“Nothing special but a nice place where to stay”

Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #365 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Nothing special but a nice place where to stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Been here for a week and I was not particularly impressed by the hotel.
Is situated in a very interesting point but the room seemed too old for me.
The size of the room was big enough (like the bathroom) and the room service really good in fact everything was always clean and tidy.
Concierge has always been exceptional, able to satisfy all my needs.
Breakfast is really too expensive and forced me to eat out (luckily there's Eataly close by).

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Dessler75

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at the Carlton for the weekend and were pleasantly surprised - check-in was efficient and friendly and the room was great - everything you could want in a hotel including free wireless! If you like a hotel like I do, with a nice bed, flat screen tv, hangers that you can actually take off the closet rod and move, bathrobes, and great toiletries (Molton Brown!) then this place is perfect :) We stayed in a room without a view, but since it was on "the inside" it was really nice and quiet at night. The alarm was set in the room next to us and the people staying in it weren't there, and when the alarm went off around 6:30 am, the hotel staff took care of it really quickly, sending security to turn it off. The temp control in the room is great and since it was a really hot and humid weekend that was a huge plus for us. We also appreciated having a safe for our passports. Hotel door staff are super helpful in hailing cabs, particularly when it's busy or raining, and all the staff were unfailingly helpful and friendly. The lobby is beautiful and cool (thank you, a/c) and there's a great hotel bar and restaurant that we didn't have a chance to try. I'd have a hard time staying anywhere else now that I know about this place. In terms of what is 'around', there's a Dunkin Donuts on the corner but even better, around the corner a place called Birch Coffee that has great breakfast food. There are also a few stores and it's a nice walk up fifth avenue to Central Park, or else the subway is nearby. If you're looking for restaurants we recommend La Bonne Soup on 55th or Frankie's at 570 Hudson, the latter being a bit more romantic for a night out and the first one more casual but amazing food.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room without a view, but since it was on "the inside" it was really nice an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank l0ves2travl
vfreeman1, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Carlton and for complimenting the service the staff provided.
Best regards,
Park City, Utah, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

The lobby is really fantastic, decorated well, and welcoming while the service is terrific. We got lots of help in finding options for eating nearby, even with our certain dietary requests.

The rooms have been modified and are very accommodating and the bathrooms exceeded our expectations...much bigger than you might think. Don't let the hallway sizes fool you.

The gym was fantastic and has everything you need for a real workout. 2 treadmills, 3 elliptical trainers, full set of weights (only draw back...only goes up to 27-30 lbs), and a serious universal machine with cables. Plenty of space too...you will NOT need to find a gym if you are a health nut.

I came on business, but will book here with my wife when we visit NYC next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank James H
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are so pleased to read your comments with regards to our rooms and our fitness center. We look forward to welcoming you and your wife on your next visit to New York.
Cordially,
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

e went for a week holidays in Carlton hotel .It was a suggestion by our travel agent. The hotel is in a central but not crowded location . Subway is in a short distance ( about 300 m). There is a very nice "slow fast food" named Essen in a distance of 100 m far where we ate our breakfast as well as nice salads and sushi in reasonable prices. Our room was a standard with a double bed , small but cozy and with a comfortable mattress and good-like furniture. A small room (closet) was opossite the bed and a large flat tv were nice for our accomodation .Our room had a nice view in a small park behind the building,but I suppose that many rooms do not have a view but only walls very close to windows..Personell was very friendly and a guy was present in a special position for giving informations about the city. Good aircontitioning - no noise - vey clean - nice bathroom .And at last : we asked about the ways to go to JFK for our return flight .They suggested not to take a taxi , but to call a car with a driver and that would be cheaper and better. We thought that this would be a car in an official relation with the hotel , but we surprised because the final price was 70 dollars (taxi about 57).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elenisavvopoulou
Thank you for choosing the Carlton hotel for your week’s holiday. We are so very pleased that you enjoyed all that New York has to offer!
Kind regards,
Northborough, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed here recently for work and found the hotel to meet my needs, but it didn't blow me away. The hotel itself is a very pretty hotel with lots of charm, combining historical characters of the hotel with modern charm.

This hotel is about a 15 minute walk from Penn station. I arrived on a Sunday afternoon, right after a long holiday weekend. The taxi line was HUGE, so my colleague and I decided to just walk (in 95* heat - yikes!). The walk was easy and not too bad. I'm not sure I'd consider this hotel if I were to return for pleasure because it didn't seem like it was in the middle of the action.

When checking in, I was promptly greeted and given my key. I was with a colleague, so fortunately the person checking her in told us where everything was, as the girl I dealt with seemed to have no interest in her job. She handed me my key and said I was in room 820. No guidance on where the elevators were, no information on the hotel... nothing.

The room itself was decent. By New York City standards, it was a decent size, but compare it to any other city in the US, and this room would be small. The bathroom was a decent size, but had an awkward layout to use the toilet. The lighting could have been better too. Most importantly though, the rooms were clean. I will say, it is obvious the building is older, as it clearly hasn't been soundproofed. I could hear quite a bit in the hallways and outside at night. If you're sensitive to noise, bring earplugs.

The meeting space in this hotel was pretty standard for your Marriott-branded hotel.

Would I return here, maybe. If the price was right, or if I were placed here for a business trip, I wouldn't complain.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Second stay in the last month. Had an executive king room which was very nice. Quite a bit larger than the deluxe I had last time. I have noticed than soundproofing between rooms is very good which is an excellent when you come back from a long business day. During both stays I have never heard a sound from the adjoining rooms. Overall quite a good experience. Will come back.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your return experience at the Carlton. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Cordially,
Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I have been to NYC dozens of times for work and leisure and when evaluating many hotels I would say "I may stay here again" but this one is a "will definitely stay here again!". We stayed at the Carlton for 3 nights in an Empire Suite and had a fabulous stay. The hotel has amazing decor and presents well from the moment you step into the beautiful lobby. The staff was very pleasant and eager to assist in any way. I honestly can't think of anything negative to say. Try it - you will love it!

Note - The salon is a great place to hang out with nice small plate meals!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and were comfortable in the Empire Suite.
Many thanks again,