WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Perfect little hideaway....a great base for exploring the Big Apple!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Franklin

The Franklin
Ranked #354 of 477 Hotels in New York City
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Perfect little hideaway....a great base for exploring the Big Apple!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2011

A great little hotel; small, warm, friendly. Great breakfast - included in the room rate. 24hr coffee/tea in the breakfast lounge. Rooms small and lacking in storage for luggage but very clean (and I am very picky about such things!), everything you need, a very good nights sleep - and we stayed for 4 and slept brililantly the whole time. I would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay again. Perfect for seeing the musuems...central park...and feels like a bit of peace from the hectic areas like Times Square.

Room Tip: Good hairdryer provided ladies :)
1 Thank jobunn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Polish first
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2011

At first I was charmed by this small hotel on the UES - old-fashioned elevator, small yet quaint room with a nice wall-mounted TV and comfy bed. Unfortunately the air conditioner was very loud, the internet wasn't working and the breakfast selections were meager, but I still planned on giving the hotel a decent review until I checked out.... I had booked and pre-paid on-line with hotels.com, but was informed by the front desk clerk that I owed a $12 booking fee to the Franklin. I said I thought hotels.com didn't have a booking fee and was told rather rudely to pay up and take my complaint to hotels.com. Of course I did and there isn't supposed to be a booking fee. Hotels.com called the Franklin for me and they confirmed that they had charged me an extra $12, but they called it a "resort fee". Give me a break - there were no pools, tennis courts, golf courses there - it was certainly not a resort! It's not the money, it's the principle. I hate being deceived and taken advantage of, and that's how I felt when I left the Franklin. I was told it was a "booking fee", hotels.com was told it was a "resort fee". If you're going to overcharge people at least get your stories straight! If you do decide to stay at the Franklin be sure you ask about every possible hidden fee first!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Carolynvonm
NYC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

I went into the tiny dark lobby and asked if I could see a room. The person at the front desk was unfriendly and said the hotel was booked . I couldn't visit any room out of 50 ! The only place I could see was in the back. I was directed to see the back's tiny dark living room.The breakfast room was tiny and dark as well. The person at the front desk seemed annoyed with my questions told me they didn't have 2 beds in one room. I was inquiring for my brother and his son who are coming this summer and the person answered they would have to sleep in the same bed for $250 a night ! I had been talking to my sister from France on the phone and we both had such a different idea of the hotel from the website, I just wanted to let people know that this place is not what it appears to be!......

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank Cpasjuste
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

The regular room at the Franklin is a bit on the small side, but very clean. The bathroom was clean with Bulgari products, which was very nice. The bed was comfortable and the service was good. Breakfast was served European style and you can stop by anytime to grab a cup of coffee. Overall, a good visit and experience!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Vail, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2011

I went to NYC for my 25th birthday this year. Wanted to celebrate a milestone in a big city so I after searching the area I wanted to be in, I found a good rate for this hotel. After reading some other reviews I decided it ranked the best one for the price. I was really nervous since this was my first time to the big apple. The hotel was right in the middle of everything! I was so excited. When I arrived, the bellman was quick and polite. The front desk help was awesome. The elevator was old (right out of a movie), cool to experience it. My room was small but so perfect for me. With the windows closed, you couldn't hear any outside noise which was a plus but wouldn't have been a killer since I was there to experience the city. It was modern, completely chic and clean! The shower was hot and the robe/slippers provided by the hotel just 'glammed' it even more. The sheets, comforter and towels were all plush. Honestly, I almost took the overlay-blanket home it was so comfortable and cozy. This hotel room was just as nice as any suites I've stayed at in Vegas. Location was perfect, hotel staff was great and I will definitely return!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank valleegirl22
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

We booked 3 nights at this hotel and loved it. We had read the reviews and were aware that the rooms were on the small side but then who stays in their room in New York. The bed was so so comfortable and we slept like babies. Behind the small lobby were 2 very welcoming rooms where guests could enjoy a continental breakfast. More than adequate and so friendly chatting to other visitors. The coffee machine was available 24/7 and if by chance if you returned to the hotel around 6ish cheese and wine was freely available. Very civilised!! The staff were so helpful and in particular Daphne was incredibly friendly and couldnt do enough for us. We used the subway which was just around the corner and had no problems getting about and so cheap. We have decided never to go to one of the big hotels in the hussel and bussel but to return here everytime. Fantastic and thankyou guys we will see you soon.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aidlin
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2011

We are just back from three nights at this lovely little hotel on the Upper East Side and this is to say that we loved everything about it. The Franklin is comfortable, gleaming, quiet, lovely and clean. It combines the charming feel of another time with up-to-date features and amenities. The staff is extra helpful and friendly. The daily late-afternoon wine-and-cheese buffet is a very nice chance to relax for a bit before your evening begins, and an opportunity to chat with other guests if you like or just chill on your own. If you are planning museum visits, the major UES museums are quite nearby; in general the location is only inconvenient if you are a person who won't take the subway: a 4, 5, and 6 line express stop is just one block away. Yes, the rooms are tiny - we had a "superior queen," which while small is not the smallest room in the hotel (that's the "Petite Queen," which, seriously, is best for people of moderate stature traveling solo) but it suited us very well. If you need a lot of room, or come to New York to spend the days in your room, then don't stay here. But if you plan to be out and about, this is a great place to come back to, warm, gracious and welcoming. We are very happy to have found out about this place and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The Petite Queen is best for single folks