“warm and friendly”
Review of The Franklin

The Franklin
Ranked #385 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We luved this little hotel,great location,friendly staff,small and clean,couldn't have asked for more.Nothing was too much trouble,very helpfull. Hubby and i said there for 2 week's and enjoyed every minute.The breakfast was nice,and off course the wine and cheese.We met lot's of lovely people from all over America.Would recommend this little hotel,would book again next time i come to new york. Thank you all Jim Janette Macaulay

Room Tip: Book early and avoid disappointment.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Franklin

Reviewed May 25, 2011

Having previously stayed and found both the service and quality of staf being excellent, some disappointment this time in not the same welcome at reception; being disinterested and un-enthuasiastic. The previously excellent breakfast and everning wine/cheese reception being replaced with self serve and plastic plates and knives and forks. Not good on presentation or from a 'green' point of view. The previously fine selection of cheese's {as is still advertised] being reduced to plastic covered soft cheeses......
Evening reception with other guests is still a highlight and a great way to share experiences of the day with fellow hotel guests. The rooms [which everyone agrees are small and some very tiny] are nevertheless very clean and modern. And location is excellent for Upper East Side and indeed for central New York [and great to walk in Central Park which is very nearby]
In conclusion hoping our little disappointments are just a blip rather than being the norm....as others have said it can be a truly great place to stay in New York

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank malbev
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I almost don't want to give away the secret! I love this little place so much. The rooms are small (some tiny), very European. However, the charm outweighs the cons for me. Absolutely lovely sitting room off the lobby - great place to meet friends, and the wine and cheese in the evenings is a great touch. I would recommend this place to anyone visiting the upper east side.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FlyingGirlLB
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I like this hotel very much. Tiny lobby, small rooms, but charming and clean. Comfortable bed and good shower (minuscule sink). Excellent service. Little luxuries like European-style continental breakfast, all-day cappuccino maker, wine & cheese reception in the afternoon. I prepaid through Hotels.com. However, when I checked out, i was told there was a $12/day "service charge" for all those little luxuries. Front Desk staff told me I'd have to go back to Hotels.com to arrange for a refund. Left quite a bad taste in my mouth as I left. Not sure if I'll go back. There's nothing worse than hidden fees. For $350/night, you'd think they could spot me a cup of cappuccino each night.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank sbg18
Reviewed April 30, 2011

A great little hotel; small, warm, friendly. Great breakfast - included in the room rate. 24hr coffee/tea in the breakfast lounge. Rooms small and lacking in storage for luggage but very clean (and I am very picky about such things!), everything you need, a very good nights sleep - and we stayed for 4 and slept brililantly the whole time. I would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay again. Perfect for seeing the musuems...central park...and feels like a bit of peace from the hectic areas like Times Square.

Room Tip: Good hairdryer provided ladies :)
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jobunn
Reviewed April 30, 2011

At first I was charmed by this small hotel on the UES - old-fashioned elevator, small yet quaint room with a nice wall-mounted TV and comfy bed. Unfortunately the air conditioner was very loud, the internet wasn't working and the breakfast selections were meager, but I still planned on giving the hotel a decent review until I checked out.... I had booked and pre-paid on-line with hotels.com, but was informed by the front desk clerk that I owed a $12 booking fee to the Franklin. I said I thought hotels.com didn't have a booking fee and was told rather rudely to pay up and take my complaint to hotels.com. Of course I did and there isn't supposed to be a booking fee. Hotels.com called the Franklin for me and they confirmed that they had charged me an extra $12, but they called it a "resort fee". Give me a break - there were no pools, tennis courts, golf courses there - it was certainly not a resort! It's not the money, it's the principle. I hate being deceived and taken advantage of, and that's how I felt when I left the Franklin. I was told it was a "booking fee", hotels.com was told it was a "resort fee". If you're going to overcharge people at least get your stories straight! If you do decide to stay at the Franklin be sure you ask about every possible hidden fee first!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Carolynvonm
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I went into the tiny dark lobby and asked if I could see a room. The person at the front desk was unfriendly and said the hotel was booked . I couldn't visit any room out of 50 ! The only place I could see was in the back. I was directed to see the back's tiny dark living room.The breakfast room was tiny and dark as well. The person at the front desk seemed annoyed with my questions told me they didn't have 2 beds in one room. I was inquiring for my brother and his son who are coming this summer and the person answered they would have to sleep in the same bed for $250 a night ! I had been talking to my sister from France on the phone and we both had such a different idea of the hotel from the website, I just wanted to let people know that this place is not what it appears to be!......

• Stayed: April 2011