacy, clothing stores, restaurants, fruit stands, spas, shops, etc. It was very easy to catch a cab on the corner. I would absolutely stay here again if I needed to visit the upper east side.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed March 11, 2010

We just stayed at The Franklin for three nights. Got a great deal, they were offering a "stay three nights, get one free". Still had to pay taxes on that third night..but oh well. The location can't be beat if you want to be on the UES. The subway is at 87th and lex....about a block away. The main reason we chose this hotel was the location, I have a sister that lives on 77th and york, so this was within walking distance to her. It was so nice getting away for the craziness of midtown. Cute breakfast, loved the wine and cheese in the evening. Smmmalllll room but it's NYC...it's whats expected. The elevator just tops off the old world charm but it was so nice having modern amenities. I would totally return the next time I'm there. Too bad they didn't have a hot tub somewhere squeezed in there...could have used it after all that walking! :)

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2010

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised when we pulled our car up to the entrance of the Franklin Hotel on the Upper East Side of NY. I chose this hotel because it was close to our children who live in Harlem and close to the subway. It was an alternative to a Marriott in the same area. In addition they offered a "stay 2 nights, get the 3rd night free". Although I had read reviews that the rooms were small my husband suggested that I call to make sure that the petite queen had a closet. I was told that the petite queen room had NO closets. When I was hesitant about keeping the reservations I was first upgraded to a super queen and then a deluxe queen with no additional charge. I was quite happy with that solution.
We found the room very small but adequate, although the only bureau was a night table. We took the phone books out of the drawer and shared the 3 small drawers for the 2 of us. There was a small closet, with ironing board and iron, safe and umbrella! The light bulb in the closet out and I neglected to report it. The TV did not work the first night and we were told the IT man was supposed to come but apparently had not. We were not satisfied with that but were told he would be coming. We woke up the next AM pleased to find the big screen flat TV on the wall was working!
The room was very hot each night and we could not find a thermostat. We slept with an open window which solved the problem but we felt it wasn't energy efficient & the person sleeping next to the window was a bit cold. The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows. There were plenty of snacks and drinks to purchase from the top of the desk.
There was a wine and cheese gathering each evening in a delightful small dining area and each morning there was a delicious continental breakfast of croissants, bread, cheese and meat, jams, granola, milk, yogurt, juice and an espresso/latte machine in addition to regular coffee and tea. There was an adjoining comfortable sitting room with current newspapers. The rooms as well as the the dining and sitting area were tastefully decorated in a brown and blue motif with beautiful silk wall paper. There were lovely fresh flower arrangements in both rooms and lovely roses at the front desk. In addition each floor had delightful mosaic tile framed pictures on the wall and each room number with mosaic tiled.
The hotel is pet friendly and one of the staff had her little dog there. He was sweet but did have an accident which they attended to.
The staff was really helpful with our luggage and sweet with getting us into and out of the "old fashioned" elevator.
All in all a delightful experience. The location, amenities, and friendly staff were a plus despite the small, hot room.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple