“Great Location and Friendly Staff”
Review of The Franklin

The Franklin
Ranked #386 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“Great Location and Friendly Staff”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

My friend and I just returned from a trip to NYC to visit my daughter. My daugher lives on E 92nd street so this location was perfect for us. But it was also perfect to catch the Metro as well as to walk to Central Park. The staff could not have been friendlier and more helpful. Yes, the rooms are small but this has been my experience pretty much everywhere in NYC. The breakfast if fabulous and although the breakfast rooms are small they are comfortable and nice. These are the same rooms where the serve wine and snacks at the end of the day which was a very nice touch when you have had a long day at the museums etc. Although we felt the room was very small we felt the quality of the appointments was very nice. The bed was very comfortable (and isn't that what matters most) and the rest of the room and bath were nicely done. I will definitely be staying here the next time I go to visit my daughter

Room Tip: I think next time I would spend the extra $33/night for the studio just to have a little more space
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Linda F
Lisa G, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Linda F,

Thank you for staying with us at the Franklin Hotel. The team prides themselves on customer service and from the sounds of it they did a great job. We were so pleased to hear you thought the team was friendly and helpful. I know they will be really happy to hear they made your stay enjoyable. Thank you for choosing the franklin and we look forward to seeing you the next time you visit your daughter.

Lisa Grossberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
Connecticut
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

We had a king room, 3rd fl, overlooking 87th st. Small room, as expected, but nicely done and clean. Robe and philosophy amenities, iPod dock. Slept ok considering it's NY with truck deliveries at midnight. The hotel staff were so friendly and helpful. 5:00 wine/cheese was nice (cheese cubes, carr's crackers, dried fruit and red or white). Bfast was a pleasant surprise with yogurt, cereal, croissants, muffins, juice, coffee). It was plentiful. Cappuccino machine avail thru out the day. A/C worked fine. Cable reception a bit fuzzy. Starbucks on corner, Eli's, Fairway etc... Great location for visiting The Met. Would stay again ( maybe a room at that back is quieter?).

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank cnpotluck
Dear Cnpotluck,

Thank you very much for taking the time out to review the Franklin Hotel. We are super happy that you enjoyed the friendliness of our staff, wine and cheese reception, and the location of the room. We pride ourselves on service and from the sounds of it we were spot on. This is wonderful news as our staff loves to assist guests with whatever they need. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Warmest regards,
Melville, New York
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Hotel & rooms are the smallest I've ever stayed in. The hallways were HOT - even though it was not hot outside. There is no central air. Small LOUD air conditioner in each room. The old fashioned elevator was scary - a number of times it took several minutes to move - we started taking the stairs. The lobby is awful - there is no lobby. The wine & cheese was good & bad. The wine, a Cote du Rhone, was excellent. Some of the cheese was moldy. The area where you eat was old & dinghy. The "breakfast" is awful. The service is deplorable. There was free wifi in room which was good. And the bed itself was very comfortable. But, given how old and dated the decor is, how small & hot everything here is, there are much better options for the same money. Do not believe the positive reviews you see here, they are either fake or made by people who like old dated decor, terrible service, hot rooms, loud air conditioners, and the smallest hotel rooms you'll ever see.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel. Even though says Upper East side, it's too far away from the park.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank GiovanniMinaldo
Dear GiovanniMinaldo,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The Shoreham. We are sincerely sorry to hear that the visit did not reflect the high standards that we set for our hotel. We value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to correct the problem. I welcome the opportunity to reach out to myself directly , and sincerely hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Farmington, Connecticut
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We will be leaving this hotel in the morning and I wanted to review our stay while it is still fresh in my mind. The purpose of our trip was to visit the Metroplolitan Museum of Art and we were very successful in our quest. This hotel is very conveniently located for our purpose and a short walk to our destination. The day we arrived we came at 10:30 AM, dropped off our luggage, and were told check in time was 3 PM so off we went to the Met. We arrived back at the Franklin at 4:30 PM to be told our room was not yet ready so we waited for an hour until they found us a room. Because of our patience we were told that we would be given a larger room number 63. If this is a larger room, it is approximately 160 square feet of living space, than I feel sorry for those with a smaller room. In order to shave I had to stand sideways since my regular frame could only barely fit into the 18 inch space in front of the mirror. The shower was wonderful as was the air conditioner. The wine and cheese was nice as was the free breakfast. The only issue I has was the coffee machine did not work for decaf so for the first morning I had to go to Starbucks for my coffee. The rest of the mornings the staff made decaf coffee separately for folks like me who do not during high test. The TV worked but it was not high definition. This is a small hotel with a friendly staff that recognized us when we entered and left. There is no refrigerator or ice machine. You must request ice from the staff which each evening required a gratuity of course.

Maybe I am spoiled but for $350 bucks a night I expected more. Did I mention the location was great? Cabs averaged about $25 including tip to go almost anywhere on this island. We went to the Met four times in four days and only were able to see the American Wing. We enjoyed our trip but we are so tired we need to return home to rest.

BTW: the beds are great. Did I mention we loved the location? The convenience of the Franklin Hotel means we will most probably return to see other wings of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rohrshack
Lisa G, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
DearRohrshack,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and our rooms were to your liking! We pride ourselves in making every guest stay as memorable as possible. We hope that you will choose to stay with us in your future stays in NYC. Please feel free to contact us directly.

Best,
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed June 6, 2014

The good part: Loved the the wine and cheese in the evening. It was good wine too...not the cheap stuff. The bad part: The air conditioner was noisy and something near there was dripping...neither of us could sleep. So at 3:30 am when we discovered we were both awake we decided to just go to the airport and take the earlier flight out. Needless to say we did not have breakfast, which is too bad as the other reviews seem to think it was pretty good. Yes the room was small, but that is normal for NYC. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. Would I stay here again? Yes, but only if I had a reason to stay on the upper east side, which is not usually the case.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Lisa G, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Captiainmommy,

Thank you for staying with us at The Franklin hotel! I am glad to hear you loved the wine and cheese. But I would also like to apologize since you didn’t enjoy your sleep or TV during your stay at the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel as every single review helps our team get a better understanding of customer service. We hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Be well,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I normally don't stay in the Upper East Side as it's more business than neighborhood, but this sweet little spot was the perfect location for my business needs. Although the reception area is tiny and the breakfast room(s) small as well, the staff provided a warm welcome and were very helpful with everything. As I had opted for a slightly larger/more expensive room, I was given a corner room with two windows and nice natural lighting. The chandelier over the bed added that lovely touch of NYC glamour. Nice also to have happy hour wine and cheese and continental breakfast included in the price. There were some good restaurants close by on Second and Third Avenues as well as a small Zabar's offshoot on the corner. All in all, if ever I needed to stay in this part of town again, I would not hesitate to stay here.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a corner room at the end of the hall...High floors always better.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Lisa G, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Frequentflyer013,

Thank you for staying with us during your business trip to New York. We are glad to hear you thought the rooms were nicely appointed and the location worked well for you. The next time you are in for business we hope you try us again and perhaps we can find you a larger room. We hope you come back and stay with us again.

Foster City
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have stayed at the Franklin Hotel on many occasions. It is a small boutique hotel. It offers a light breakfast and wine and cheese in the late afternoon. We would recommend the Jr. Suite as the other rooms are a bit on the small side. The staff is very friendly and we have enjoyed staying there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Lisa G, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Sandy B,

Welcome Back! Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. We are truly delighted that you enjoyed our rooms and front desk team Also delighted that you recommend the Junior Suite to other guests. We appreciate that you chose to stay with us again. I’m very pleased that you loved the location of The Franklin . It’s definitely one of the major features that makes our hotel so special. We look forward to hearing from you.