“Excellent choice for short stays and small parties”
Review of The Franklin

The Franklin
Ranked #403 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed here last week for the second time in the past three years. The hotel is conveniently located to Mt. Sinai hospital where I was attending a meeting during each visit. I don't expect much from small, European-style/boutique hotels beyond a clean, secure space when I am traveling on business. I don't spend much time in my room other than to sleep and I travel light so I don't require much space, or need the neighborhood to be "special" or to have a nice view (or any view for that matter).

The wi-fi is free and worked quite well on both trips...I easily conducted work in my room although I can understand (given the nature of the technology) that might not always be the case. Breakfast options and the space were fine for my needs, but if I had my druthers I'd like to seem them offer a cereal option that has more fiber than the two types they have had out on both of my visits. If I had been there with my wife it would have been fine as well but had I been traveling with my three children there's really only one spot for a large-ish group to sit and eat. I've never noticed, however, that the space was so crowded that people were waiting for places to sit.

The staff was very pleasant and helpful on both visits. Each time I arrived at 7 am after long red-eye flights and they were happy to store my luggage and invited me to have breakfast even though I was not able to check-in until later in the day. I.e., I got a free breakfast on each trip.

I think that the proximity of the hotel to Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, as well as a bunch of other, smaller museums on the upper east side, and the green subway line, are clear advantages to staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank travel_w-o_travail
david_sandler, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear travel_w-o_travail,
Thank you for being a valued repeat guest of the Franklin Hotel. Your review of the hotel was very helpful for future travelers to Manhattan’s upper east side. The team is delighted to hear that you thought they were pleasant and helpful. We are happy that you enjoy the location of the hotel as well as its amenities. Please come see us again as we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Other reviews pretty much say it all. A few steps from the 86 4/5/6 station, so transportation was easy, and all the museums a few blocks away. The rooms are tiny, but if you are a solo traveler you have seen smaller in Europe and can make due. Staff very attentive, butt he hotel is old and the rooms could use refurbishing. The elevator reminds me of an old Soviet era elevator I saw once oversees. In the event you run out of tings to do in NYC (HA!), there are sushi places everywhere and even an AMC theatre practically next door. Hotel will provide a private car service to JFK for $60. Breakfast only so-so, was not around for afternoon snacks.

1  Thank Jann1953

Dear Jann1953,

Thank you for staying with us at the Franklin Hotel. We are happy you enjoyed the hotel and the location. The next time you are in Manhattan we hope you will choose us again as your hotel of choice.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We would definitely stay here again and have already recommended it to others. Close to the Park, close to transportation, excellent service, free continental breakfast that was delicious, and everyone was helpful. Pet friendly, but we didn't bring our dog and never saw one. If concerned about room size, make sure you reserve the correct size room; ours had plenty of room. Most comfortable bed we have ever slept in! Definitely will be back there; others complained about hearing street noise, partiers where they stayed, and more. We didn't hear anything!

Room Tip: We had a king with enough rom for a roll-away. We were near the elevator, but never heard it. Some...
2  Thank CaesarBrutus

Dear CaesarBrutus,
Your opening sentence is amazing for the team to hear! We love that you will be choosing us again as your hotel of choice in NYC and that you will be recommended us as well. We are happy to hear you liked the breakfast, the hotel amenities and the location. Thank you for staying with us and we can’t wait until you return.
Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at The Franklin for a close friend's son's wedding. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was very attentive and friendly. The added benefit of the on-demand cappuccino machine was a BIG plus for us coffer snobs! We chose the Hotel for its convenient location and for that it was perfect. However, the room was VERY small, barely enough room to put two suitcases and the "on the wall" closet didn't even hold a man's suit and my dress. Having said that, the size wasn't unmanageable, but for the size, I felt the price was. By the time we paid for the room, all the taxes, and parking for two and a half days, our bill was nearly $800. I would recommend this hotel and stay again if the price were a bit lower.

