The Franklin
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$178
  • Fitness center
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$176
$135
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$187
$114
Official Site
  • Restaurant
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$171
$152
$365
$322
  • Room Service
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$326
$271
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
$250
$239
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
$167
$135
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$159
$120
Park Central
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$100
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsupper east sidewine and cheeserooms are smallcentral parkmetropolitan museum of artyogurtnew yorkcontinental breakfastboutique hotelevery eveningaround the cornerwhole foodswine hourshort staygreat boutiquecoffee machinebed was comfortable
Reviewed April 10, 2008

I cannot speak highly enough about our stay.

The staff was so friendly and accommodating that I felt guilty if I beat them to the elevator door and opened it myself, which didn't happen often!

The continental breakfast each morning was great and saved us spending the extra money at a corner Starbucks or deli before starting our day. And with breakfast hours until 10 a.m., we didn't have to get up at the break of dawn in order to enjoy it.

The wine and cheese reception was a terrific amenity. After full days of walking the streets and sightseeing, we came to look forward to the reception as a way to recharge before we regrouped for nights on the town.

The room was small - I would suspect that's the norm in Manhattan - but the amenities, by far, made up for that. The flat-panel TV made the most of the room's limited size. A huge TV for the room and great if you're taking a few minutes to rest your feet in bed.

The plush bed, the fancy soaps and shampoos, and a spacious shower made up for any lack of space to put a suitcase. And, as a journalist, I loved getting the New York Times delivered to my room each morning and having the Wall Street Journal at breakfast.

The location was prime. The 6-line on the subway is around the corner and carried us nearly everywhere we needed to go. It travels from the northernmost part of Manhattan to the Brooklyn Bridge in the south, and is one train away from going all the way to Battery Park (Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island Ferry). I loved our proximity to Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and it was fun being in a part of town where millionaires are as abundant as taxi cabs.

When I booked our trip, I was considering our lodging more or less a place to catch some ZZZs before heading out again. It became much more than that and made our trip considerably more enjoyable.

I've stayed nowhere else in NYC to compare, but without question I'd stay here again.

Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank bluenewsome
Reviewed January 2, 2008

If you are even slightly concerned about how small the rooms might be at the Franklin, I suggest you look elsewhere because they are SMALL! But...if that doesn't bother you, everything else about the Franklin is a delight.

The staff is outstanding and even though we only stayed for 2 nights, we felt that they knew us, welcoming us when we came in at night and wishing us a good day when we left in the mornings. Check-in and check-out were quick and easy. What the hotel lacks in size, it makes up for in every other department...complimentary wine and cheese in the early evening, complimentary breakfast, complimentary internet use, complimentary cappuccino/espresso any time of day, Bulgari shampoo, friendly and helpful staff, beautiful linen, and the most comfortable beds ever!

I would recommend booking through Quikbook. I found our room for $319 for Dec. 28 and 29.

The location is a bit far away from the action but the subway is a 2 minute walk away at 86th and Lexington. However, it is a fairly short walk to 5th Avenue and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank blimpie71
Reviewed December 13, 2007

My wife and I just returned from our stay at The Franklin Hotel
and found the hotel to be charming, quaint, clean and
staffed by friendly and helpful employees. Many others we met
on our visit have come back to The Franklin Hotels year after year,
and we plan to make our stay there an annual event as well.

Our less than $600 5th floor room (#51) was across from the elevator and had windows which faced 87th Street. There was an ample closet, 2 bedside tables and a small desk. It was very clean. Regarding size, the bathroom and room were quite comfortable by New York standards. We did not find our location to be noisy.

I would equate this towards a B & B experience verses hotel.
The proximity to Madison and 5th Avenue, Central Park and The Metropolitan is fabulous. We lived in New York for years, and it honestly felt like we were home again.

If you want a large, quiet and sterile room in New York City I'm sure that they are available at this price. However, I believe this is an under-rated hotel that serves a bed-and-breakfast experience
at a fabulous price. Give it a try. It is romantic.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank 4the3rdSun
Reviewed August 27, 2007

My 16 year old daughter and I just got back from a wonderful trip to New York with her two girlfriends and their Moms. We stayed at the Franklin Hotel in the Upper East Side. We loved this hotel, the small, intimate rooms, the wonderful, helpful staff, the safe, quiet location. The breakfast and the 5:00 wine and cheese were perfect. Shaka, our bell boy, arranged a car for the six of us for our trip back to the airport and surprised us with a black limo.
The rooms are small and you should request one that has been remodeled, say on the 9th floor. But the beds are very comfortable and our air conditioning worked well. We will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank winter_weary
Reviewed August 11, 2007

From the minute we arrived at the door, we were warmly welcomed and treated extremely well. The staff is very friendly and helpful without exception.

The rooms are on the small side, however this is Manhattan and this is an older building. The rooms are tastefully decorated, extremely clean and have everything you need to make your stay a pleasant one. I should also add that the air conditioner kept the room nice and cool on those humid summer nights.

The location is great, it's a 2 minute walk to the 86 subway on the green line. There are many cafes and restaurants on 3rd, a Starbucks right on the corner of 87/Lex as well. There is also a grocery store and pharmacy just north on Lex.

The continental breakfast is a nice touch and is especially great if you have to depart early in the morning.

This is the first time in New York when we've stayed uptown. We eagerly await our next stay at the Franklin.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple