“Nice room but very small” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Franklin

The Franklin
Ranked #364 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Paisley, United Kingdom
“Nice room but very small”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

A quirky little hotel. The 'standard' room we had was very small, almost filled with the king bed, so the 'petite' room must be tiny. Not much room except for sleeping. However the room was very nicely decorated and furnished. There was a nice wine reception between 5:00 and 6:00pm and a simple but adequate self service continental breakfast. The staff were friendly enough, but would not consider a check-in before 3:00pm, even if there was room ready. Only one single very slow elevator.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
david_sandler, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear anonyman_49,

Thank you for staying with us at the Franklin Hotel. We were glad to hear you enjoyed the breakfast in the morning and the wine and cheese in the evening. we hope the next time you are in town you choose to stay with us again. Please ask us about our larger rooms the next time you decide to reserve. Thank you for your feedback.

David Sandler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Polish first
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

This sweet little hotel is charming. The location is perfect for walking to museums and catching some shopping along the way. The petite room was itty bitty, almost too small for one person, BUT, clean and decorated sweetly. Staff super friendly. Would stay here again but in a bigger room.

Room Tip: The petite is not for someone who will spend a lot of time in the room. Loved the decor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
david_sandler, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Hotelhotels2013,

Thank you for choosing the Franklin Hotel. We are pleased to hear the staff was friendly and you enjoyed the location of the hotel. We do have larger rooms so we hope the next time you come to NYC and stay with us you will inquire about them. Thank you for taking time out of your day to review the hotel. We appreciate the review as it will assist other travelers in choosing the Franklin Hotel.

General Manger
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Myself and my husband stayed at this hotel on our first trip to NYC. We stayed for 7 nights, it's a lovely place with a quaint feel about it, the decor is lovely. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the location is great. 10 mins walk from Central Park, The Met and The Guggenheim. 30 secs walk from the subway taking you downtown (takes around 20 mins and there are express trains available if you don't want to stop all along the way)

The breakfast was a little bland and boring and sometimes the croissants were a little stale but don't let it put you off. We woke at 4am on the first morning we were there and so went straight out to find food. It was nice just to eat a little something and then go out searching for a nice place to eat - I was glad the breakfast was available.

The room was small (we stayed in a guest petite room) but very do able for a couple - there was a chair and a large bedside table with a lamp for bits and pieces. The sink was in the room and the bathroom had a toilet and shower. There was a small space for hanging jackets up. There was some crisps/chocolates/drinks available but we assumed they would be overpriced so we didn't take anything.

The air con units are loud but I took earplugs and slept fine...also I was so tired from walking around the city for hours everyday that I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

The coffee machine was left on 24hrs so if we got back late we would make tea and take it up to the room. There was also a wine and cheese hour but we were always out and about so didn't get to experience this.

Overall I would defo stay again - the hotel was clean, room was made up every day, the staff were friendly and helpful, and the location was great.

Hume, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is a very nice little hotel. It's in an older building (aren't they all, in NYC?) but has been updated very tastefully. The rooms are a decent size; the bathrooms are postage stamp. Beds are comfortable, rooms are clean, staff is friendly and helpful. This is not a budget hotel, but then again in this general location I don't think there are any of those.

1 Thank AoifeCuRua
Dear AoifeCuRua,

Thank you for choosing the Franklin Hotel during your time in New York City. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and felt the staff was friendly, beds were comfortable, and the rooms were cleaned to your standards. Thank you for staying with us and we hope the next time you are visiting NYC you will stay with us again!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

We really liked the Franklin hotel.

The staff were friendly, efficient and very helpful. The staff certainly worked hard.

The room was really small but that seems to be standard for New York. However, it was very clean and we got fresh bed linens and towels each day.

The location is terrific for the Subway, eating out, Central park, some shopping and feeling safe.

Breakfast selection was pretty good.

No complaints, no disappointments - happy happy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you want a quiet room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jilly1970,

Thank you for staying with us at the Franklin Hotel. The team prides themselves on customer service and from the sounds of it they did a great job. We were so pleased to hear you thought the team was friendly, efficient, helpful and hardworking. I know they will be really happy to hear they made your stay enjoyable. Thank you for reviewing the hotel and we hope to see you soon in the future.

Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed at the Franklin during a very expensive week in New York. It was between September 9th and 12th and the best price I was getting was 350$ in either Harlem or Brooklyn! I was getting desperate and came upon this hotel. They still had a prepaid summer special on their website and I ended up paying 179$ a night for a queen room! I was thinking what will be the big surprise when getting there.....why is this hotel so much cheaper than the others? I was eager to see the result.....here are the pros and cons.

PROS:
*The prepaid price I got.....it could not be beat!
*I enjoyed the breakfast.....more than enough....everything was very fresh
*Wine and cheese hour....they did not have that much cheese but their wines were very good.
*The service.....Everyone was so nice....I asked to be changed rooms because the queen room I had was too small. I was leaving for a 10 day cruise so I had a ton of clothes! The closet was actually a couple of hangers fixed to the wall beneath a wooden plank. It had space for about 3 blouses! I had signed up for an eupgrade for a king and they got it for me for the 2nd and 3rd nights.
*The king room......I think people should try to book this room. It was everything I wanted. I could open my suitcase on the floor and have plenty of space. Sadly, the closet was being stopped by the end table so I left everything in the suitcase.
*Last but not least.......the cleanliness of the rooms!!! They were spic and span!!! The bathrooms were impeccable.
*Location: I had never stayed on the Upper east side and loved it. It is a very nice area to stay in....great restaurants.....shops.....I walked day and night discovering new things. I highly recommend the area. With public transportation, you don't feel far away at all!

CONS:
*The size of the rooms......if you are a couple, it can get cramped and if you are staying longer than a couple of days.....where do you put your clothes?
*The air conditioning.....in the first queen room...it was directly airing on the bed a couple of inches away....not very pleasant. In the king room, it was further away so it was fine. It is a bit more noisy than central air conditioning and less performing.

I was hesitating between a 3 and a 4 stars but with the price, I opted for a 4 star. My usual hotel was over 500$ a night.....no way could I spring that price budget wise. I highly recommend this hotel if you are getting a great price like I did.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cricri7
Dear cricri7,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. We appreciate the time you took to review the hotel and provide us with feedback. Its nice to hear you liked the hotel amenities, cleanliness of the rooms and the location. We hope the next time you visit NYC you will stay with us again. From the sounds of it the Pro’s outweighed the Con’s and we would love to have a chance to make those Con’s go away.

We look forward to welcoming oyu back.
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel is just amazing. The staff make you feel welcome from the time you book your reservation, check in and leave. Marla at the front desk was so welcoming and interested in her guests comfort. Jose was so helpful and went out of his way to make certain we had everything we needed. We have stayed at many resorts and hotels but the Franklin really makes you feel like you have just come home. Small boutique family feel. The sitting area in the front is a great place to have morning tea and people watch. It is also so convenient to attractions, shops and restaurants in the UES. Over all we just loved our stay and cannot wait to return.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank SteelCityChic
Dear SteelCityChic,

Thank you for making the Franklin your choice of hotel in NYC. We love to hear that the staff made you feel welcome and that Marla took extreamly good care of you while at the hotel. The team prides themselves on service and from the sounds of it they exceeded your expecatations. We would love for you to come visit us again soon!