1  Thank Laurieli

Dear Laurieli,
Thank you for staying with us at the Franklin Hotel during your visit. The team and I were happy to read that you felt they were attentive and friendly. We also enjoyed hearing that you liked the cappuccino machine, room amenities and location of the hotel. Thank you for the feedback as it allows us to understand what our guests need to return to the hotel. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Having done some research into hotels in the Upper East Side area I found the Franklin met most of my expectations for a 5-night stay for two of us in New York. The room was clean, comfortable and of adequate size for our visit (we had just one case each) but being at the front of the building it was somewhat noisy, even in the small hours. We found the bed very comfortable and were impressed by the tidiness/cleanliness of the room on return each evening; it was perhaps overkill to have clean towels every day but appreciated nevertheless. I share some others' comments about the lack of space for breakfast but managed to get a table most mornings; after all, it's a boutique hotel. The complimentary cheese and wine from 5 until 6.30 was a nice touch to unwind after a hard day's foot-slogging. Where the Franklin really scores is its location for those who want to do the museums and art galleries. Going down town was also easy with subway and bus stops nearby. Staff were welcoming, some more helpful than others. Overall we were very satisfied with our stay.

Room Tip: Go for the largest room available away from the front, where it's probably quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Martin L,
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write a review about the Franklin Hotel. It’s nice to read that you did some research about the hotel before deciding to try us. It was great to hear that you were impressed with the cleanliness of the room and that you felt the bed was comfortable. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you choose us again in the future.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We chose The Franklin for its location and pet policy, and it worked well for me and my spouse and our dog during a beautiful spring weekend. Friendly and accommodating staff—we were upgraded to a larger room (the small rooms must be REALLY small), which was clean with a comfortable bed, though most other furnishings looked worn. Narrow bathroom, with good water pressure for the shower. Our first-floor room was located in the back of the building, and was very quiet at night. Serviceable continental breakfast is fine for those who eat light first thing, including good coffee (go very early or late; dining room is tiny). We didn't take advantage of the afternoon wine hour. Best aspect is proximity to Central Park—a mecca for dogs and their walkers, people watching, picnicking—and Museum Mile. Also close to subway and good shopping and restaurants (if you go vegan or gluten free, Candle Cafe at 3rd and 74th is a must).

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are in back of building.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
david_sandler, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear ahtsguy,

Thank you for choosing the Franklin Hotel. We were happy to hear you, your spouse and dog had a fun time while at the hotel. It was nice to read that the team was friendly and accommodating, you like the location as well as all the hotel amenities. Next time we hope you have a chance to visit our wine hr. We really appreciate you staying with us and hope to welcome you back the next time you are in NYC.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I've stayed twice now at the Franklin when traveling to NY on business and will likely stay again. Very convenient Upper East Side location. Rooms are small - but all NY rooms are - but very clean. Beds are very comfortable. Closets and bathrooms are very small. This is not a hotel that is big on amenities, save for the continental breakfast. There is no concierge or doorman. No "business center" except for an antiquated laptop situated by a small chair right next to the front desk. Front desk staff are friendly enough but not terribly organized. Rising early one morning the desk I found the desk manned by a man out of uniform, dressed in very casual street clothes, who did not seem to be able to answer questions. Still, the hotel is charming and seems to be frequented by European travelers and other tourists, which is fine. Not a good hotel for those requiring upscale amenities for staff attention, but if you're looking for a convenient and charming hotel close to museums and the Park, this is a great place to stay. Continental breakfast (coffee, yogurt, croissants) is a nice touch, although the exceptionally small dining room does not make for a very comfortable dining experience. Free wifi - almost unheard of in NY these days. Lots of great cafes, restaurants and shops nearby. I will return again.

Room Tip: Rooms are very small. If you're not traveling alone, I'd recommend upgrading to a larger si...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear duomogal,
Thank you for making the Franklin Hotel your NYC hotel of choice. We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to provide us with feedback about your stay. The team and I take our guests feedback very seriously as it allows us to hone in on the guest experience and correct any issues that may arise. We are so pleased to hear that you are a loyal guest of the hotel and will be coming back to stay with us the next time you are in the city.
We hope to see you soon and look forward to welcoming you back.