All reviewsupper east sidewine and cheesemuseum milerooms are smallcentral parkmetropolitan museum of artyogurtnew yorkcontinental breakfastwindow unitboutique hotelwhole foodswine hourbed was comfortabletimes squareuesguggenheim
Reviewed July 22, 2009

Went to visit my new grand daughter in April and wanted not to stay in a crowded one bedroom apartment on the upper east side. My daughter, a long time NYC resident found this little gem one block from her apartment!
There was wine and cheese every afternoon and a nice little breakfast every morning included in the price. The rooms were very small, opening the bathroom door meant losing my closet door, and the bed took up most of the room. However, it looked newly decorated and very clean.
Nice staff and price for NYC.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 1, 2009

On arrival I didn't expect much from the small opening off the street but the service was excellent and I was escorted to the room and given all the information regarding their services.

The room was small and I think you can get a better deal elsewhere - see my other review on the Hilton Garden Inn at Times Square - but all in all I was satisfied.

Located on the upper east side, there offer a complimentary gym pass to a very fine gym, complimentary breakfast, and although no room service from the hotel itself, they have a connection to a restaurant near by.

It's clean and cute but unless you can find better deals.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2009

This hotel felt exactly like a charming hotel in Europe. The breakfast was wonderful crusty bread, cheese, pastries, yogurt and granola. Any sort of coffee - including cappuccino and lattes (and decaf options) are available 24 hours. In the evening, they have wine and cheese - with proper cheese (no yellow cubes!). We would sit and chat with the other patrons, discussing trips to Egypt and the opera (this IS the upper east side, after all!). Even more European were the rooms - lovely embroidered linens and scented soaps in a room the size of a shoebox. In my room, the bathroom was so small, the sink was in the bedroom, and the closet was literally only 6 inches wide. But, being by myself, it was fine. Most of the other rooms are larger (although still very small by American standards), and if you are traveling as a couple, you should make sure to get one of the larger rooms. The service of the staff was excellent. It really felt like gracious living in old world style. If you want something with charm, comfort and a very homey feel, the Franklin is the place for you.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 10, 2009

I've stayed at many moderately priced NYC boutique hotels on business. This one is great if you can get a good rate and if you don't mind a very small facility (feels more like a little apt building than a hotel.) I prefer this intimate feeling and also like being on the upper east vs. crazy midtown. You'll feel like a neighborhood resident. Rooms are small but beautifully decorated and very clean. Bathrooms are very very small but fabulous Bulgari toilletries make up for it. Nice 1st floor lounge and complimentary cappuccino machine is great. Continental breakfast included is EXCELLENT- not your typical stale pastry. Homemade yogurt and granola, croissant, baguette and gourmet cheeses. Great little gem!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 8, 2009

We were in-town for a friend's wedding and stayed at The Franklin for 3 nights in 2/09 before heading down to stay 3 more nights on the lower east side.

The hotel is located in a great spot on the upper east side very near the 86th/Lex subway stop. The hotel is walking distance to the park, the met, and places to eat/drink on 2nd ave..... It feels quieter and more residential up there than other more "touristy" areas of NYC which is so welcomed in such a crazy city.

We flew in on the red-eye and got to the hotel around 9am. HUGE points for letting us check-in so early. The staff were sweet and friendly throughout our stay. The place has a bed and breakfast/home-like feel to it. We saw very few guests during our stay and felt like we lived here by the time we left. Very private and relaxing.

The rooms are tiny, but very charming with soft colors, nice lighting, and great beds. Our room had a small desk, large TV, queen sized bed, and decent closet space. Expensive mini-bar (but aren't they always?)....do wish they had offered free water though. Wireless internet service was great as was daily newspaper delivery. We were on the 7th floor and maid service came late (around 2pm), but we are not "morning" people so this didn't bother us a bit. The bathroom is really small and the water pressure on the rain shower a little weak, but other than that, they did a great job with the space.

The breakfast area is small, but cozy. Don't expect a full on American breakfast, but the rolls, cereal, coffees, and tea are a great addition to the place. I loved the textured wall paper...might have to add some to my dining area back home. We also enjoyed the free evening wine and cheese further adding to the romantic, charming feel of the hotel. The coffee machine runs 24/7 so you can always pop in and get yourself a latte and tea.....which is so nice on the chilly winter Manhattan nights.

Really a great boutique hotel worth checking out.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Teresa567