We were in-town for a friend's wedding and stayed at The Franklin for 3 nights in 2/09 before heading down to stay 3 more nights on the lower east side.
The hotel is located in a great spot on the upper east side very near the 86th/Lex subway stop. The hotel is walking distance to the park, the met, and places to eat/drink on 2nd ave..... It feels quieter and more residential up there than other more "touristy" areas of NYC which is so welcomed in such a crazy city.
We flew in on the red-eye and got to the hotel around 9am. HUGE points for letting us check-in so early. The staff were sweet and friendly throughout our stay. The place has a bed and breakfast/home-like feel to it. We saw very few guests during our stay and felt like we lived here by the time we left. Very private and relaxing.
The rooms are tiny, but very charming with soft colors, nice lighting, and great beds. Our room had a small desk, large TV, queen sized bed, and decent closet space. Expensive mini-bar (but aren't they always?)....do wish they had offered free water though. Wireless internet service was great as was daily newspaper delivery. We were on the 7th floor and maid service came late (around 2pm), but we are not "morning" people so this didn't bother us a bit. The bathroom is really small and the water pressure on the rain shower a little weak, but other than that, they did a great job with the space.
The breakfast area is small, but cozy. Don't expect a full on American breakfast, but the rolls, cereal, coffees, and tea are a great addition to the place. I loved the textured wall paper...might have to add some to my dining area back home. We also enjoyed the free evening wine and cheese further adding to the romantic, charming feel of the hotel. The coffee machine runs 24/7 so you can always pop in and get yourself a latte and tea.....which is so nice on the chilly winter Manhattan nights.
Really a great boutique hotel worth checking out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only a short distance from Central Park, the famed Museum Mile and Madison Avenue designer shops, The Franklin Hotel is the perfect Upper East Side getaway. Built in the 1930s, The Franklin Hotel is located at 164 East 87th Street. This romantic boutique hotel features 50 intimate guestrooms, daily complimentary continental breakfast from 7am-10am and daily wine & cheese reception from 5pm-6:30pm. Ideal for single travelers or couples, all guests enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi, complimentary NY Times & USA Today (in our lounge area), Philosophy bath amenities, and 24-hour cappuccino machine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cancelon, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, Agoda, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Franklin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Franklin Hotel New York City
- Franklin New York City
- Franklin Hotel New York City